• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash age or not ?

Should Ash age or not ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he should age but it feels like it's too late for that. I skipped a lot of seasons and started watching Best Wishes but got so tired of Ash going through the same things again. "Darn it, how could I have knows leaf beats water?" 'Cause you've been a trainer for 6 years goddamn it!! Of course it has to be like that to get the new generations of kids to start watching. I'd love for them to start another pokemon anime perhaps. A more serious and smart anime for us who have been along from the start could really enjoy and sympathise with. It really feels like they've lost track of the main idea and now there are just fillers. That's how I feel atleast...

Last edited:
he should be about 25 years old by now
He wouldn't be that old... time in the anime isn't the same as time in real life, lol. But I definitely see your point if he was that old, lol. It would still make sense if he's collecting badges at that age (as they've shown older characters competeing), but it wouldn't be entertaining.
I have calculated that he's probably around 16. Which is not too old, even for the show. I guess they would run into the problem if the show goes on for too long because he would eventually get to the point of being 25, but as it is (if he was 16) it's not a problem.
Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is Pikachu's battle experience. I know the anime is very loose on "levels", but Pikachu seems to be way under-experienced. All of Pikachu's experience through 6 regions has got to have accumulated at least somewhat. It is hard to believe that some random novice trainer sending out an obviously low-levelled Pokémon would even have a chance against Pikachu, yet they do, sometimes even beating Pikachu.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is Pikachu's battle experience. I know the anime is very loose on "levels", but Pikachu seems to be way under-experienced. All of Pikachu's experience through 6 regions has got to have accumulated at least somewhat. It is hard to believe that some random novice trainer sending out an obviously low-levelled Pokémon would even have a chance against Pikachu, yet they do, sometimes even beating Pikachu.

...maybe Pika gains one experience point per battle...

He should have aged.
They've already screwed up all continuity now, so there's not much point.
If he had aged, he could have been at least twelve or something.

Yeah, I would definitely say he should age, just not too much. Hoenn seemed just about right; he was clever enough to get creative in battles, but not to the point where he would be too "pro".

I think he should have, if only to have a physical representation of his growth as a Pokemon trainer. Nothing too profound, but a steady growth from kid -> pre-teen -> a well-adjusted teenager would have fit his character as the sagas went on and he learned and experienced new things.

I don't really care if he aged or not, but the anime made it seem like he was older than he actually was, then they confirmed that he was still 10 and made the mistake of regressing his character in BW. So I vote for that he should age and keep his maturity.

I dont believe so. I only think they would show an aged version when the series comes to an end and he is looking back on his travels with his own children.

Awe come on. They don't have to make him 27 or anything like that(Which he should be), but they could have atleast made him 11 or 12. Is that bad? Is it really bad? No. The writers are just trolls!

I personally don't see how Satoshi would be any different than he is now at 11 or 12, which is why I think it would be pointless.

I personally don't see how Satoshi would be any different than he is now at 11 or 12, which is why I think it would be pointless.

Exactly. He would still be dumb and hyper. So I don't see why they couldn't make him age a year or two.

Exactly. He would still be dumb and hyper. So I don't see why they couldn't make him age a year or two.

Probably because doing something that ends up being pointless is a waste of time?

People will end up being more disappointed that nothing ever changed because he aged. A narrator saying "Ash, now 12 years old, once again starts his journey..." and then the same old would really appease people?

I don't know really... It's kind of pointless for him to suddenly have started aging now. Besides in comics kids don't age and nobody gives a flip.

It used to bother me but now it doesn't really.

ash should never age! EVER!!!

Ash already turned 11 in a special.

As long as they handled his progression like they did in late Johto -> Hoenn -> Sinnoh then I see no problem in letting him age just a few years. In those sagas he was already acting as one would expect an older Ash to be in character and skill.

11 in Johto, 12 in Hoenn, and 13 during Sinnoh sounds just right while at the same time not too much.

Whatever special that was got retconned by the narrator in the first episode of Best Wishes, who stated he was 10.

That's great. If so then why say he's ten now? Because specials are a waist of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great. If so then why say he's ten now?

Whatever special that was got retconned by the narrator in the first episode of Best Wishes, who stated he was 10.

^ Thats why, because he got retconned like Iteru stated. I dunno about you, but I see a big problem in retconning a character's development, not to mention the ridiculousness of every saga happening in the timespan of a few days. Those sagas might as well of never happened at all, and to simply keep Ash's age at the expense of everything else is also asinine.

Its not like a few years would have alienated the kids, but to be honest they should never had stated Ash's age in Best Wishes at all.

I don't know if those Pikachu shorts are even canon anyway...

Of course, it's possible he didn't turn 11 in that special anyway - we don't know what anniversary it really was - because... he just doesn't age, plain and simple. And it's not that the anime ignores the passage of time, as fans seems to think, or that everything so far has happened within a year, but that the characters just have a staple age that remains through the whole series.

Of course, it's possible he didn't turn 11 in that special anyway - we don't know what anniversary it really was - because... he just doesn't age, plain and simple. And it's not that the anime ignores the passage of time, as fans seems to think, or that everything so far has happened within a year, but that the characters just have a staple age that remains through the whole series.

Exactly
In Movie 3's short movie, they specifically say that they celebrate "the day Ash and Pikachu first met"
No one say ANYTHING about a birthday or about Ash being older now or something like that - people should've got the hint back then (especially when the more we progressed through the show, they kept not saying anything about his age and never mentioned such anniversary days again...)
I'm happy that Ash is stuck as a forever 10 years old, simply because I doubt he'd really change so much if he'll get older and also because he'll probably stay this show's star forever and this show will continue like forever and more, so I prefer to watch 10 years old Ash and not 30 years old Ash (and I'm sure most kids would also prefer to watch a show about a kid around their age, and not a show about some 20-30 years old guy)
I loved it when Ash slowly improved with the time and became a better trainer and a more mature person, regardless of age... I liked him the most in AG-DP... sadly things changed a little for the BW series, but I still like him the way he is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom