• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash age or not ?

Should Ash age or not ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off-topic, but just to state: It is never confirmed that the B/W protagonists are 16. I don't think it states their ages at all actually. Yes, they look much older, and they probably are (definitely not denying that, because some dialogue in the games point to that) but it never directly states their ages. Anyway, moving on.
I don't see why they even stated that Ash was 10. That was a very stupid move on their part.

The best way to go about this is retconing Ash being ten in best wishes. Just ignore it like they ignored time passing. The Ben Ten sequel series are better than the original IMO and Dragon Ball Z is WAY more popular than Dragonball so why not.

Yet Best Wishes is already poorer than the original Kanto series and Orange Islands. Its just not realistic considering everything about Ash that we know about.

If they don't ever replace Ash, then expect for him to get retconned at every opportunity.

The best way to go about this is retconing Ash being ten in best wishes. Just ignore it like they ignored time passing. The Ben Ten sequel series are better than the original IMO and Dragon Ball Z is WAY more popular than Dragonball so why not.

Yet Best Wishes is already poorer than the original Kanto series and Orange Islands. Its just not realistic considering everything about Ash that we know about.

If they don't ever replace Ash, then expect for him to get retconned at every opportunity.

Your use of the word yet makes me wonder if you miss understood me. I want him to age. I don't like best wishes and I want him being ten at that point to be completely ignored. What they did can go both ways so it should go that way.

Yes, Ash should age a level or two but that won't make the series any better. Even if they were to say Ash is 12 and the show is still as crappy as it is, I wouldn't still be convince that aging him is all it takes for everyone to like him or the show.

It's probably worth mentioning here, since someone brought up the Dragonball example....

Unlike western comics and animation, Japanese manga and animation has a long history of characters actually aging in shows targeted at children. There are some prominent exceptions to this, such as Doraemon, and arguably Detective Conan. You could put Sazae-san in here too, though I think that's more a show in the Simpsons vein rather than a title aimed at children. In any case though, there's many many more examples of where this wasn't the case. Granted, more than a few of these have had the aging happen in time skips between seasons (Digimon and Major, just to name a couple of examples off the top of my head), but I'm sure many of us would have seen at least a few anime where the characters talk about it being a new school year, or where they've moved from middle school to high school.

Pokémon has already had at least one occasion where the passage of time was acknowledged that I can recall, where it mentioned it'd been a year since Satoshi set out. A ret-ret-con to re-establish that and give him a bit more age progression wouldn't be all that difficult. Even aged, Satoshi would still be as dense as your typical shounen hero, so it's not even as if his characterization would change at a rate more than it has for the past few years (which I've always looked at as representing age myself) anyway.

It's probably worth mentioning here, since someone brought up the Dragonball example....

Unlike western comics and animation, Japanese manga and animation has a long history of characters actually aging in shows targeted at children. There are some prominent exceptions to this, such as Doraemon, and arguably Detective Conan. You could put Sazae-san in here too, though I think that's more a show in the Simpsons vein rather than a title aimed at children. In any case though, there's many many more examples of where this wasn't the case. Granted, more than a few of these have had the aging happen in time skips between seasons (Digimon and Major, just to name a couple of examples off the top of my head), but I'm sure many of us would have seen at least a few anime where the characters talk about it being a new school year, or where they've moved from middle school to high school.

Pokémon has already had at least one occasion where the passage of time was acknowledged that I can recall, where it mentioned it'd been a year since Satoshi set out. A ret-ret-con to re-establish that and give him a bit more age progression wouldn't be all that difficult. Even aged, Satoshi would still be as dense as your typical shounen hero, so it's not even as if his characterization would change at a rate more than it has for the past few years (which I've always looked at as representing age myself) anyway.

Agreed. Which is why prior to Best Wishes, didn't we all already view him as older when AG and DP started? Didn't we all notice he matured in the last two series?

How did May and Dawn turn 10 after Ash did, for example? He has to be older than both of them, and May should be at least 1-2 years older than Dawn.

Well, this is what happens when a series that has been in production for over a decade assumes that a floating timeline must be present in its storytelling in order to keep it on the air. As we have observed in other television programs that implement the floating timeline method to sustain their longevity and presence on the airwaves, the writers may be reluctant to change anything with the central and/or more popular characters that could cause backlash from their targeted audiences.

The physical appearances, and to a lesser degree, the chronological age of the major characters of any series may be kept consistent through a show's entire run, even if production continues for a few decades. The Simpsons characters have retained the exact same appearances and ages for over twenty years. South Park, on the other hand, takes a much more extreme approach in preserving the original nature of its major characters on an episodic basis. While three of the show's main characters have barely aged chronologically in the show's current run, the fourth character (who often gets killed in each episode) gets reincarnated into the body of a newborn and rapidly ages to match the physical and chronological ages of the other three characters by the start of the next episode. Some characters may be shown to age chronologically, while others may retain the exact same age and physical appearance throughout a show's run (i.e. Stewie and Meg on Family Guy).

It is evident that the writers are preventing Ash from aging chronologically in order to preserve the life and popularity of the animated series. Since the demographic audience of the Pocket Monsters series is very young, the production crew of this anime may believe that they will lose a portion of their market if they deliberately choose to have the main character age chronologically. Would young children relate to the adventures and experiences of a teenaged, or even adult-aged, Pokemon Trainer? Perhaps the appeal of the series wouldn't change drastically if the production team did decide to age the Ash character by a year or two. An eleven or twelve year old isn't all that different from a ten year old. I believe that the production team perceives this move to be risky enough that they might lose a portion of their audience.

On a more logical note, it is very possible that time in the world of Pokemon may be observed differently than how we perceive time in the real world. For example, we don't know how many days constitute a year's worth of time in Pocket Monsters. As viewers of the series, we assume that the amount of time in a year in Pokemon must be exactly the same as it is in the real world. However, we know for a fact that more than 365 visible days and nights have been featured on-screen over the course of this 700+ animated series. Furthermore, we cannot judge the time that takes place in between episodes (i.e. there was a 10 day gap between the end of DP128 and the start of DP131).

In our perspective, it would make sense for Ash to age by a few years at the very most. It wouldn't make sense to age Ash to the point where he is a teenager in a series whose targeted audience includes elementary school children. But should Ash age? Well, I don't think so.

On a more logical note, it is very possible that time in the world of Pokemon may be observed differently than how we perceive time in the real world. For example, we don't know how many days constitute a year's worth of time in Pocket Monsters. As viewers of the series, we assume that the amount of time in a year in Pokemon must be exactly the same as it is in the real world. However, we know for a fact that more than 365 visible days and nights have been featured on-screen over the course of this 700+ animated series. Furthermore, we cannot judge the time that takes place in between episodes (i.e. there was a 10 day gap between the end of DP128 and the start of

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that after 4 leagues and 7 regions it hasn't even been a year yet. Unless somehow the pokemon world's orbit around the sun is a LOT larger in radius than ours, there's just no way.

This is the only explanation I will take. I refuse to believe that he's not at the very least 12 years old, because, as you've said, there's hardly a difference between 10 and 12 year-olds.

And I still stand by my opinion that if age is so irrelevant in the series other than when it constitutes the beginning of a trainer's journey, then why even mention it at all after that event? I was satisfied with that ignorant bliss of age ambiguity until BW decided that it would crush all my hopes and dreams. (I've repeated this so many times, I've lost track)

It might be a stretch to say that the target audience would be dissatisfied at an aging cast...if anything, it would make then want to stay with them longer. Like how J.K Rowling designed her books to "grow up with the reader." Obviously, Pokemon did not have this intent, but considering that Ash is in that stage in his life where puberty will either hit hard and fast or not at all for another 6 years or so (*cough* and Ash is most likely to follow the latter model...), I'd say it's safe to cap it off at 14-15?

NOT THAT WE HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT THIS CANONICALLY OR ANYTHING...just leeway for our own creative input without canonical discrepancies...is all...

Also, repeating what Archaic said:
Would young children relate to the adventures and experiences of a teenaged, or even adult-aged, Pokemon Trainer?

Even aged, Satoshi would still be as dense as your typical shounen hero, so it's not even as if his characterization would change at a rate more than it has for the past few years (which I've always looked at as representing age myself) anyway.

And IDK about you guys, but when I was young, I actually preferred shows where the main characters were a bit older. It was a more foreign and interesting world for me :p

Last edited:
Yes, not because we would see Satoshi growing up eventually, but rather so we can have time pass naturally, so other chracters won't suffer because he stays young forever and timing doesn't becoming a mess so he can stay young forever.

But he were to age now, timing would be even more of a mess, so he probably should stay the way he is. So I am going to say no. He should have, not should.

Ash should aged into a teenager in next series !
Think, Ash lose in the unova league but Alder show up revealing that Ash process incredible quick witness but he can't use it properly.
Alder offer Ash 3 year special training which Ash accept .
3 year after Ash start his journey.
Misty rejoin him after her one of her sister get married & her husband took over the Gym.
Her hair style turn out to be different then game. It will reveal that Misty change her hair when she was a Gym leader & she change her Hair style again after she start her Journey.
It also reveal that she battle some of Ash rival & other game Protagonist when she was a gym leader .
In their journey, Ash & Misty met a rich boy who really inteligent however since he never gone outside , He easily gets excited about Normal thing.
After he met Ash & Misty. He find them to be A interesting funny pair of people so he decide to travel with them to learn about outside world.
He's Family own a lot of Resort & store through out the new region which surprise's Ash & co.
Then They met a Girl who's clumsy , Lazy , Airhead and has a big appetite. Misty offer her to travel with them after seeing her condition.
After Ash's 3 year training, his personality is change. Since he was train by Alder, Some of Alder trait is rubbed into Ash since he act like more carefree, Irresponsible & naughty person.
He also become physically Strong. But he still as dense about Romance he was before.
Ash also gain a new mental state where he can free his mind from all idle thought which turn him into a calmer & Focus person.
Ash goes into this mental state whenever he face a serious Battle or a Dangerous situation.
In this state he think really calmly & manage to notice thing that other can't Notice. Its kind a like how Black let Munna eat his Dream .
But Ash can enter in this state As Will & he revert back to his old self right after his Battle or Danger is over.
Plus He also able to read pokemon's heart like Bruno & Alder Since he was train with wild pokemon for 3 year.

So how you like it ?

This post contains material which is not suitable for young readers.
Parental discretion is advised.
(Personal opinion) Well, the creators don't want Ash to grow because, you know, as we grow we start developing , what can you say sexual feelings for the opposite gender. The creators may have that in their mind. They don't want Ash to generate sexual feeling for his female travelling companion. (once again personal opinion)

Ash should aged into a teenager in next series !
Think, Ash lose in the unova league but Alder show up revealing that Ash process incredible quick witness but he can't use it properly.
Alder offer Ash 3 year special training which Ash accept .
3 year after Ash start his journey.
Misty rejoin him after her one of her sister get married & her husband took over the Gym.
Her hair style turn out to be different then game. It will reveal that Misty change her hair when she was a Gym leader & she change her Hair style again after she start her Journey.
It also reveal that she battle some of Ash rival & other game Protagonist when she was a gym leader .
In their journey, Ash & Misty met a rich boy who really inteligent however since he never gone outside , He easily gets excited about Normal thing.
After he met Ash & Misty. He find them to be A interesting funny pair of people so he decide to travel with them to learn about outside world.
He's Family own a lot of Resort & store through out the new region which surprise's Ash & co.
Then They met a Girl who's clumsy , Lazy , Airhead and has a big appetite. Misty offer her to travel with them after seeing her condition.
After Ash's 3 year training, his personality is change. Since he was train by Alder, Some of Alder trait is rubbed into Ash since he act like more carefree, Irresponsible & naughty person.
He also become physically Strong. But he still as dense about Romance he was before.
Ash also gain a new mental state where he can free his mind from all idle thought which turn him into a calmer & Focus person.
Ash goes into this mental state whenever he face a serious Battle or a Dangerous situation.
In this state he think really calmly & manage to notice thing that other can't Notice. Its kind a like how Black let Munna eat his Dream .
But Ash can enter in this state As Will & he revert back to his old self right after his Battle or Danger is over.
Plus He also able to read pokemon's heart like Bruno & Alder Since he was train with wild pokemon for 3 year.

So how you like it ?

Please take your er, fanfiction out of Anime threads as it doesn't answer the topic at all. It would be more appropriate in a blog.

If Ash does age than no time really passes. If time doesn't really pass Ash winning the league does make sense. And if it just one rapid cycle than what's the point?

I mean having a show that runs this long gives them lots of advantages. They have the ability to tell a huge story that shows gradual change in the world and characters. The world is stagnant and the main character stagnant. Basically it is a story which is lacking plot. Which makes me sad because the world is so colorful and powerful I like to see change in environment. With so little time passes I can't see very much high tension events happening. One aspect of the story affects the entire tone. I being clear am I?

Basically time passes is more important to me than whether or not Ash grows up.

I mean having a show that runs this long gives them lots of advantages. They have the ability to tell a huge story that shows gradual change in the world and characters. The world is stagnant and the main character stagnant.

I'm just pointing this part of your post out because I think it reflects how I view Ash's development from EP001 to the final moments of the battle agaisnt Paul (and the moment Sceptile owns Darkrai's ass).

People bitched and moaned about Ash being a failure. But when you looked at how he fared in each League you saw growth. You saw a kid trying out different things and mix matching them. And he got stronger and learned from it. He developed, and developed realistically. It made you think that over the years he ws working his way up.

But then comes the battle against Tobihax and all that is flushed away down the toilet. Later Best Wishes starts and throws cement on that toilet.

ash not aging was one of the main reasons i lost interest in bw when it first came out actually... it doesn't have to be the fact that he ages per-say but matures and stays like that instead of giving him a reboot. one good example of an anime/cartoon would be the avatar series.... ang really didn't age much through the series as he became more mature about life and stuff and the whole thing was amazingly epicz and stuffs. anyways what i'm trying to get at is it really doesn't matter if ash ages much or not as it does if he shows more maturity as the series grows and keeps it. i thought they were doing ok on this until bw came out and pretty much reset ash... not cool at all...

(Personal opinion) Well, the creators don't want Ash to grow because, you know, as we grow we start developing , what can you say sexual feelings for the opposite gender. The creators may have that in their mind. They don't want Ash to generate sexual feeling for his female travelling companion. (once again personal opinion)

Ash would be a... late bloomer, shall we say. He'd probably only be aged up to twelve or thirteen, and a show like Pokémon would not focus on romance anyway, so I doubt that Ash not aging is due to the execs being worried about Ash trying to seduce Iris/Cilan/Jessie/Misty/Brock/Meowth/James/etc.

Anyway, I second the opinion (as of now) that he should have aged, but doing so now would just screw the timeline up even more and thus he shouldn't age at this time, but should age in the future.

Wow I love your avatar.

But I agree with the person above. Actually, there are many anime where the main hero is much older than Ash is very little interested in those kinds of things. In fact, its commonly accepted that its one of the main rules of Anime that the male protagonist stay oblivious for the most part.

Luffy from One Piece is a great example. Also Ichigo from the manga/anime Bleach, surrounded by alot of girls who he could take a romantic interest in but the series does not focus on that. There are likely many other examples besides these two.

So no, sexual relations are not the issue, and if the animators think that it is then they are childish themselves.

Get this part right, Ash is Anime Character
Not A Real Person !
That's why He Haven't Aged At All.
So, the Sexual feeling you talking about, Ash won't be having sexual feeling until writer gave him those feeling.
Just Because a Real person develop those feeling doesn't mean Anime character gonna develop those feeling too.
There is a difference between a Real & Anime character
After all, A real person wouldn't get his butt kick by a Beginner but Ash does because Ash is a Anime Character.
Ash doesn't decide what Personality he will have when he aged ! He doesn't has the power to this.
Only a Official writer & Director decide What personality he will have in future .
So There no need to stop aging him because he will never gain any feeling unless writer gave him one.
It's just as riddiculas as not giving Ash a cute female rival cause they thought Ash might develop feeling for Her.
10 year old Ash is now totally worn out so we ether need a new character or a 13 year old Ash with impressive personality !

I voted "yes". It doesn't matter so much to me that he should "age" visually (I mean, it'd be nice if he did), but they should definitely acknowledge that he is in fact older now. Saying that he is 10 is impossible since it has been stated in a few episodes that time has gone by (and not just a few days or months... it has been entire years). Even if he had the fountain of youth or something that prevented him from "aging" he'd still get older (as in, he'd still have birthdays... he'd still be here as time goes on... having the body of a 10 year old is not the same as "being 10"). The way they have it, it's like he's in some sort of time warp where no time has passed at all for him but time has passed for the rest of the world, which makes absolutely no sense.

Approximately, he should be about 25 years old by now - but nobody would want a grown-man going around regions collecting badges and acting stupid. It's sort of disturbing. When a kid acts stupid, it can be viewed as cute, but a grown-man being stupid is grown-up comedy, and Pokemon is for all ages, mostly kids. 10-year-old Ash being stupid and kiddy can be cute - 25-year-old Ash would probably won't.

Though, I would love to see Ash as a teen or so, give a chance to another main character to take the spotlight, stand back and act as a mentor. That's probably what the majority of the fans would like as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom