• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Okay I seen the Should Samurott get Shell-Smash thread and thought... Does anybody else think Alakazam should get Aura-Sphere? He already get's Focus-Blast So why not? It'd give him a more accurate Fighting type move to Cover his weakness to darkness...

A Heart of Steel
Reaction score
Yeah, why not?

But, then again, I like the distribution of Aura Sphere being limited somewhat heavily. It's a rather overpowered move honestly. I mean, base 90 power and no-miss? But in all reality, there is no reason to not give Alakazam level-up access to the move, just at a high level.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What Alakazam really needs is a psychic-themed fire move, which has yet to be made.

Reaction score
What Alakazam really needs is a psychic-themed fire move, which has yet to be made.
Don't see what a fire Type move would do he has FB to handle Steel types... AS would help him since it's more accurate (though weaker)

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
Yeah, why not?

But, then again, I like the distribution of Aura Sphere being limited somewhat heavily. It's a rather overpowered move honestly. I mean, base 90 power and no-miss? But in all reality, there is no reason to not give Alakazam level-up access to the move, just at a high level.
I wouldn't call it overpowered. That perfect accuracy doesn't matter much more than just 100% in most situations; after all, hardly anyone drops Accuracy or raises Evasion (especially not in competitive battling). And power-wise, it's slightly less "overpowered" than the common Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, or Surf. Like those moves, I'd just call it "reliable".

N-Zap von Riegan
Reaction score
It doesn't really make sense to me. Alakazam's more about mind power, not life force. I think it's already too common of a move anyway, even if a limited number can learn it. It was cooler when it was nearly exclusive to Lucario.

A Heart of Steel
Reaction score
As far as it goes, I look towards the Snow Cloak and Sand Veil Pokemon....that's the accuracy irrelevancy that Aura Sphere engenders.

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Sure....why not, I...uh...guess.

Gotta say, this one's a little...random. Care to explain why you chose this particular move on this particular Pokemon for a thread? I'm sure there are plenty of other Pokemon that want/need new moves out there, why Alakazam specifically?

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Don't see what a fire Type move would do he has FB to handle Steel types... AS would help him since it's more accurate (though weaker)
*points to Bug/Steel types*
If Alakazam cares about that (he seriously shouldn't be coming in on any Scizors anyway, for fear of STAB super effective U-Turn, which most Scizor carry and love using lately,) he can always use HP Fire. Genesect isn't released yet, no Forretress in the right mind is going to stay in on an Alakazam for anything that isn't spinning and Durant is lol. I don't see the problem. And again, Alakazam can't risk getting hit by...well, anything, but super effective attacks especially. His defenses are slightly worse than those of a wet paper towel.

Comfort ghost
Reaction score
I'll have to say no, but this might be from a selfish point of view because I hate Alazakam be able to use the unreliable Focus Blast, let alone a move that can't miss. Combined with Magic Guard and Life Orb, it'll be extremely lethal, possibly overwhelmingly so. Maybe I'd change my mind if more Pokemon learnt Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
*points to Bug/Steel types*
If Alakazam cares about that (he seriously shouldn't be coming in on any Scizors anyway, for fear of STAB super effective U-Turn, which most Scizor carry and love using lately,) he can always use HP Fire. Genesect isn't released yet, no Forretress in the right mind is going to stay in on an Alakazam for anything that isn't spinning and Durant is lol.
Hence why I suggest a Psychic-themed fire move because HP Fire only hinders his speed (not to mention players who hate using Hidden Power in general).

Reaction score
I'll have to say no, but this might be from a selfish point of view because I hate Alazakam be able to use the unreliable Focus Blast, let alone a move that can't miss. Combined with Magic Guard and Life Orb, it'll be extremely lethal, possibly overwhelmingly so. Maybe I'd change my mind if more Pokemon learnt Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch.
he'sbalencedotuby his crummy deenses Alakazam is best for takig otu thins fast not for the long fight... Besides I think AS should be more common whats the difference between AS and FB? FB is prettu muc a stronger AS...

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
It's going to be unfair if he gets Aura Sphere when he can already learn Focus Blast

fight me
Reaction score
It would be an extremely minor, perhaps even insignificant change.

Poor Alakazam's rather iffy main STAB means that three coverage moves are almost a necessity for more offensive sets to make any kind of headway. This stifles one of Alakazam's biggest advantages, which is the tasty buffet of disruptive moves (Taunt, Encore, Disable etc) at his disposal. You're forced to choose between one of these, Substitute (which helps with his frailty), and a setup move for the fourth slot, or suffer terrible coverage. If it weren't for Alakazam's glass constitution, perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue.

Alakazam craves a good two move combination that would give him move moveslots to abuse in each set, Hidden Power just doesn't cut the mustard (especially paired with Psychic).
Aura Sphere's a better move to be locked into on a Choice/Trick set at least than Focus Blast.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Poor Alakazam's rather iffy main STAB means that three coverage moves are almost a necessity for more offensive sets to make any kind of headway. This stifles one of Alakazam's biggest advantages, which is the tasty buffet of disruptive moves (Taunt, Encore, Disable etc) at his disposal. You're forced to choose between one of these, Substitute (which helps with his frailty), and a setup move for the fourth slot, or suffer terrible coverage. If it weren't for Alakazam's glass constitution, perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue.
Unfortunately, your opponent will destroy your substitute by one hit - after barely setting it up - if he/she is too smart on switching out Pokemon.

fight me
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your opponent will destroy your substitute by one hit - after barely setting it up - if he/she is too smart on switching out Pokemon.
That's more or less why you need a disruptive move like Encore to use Substitute to it's full potential. Or at least have another slot free to set up a Calm Mind after forcing a switch and subbing. Alakazam doesn't have the move-slots to do either very well, and that Pursuit weakness hurts.

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
I'd be all for it. If anything though, I'd like to see Alakazam get Blizzard and Thunder.

Comfort ghost
Reaction score
he'sbalencedotuby his crummy deenses Alakazam is best for takig otu thins fast not for the long fight... Besides I think AS should be more common whats the difference between AS and FB? FB is prettu muc a stronger AS...
Focus Blast has just 70% accuracy, which puts a lot of people off using it. Since Aura Sphere can't miss and 90 power is still high, it would get far more usage. Alakazam can also use Life Orb without any HP loss, which would give his AS almost the same power as a FB.

But, as I said, it's just a selfish preference of mine, because I've been caught off-guard by the random Focus Blast users in the Battle Subway far too often. I believe giving too much type coverage to a Pokemon can actually remove strategy, (I hate Hidden Power for that reason) and Aura Sphere would give Alakazam a much more reliable counter for Dark and Steel-types.