• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash get a Ralts/the Ralts like in Sword and Shield/Journeys/2019

KrspaceT

Reaction score
An observation about the Pokemon Ash has obtained in the series is that they all relate to their Pokedex entries fairly well: Dragonite involved saving people, Gengar haunting, and Riolu aura. All were also/evolve into one of the top Pokemon of the recent popularity polls.

That leaves the question of other Pokemon that could show up, and of them Ralts seems to fit both observations: its Pokedex entries about being attracted to positive emotions gel well with most any Ash incarnation and Gardevoir was a very high ranked popularity poller.

The only issue I can see is the existence of Mr. Mime, but previous series had type overlaps, a strict limit might not be in place for this team a la Unova, Mimey could easily go back to Delia or reduce in role further, etc etc....

What you all think? I think it is a very strong possibility.

That's an interesting thought.

On one hand the dex entries match well, but on the other Gardevoir somehow doesn't feel like an "Ash" mon to me, though to be fair I'd have previously said that about Gengar (and if you'd asked me in the first decade or so I'd have said the same about him getting a demonic-looking gargoyle).

I think since Mimey was left out of magazine scans that he's not going to be a regular team member so I don't believe that's a problem, though they may get used again later.

I did not think he'd have a Melmetal, such things change.
I agree that the line on what Ash "can" have has slowly shifted over time, from "fully evolved Pokémon need some sort of major flaw or to leave" to "he can have a Mythical". If you'd asked at any point before XY I'd have said he simply wouldn't get a fully evolved psuedo because it would stop him from being enough of an underdog.
And even then Meltan was a shock.
That's why I genuinely think the show might really surprise people near the end of the current series if they adapt certain elements of Sw/Sh in the show like Su/Mo did...

Admittedly Dragonite hasn't been used much and might get Goodra'd but there's no sign of that yet.

I agree that the line on what Ash "can" have has slowly shifted over time, from "fully evolved Pokémon need some sort of major flaw or to leave" to "he can have a Mythical". If you'd asked at any point before XY I'd have said he simply wouldn't get a fully evolved psuedo because it would stop him from being enough of an underdog.
And even then Meltan was a shock.
That's why I genuinely think the show might really surprise people near the end of the current series if they adapt certain elements of Sw/Sh in the show like Su/Mo did...

Admittedly Dragonite hasn't been used much and might get Goodra'd but there's no sign of that yet.

Hey Gengar's only had two episodes on Ash's team so far, with his pre Ash showings it might actually even out to being about the same.

Hey Gengar's only had two episodes on Ash's team so far, with his pre Ash showings it might actually even out to being about the same.
You're right in appearance count, but I mean Dragonite hasn't had a trainer battle yet while Gengar got one almost immediately, and we've seen Gengar is also getting the battle with Korrina.

Last edited:
That leaves the question of other Pokemon that could show up, and of them Ralts seems to fit both observations: its Pokedex entries about being attracted to positive emotions gel well with most any Ash incarnation and Gardevoir was a very high ranked popularity poller.

That's an extreme reach imo because practically all trainers in the anime other than villains have positive emotions so that doesn't make Ash special with regards to Gardevoir.

It's an interesting thought, but I'm not sure I could see Ash with a Gardevior or a Gallade. A Gallade would fit him more by comparison, but it isn't nearly as popular as Gardevior is. I'd like to see Ash get a Psychic or Fairy type Pokemon that isn't Mr. Mime, but I don't think that Ralts would fit with him that well. I do expect that he'll have more than usual five or six Pokemon in one series this time around though. Even without factoring in Mr. Mime, he caught four Pokemon in about twenty episodes. I could see him capturing more Pokemon, especially if they don't want to rely on his reserves as per usual.

I could see ash with a gallade but a gardevoir would be too girly for ash

tumblr_inline_phstifn43m1v2sdz0_540.gif

Leavanny may be male, but this mon is hardly a Tyranitar.

I could see him with a Ralts line only if it evolved to Erureido, NEVER to a Sirnight. Idk, but I can't see Satoshi with one of those, doesn't really fit him.

Though I'd rather have seen either Haruka or Hikari with the line back when they were main characters.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom