• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash age or not ?

Should Ash age or not ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if maybe they'll age up Ash within the next two generations. BW 2 does take place a few years after BW, so maybe they'll take this opportunity to do a timeskip; they did state Ash was 10 so maybe that was a Chekhovs Gun.

I'd honestly like Ash to be 11 at most. Aging him a few months won't hurt anything - heck, Red wasn't even 10 in his games.

That's great. If so then why say he's ten now?

Whatever special that was got retconned by the narrator in the first episode of Best Wishes, who stated he was 10.

^ Thats why, because he got retconned like Iteru stated. I dunno about you, but I see a big problem in retconning a character's development, not to mention the ridiculousness of every saga happening in the timespan of a few days. Those sagas might as well of never happened at all, and to simply keep Ash's age at the expense of everything else is also asinine.

Its not like a few years would have alienated the kids, but to be honest they should never had stated Ash's age in Best Wishes at all.

Then the problem can be solved with the writers making him 11 when B2W2 arc starts

I'm curious if maybe they'll age up Ash within the next two generations. BW 2 does take place a few years after BW, so maybe they'll take this opportunity to do a timeskip; they did state Ash was 10 so maybe that was a Chekhovs Gun.

And I was too scared to suggest that same thing...

Wouldn't mind that...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I can quote Ash as saying; "Don't you remember Pikachu? This is the day we first met." Or something like that. He WAS at least 11 in that special. No matter though, because the bubble of space-time surrounding Ash is basically screwed, so the fandom will probably debate Ash's age for eternity.

I guess it would be cool if he aged. But if they said he was 12 and he's still acting the way he's acting, would people really care if he's a certain age or not?
I know I wouldn't. Age is only numbers. Boys mature differently from girls anyhow, so the writers could have still made him a dim whit again and it wouldn't matter.

Ash should definitely have aged by now. First of all, I think would take more than a year to explore each region by foot, including the TV series exclusive locations. To have had this many adventures by now and not have aged despite a kinda-older sounding voice doesn't make sense to me. Secondly, in Pikachu and Pichu, Ash had already said that it had been a year since had met Pikachu, so this would have made him 11 after Spell of the Unown. Thirdly, Ash has celebrated Christmas at least once during the series. Remember that special that came out on VHS where Pikachu and the gang have fun with the ice and snow and help Santa's Stantler?

Ash not having aged is what really turns me away from the anime now, and I would rather read the Adventures manga. I've read part of the B&W chapter but I'd rather start from the beginning... Red>Ash.

I guess it would be cool if he aged. But if they said he was 12 and he's still acting the way he's acting, would people really care if he's a certain age or not?
I know I wouldn't. Age is only numbers. Boys mature differently from girls anyhow, so the writers could have still made him a dim whit again and it wouldn't matter.

What about the way that he was acting in Hoenn and Sinnoh? Thats pretty much what sums up an older more mature Ash. Even in late Johto he shown some maturity, or at least that his experiences were starting to change him.

Thats literally all I'm asking for.

I guess Ash being 12 year isn't bad !
Neither too Old or Neither too young !
Physical Chang : Taller then Misty & has much better & cuter version of his hairstyle !
Personality Change : Become calmer & Smarter because of all his past experience ! Now he's the one gave people Advise in a cool Passion & Became really strong ! Strong enough to win any battle using a completely weak pokemon !
However he become Too Carefree & Dense ! He doesn't seem to notice normal thing but he manage to notice thing that other can't . Also he become really Athletic & Physically strong !
Basically , He became a true shonen Hero !
However , In order to become Cool , Smarter, Calmer & Mature with Carefree & Dense personality , Something must happen to Ash which will cause he personality to change !
So, Aging is a perfect excuse !
Writer can't make Ash cooler for little Kids !
Too Bad, Ash wasn't very good in the start but that what was good at the Beginning !
Because if someone like Ash manage to become something we want to grow up to be , then it would inspire little kids !
But, seeing Ash as a totally uncool loser for 14 year , I guess little Kids completely broken !
Also , It will teach them to STOP competeting against a ''Child Prodigy because A Child Prodigy will always be 5 year ahead of Them !
So , Either Writer crush all children hope & dream or Age him at least a 12 year old & make him a cool person a little kid see as a Idol !
Well, This is a thread about Ash should age or not !
Here my anywer

I always thought, when Delia said, in the second episode of Best Wishes, on how much Ash would change when left was a little of foreshadowing that Ash would age. But this is just me looking into it too much. But anyways, I think should age. Like many have said, there are many examples of shows that show signs of the characters aging and they have no problem. I think the writers are afraid for Ash to age is because if they do age him, sooner or later, he would have to be let go.

This aging topic is limited only to Ash. Why? The other characters must be mentioned here. In months reading this topic, I notice other characters mentioned but not common except for Ash. The topic must be change to "Should all Pokemon characters age or not?"

Please, do not limit Ash for this aging topic. Include the other characters is the best solution to this topic.

What about the way that he was acting in Hoenn and Sinnoh? Thats pretty much what sums up an older more mature Ash. Even in late Johto he shown some maturity, or at least that his experiences were starting to change him.

Thats literally all I'm asking for.

I got ya. I was just thinking that if the announcers are gonna say what age he is, 12 is not too old and not too young. He could still be stupid and funny. But don't just say he's ten like he's just starting his Pokemon journey for the first time. That's what bothered me.

This aging topic is limited only to Ash. Why? The other characters must be mentioned here. In months reading this topic, I notice other characters mentioned but not common except for Ash. The topic must be change to "Should all Pokemon characters age or not?"

Please, do not limit Ash for this aging topic. Include the other characters is the best solution to this topic.

If you have a suggestion for an existing topic the best way is to PM a moderator saying so, because otherwise you're not actually contributing to the topic.

Generally as you said, no one really discusses the other characters aging, so there's no real need to change the title. If there's a notable amount of people who do start discussing other characters aging, then I'll change it.

I would like to see Ash getting older IF there ever will be a new protanogist or some sort of epilogue.

Else, why should he? A kid exploring the world full of magical creatures. 10 year old is the perfect age for that.

Oh God yes. It seemed as though he had aged a bit through Advanced through D/P, but Best Wishes ruined that.

I just want ash to stop acting like such a newbie in Best Wishes! I mean I don't care age wise but I like character development (There was some before Best Wishes) and Best Wishes just killed it for me. Age doesn't matter, attitude does, and the Ash in Best Wishes is just killing me.

I wouldn't mind seeing him age, but if he kept the maturity level he had in Hoenn/Sinnoh for potential future series beyond BW, then that probably be fine too.

Yes and No.

Yes - Because I'd like to see how that would turn out. If he matured up from his BW self (even more then Advanced/DP) or if he goes with a new additude, etc.

No - Because I don't see why he should age. Sure we grow up while he doesn't, I get that but he is still the same Ash, older or not.

The fact that he has matured since the first series makes it seem as if he does age, even if he doesn't. So Ash aging or not really isn't an issue.

It's basically all about maturity and not doing the same mistakes over again. The kid shouldn't age number-wise.

btw this.
401835_4105544923849_1416308217_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom