• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
I would personally like to see not only Alakazam have Aura Sphere, but also Gengar and certain other Psychic and Ghost types. Focus Blast is good when it hits, but the accuracy for me is sometimes just too risky, when you are at that crucial moment in a battle, and the last move decides the victor.

I really wish I had Aura Sphere at those times, but at the end of the day what ya gonna do?

I think it should, but I'd rather see Focus Blast become more accurate, like 90 or 95%, even if it meant lowering its base power to 100.

While giving Alakazam Aura Sphere would be a nice upgrade from Focus Blast, even if it's weaker in terms of power, I would rather it get Thunderbolt first. I mean, it learns Charge Beam, Thunder Wave, and Shock Wave (and Thunder Punch). So why not Thunderbolt? That's one of the key advantages Gardevoir has over it. But I suppose giving Alakazam Aura Sphere would be a good idea. Or at least make Focus Blast more accurate to compensate for it (especially since other Mons would benefit greatly if Focus Blast got an accuracy upgrade).

I also feel like it makes some thematic sense for Alakazam to learn Aura Sphere, perhaps a bit more than Thunderbolt.

Focus blast makes more sense than aura sphere. After reading Alakazam’s Pokédex entries, the entries seem to have more of a focus on mind rather than aura. Focus blast, on the other hand, involves focusing with the mind whereas Aura Sphere has a focus on aura which doesn’t really have any mentions.

As for thunderbolt, it makes more sense for Alakazam to learn it over thunder punch because according to the FireRed Pokédex entry, “It does not like physical attacks very much”.

I do know that Pokédex entries aren’t the end-all be-all though this is all the evidence we have right now so I’m basing it off of that.

I personally maintain that anything that gets Focus Blast should get Aura Sphere. Additionally, it's also often psychics that claim to be able to see and make note of auras.

As for thunderbolt, it makes more sense for Alakazam to learn it over thunder punch because according to the FireRed Pokédex entry, “It does not like physical attacks very much”.
I just take this as a remnant of what used to be. Since it was a Special move (so in classic terms, mana-based and thus a magic spell) before it got retconned into an actual punch (besides, you could still headcanon Alakazam doesn't actually punch but creates a giant electric fist with its energy and then throws that at the opponent instead).

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom