• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash use reserves in the Sinnoh League ?

Should Ash use reserves in the Sinnoh League ?

• I'm all for it, it's the best news i've heard all year

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • As long as he only uses his Sinnoh pokemon against Paul, I'm ok with him bringing in reserves

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • The only reserve he shoud call upon is Gliscor

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I'm indifferent, doesn't affect me one way or the other...

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • It's a slap in the face for his Sinnoh pokemon, he should only use them.

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Say, guys, you know what? I think the Johto pokemon need to evolve! Yeah. Imagine Cyndaquil and Totodile, not being a Cyndaquil and Totodile. Buoysel too, while we're at it. He wouldn't be a Cyndaquil or Totodile either! Wouldn't that be neato-rific?!

But man, am I ever pissed that primitive homo-sapiens evolved. I mean, sheesh. Those guys were already strong enough as it was, and they certainly proved themselves with their usage of sticks to gather ants!
You know, I was going to do this. And then decided not to. I'm quite glad you did instead.

Say, guys, you know what? I think the Johto pokemon need to evolve! Yeah. Imagine Cyndaquil and Totodile, not being a Cyndaquil and Totodile. Buoysel too, while we're at it. He wouldn't be a Cyndaquil or Totodile either! Wouldn't that be neato-rific?!

But man, am I ever pissed that primitive homo-sapiens evolved. I mean, sheesh. Those guys were already strong enough as it was, and they certainly proved themselves with their usage of sticks to gather ants!

You just made my day

ash isnt going to use his older pokemon in this league dude get over it...the only reason he did it in johto was because he kind of had to get rid of all his pokemon because he never even expected to travel to johto so i'm willing to bet a lot of money that we will only see one return and thats gliscor

ash isnt going to use his older pokemon in this league dude get over it...the only reason he did it in johto was because he kind of had to get rid of all his pokemon because he never even expected to travel to johto so i'm willing to bet a lot of money that we will only see one return and thats gliscor

Use proper grammer next time kid.

I don't argee with Grave-E, because Cyndaquil and Totodile don't have no reason to evolve when they are already strong the way they its, there its no reason for them to evolve at all.

I don't get why some of you guys think that Buizel need to evolve because he don't, he its already strong enough and there its noo need for him to evolve period.

I don't argee with Grave-E, because Cyndaquil and Totodile don't have no reason to evolve when they are already strong the way they its, there its no reason for them to evolve at all.

I don't get why some of you guys think that Buizel need to evolve because he don't, he its already strong enough and there its noo need for him to evolve period.

Even if what you say is true that the pokemon are strong enough as they are, doesn't mean that evolution couldn't make them stronger... i.e. Totodile was "strong enough" to defeat a kngdra in the Whirl Cup by biting the Kingdra's beak while it was preparing to use hydro pump... If it evolved, it might, I don't know, defeat a Kingdra by actually using moves that cause damage to the other pokemon, making said other pokemon unable to battle (or is that too revolutionnary anidea for you?) I'm not saying he absolutely must evolve, if he doesn't, he's still proven to be a good battler, but if he does, he might (shock! horror!) become even better and show growth...

As I'm saying, I'm only repeating what other posters have said to you 3178349214030 times before...

Anyway back on topic... the philosophical impications of Ash using reserves...

I think Ash will win against Paul with his Sinnoh team but they'll be quite hurt/tired from the battle that he brings in some reserves.

I plainly think that his Johto/other region pokemon were shown was to advertise them for whatever comes next.

Anyway back on topic... the philosophical impications of Ash using reserves...

You also have to take into account Ash didn't have a rival back in hoenn that's pushed him as far as Paul has, that could be another reason for him to use his reserves.

You also have to take into account Ash didn't have a rival back in hoenn that's pushed him as far as Paul has, that could be another reason for him to use his reserves.

Agreed he didn't really have a strong rival in Hoenn, but if you take into consideration his rivalry with Paul for the reason for Ash to bring reserves, wouldn't that mean he would use said reserves in his battle with Paul... sorta defeats the purpose of building strong rivalries with Ash's pokemon. But I agree with you, Ash's rivalry with Paul has focused him more towards his goal and the Sinnoh League than say Morrison pushed him in Hoenn...

I hope that Ash's time in the League is drawn out enough that Ash will use his previous Pokémon. Charizard wasn't there though, but I'm sure if Ash gets Infernape, he won't need it. But we'll see when it rolls around.

I'm indifferent to whether he uses it, although it may be sensible to have the reserves used against Paul, seeing how the loss was horribly done last time.

However, although I'd like a logically sound match, whether that happens or not ultimately doesn't matter to me. What DOES matter, however, is how Ash ranks up. If he gets top 8, like last time, I'll be completely annoyed, not because he didn't get to the Elite 4, but because that means he never grew stronger or more experienced, thus making the DP saga in essence pointless, like AG before it, and it even makes the Sinnoh Gym Leaders seem as bad as the Hoenn Gym Leaders (And I don't even need to explain the flaws about the Hoenn Gym Leaders, since Chaosblazer can do so perfectly. All I need to say is that they were as bad as JJM.). Now, if he made Top 4, then, while he isn't going to face the regional Elite 4 yet, he at least will have proved himself to have finally grown more stronger or more experienced, which is good enough for me.

Him not going up in ranks didn't make it pointless beause he was using only his Hoenn pokemon... pokemon he only trained for one region, where as when he did that at the Indigo plateau, he only reached the round of 16... and in Johto, he made the quarterfinals using pokemon he caught before Johto... getting him to the quarterfinals...

Hoenn still meant a more experienced Ash even though he didn't rise in the rankings... but I agree with you, he'll have to do better this time...

Ash using reserves against Paul is BAD, BAD, UBER BAD writing and I can stress this enough... Using reserves against Conway, Nando and Barry, it's ok but against Paul... no.

I don't get why some people think Totodile need to evolve when he's already strong as its, there's no reason for it to evolve when it is already strong enough, however it coming back for the Pokemon League and learning a new move its really good for it.

so i think most of us can now happily agree that its fine for Ash to use his reserves as long as he only uses his sinnoh pokemon against Paul.

so i think most of us can now happily agree that its fine for Ash to use his reserves as long as he only uses his sinnoh pokemon against Paul.

Personally, I think Ash should use his reserves against Paul, for a simple reason: Paul already has Ash's Sinnoh team down cold, which is why Ash got his head handed to him the last time he and Paul fought. If Ash throws some reserves into the mix, he can disrupt Paul's strategy. If he uses only his Sinnoh Pokemon... he's already lost.

Really, the only Sinnoh Pokemon who NEEDS to face Paul is Infernape and it's unlikely Ash won't use Pikachu. That still leaves four possible slots for reserves (Sceptile, Kingler, Donphan, Swellow? *shrug*) and I suspect it would be very worth Ash's while to do so.

Personally, I think Ash should use his reserves against Paul, for a simple reason: Paul already has Ash's Sinnoh team down cold, which is why Ash got his head handed to him the last time he and Paul fought. If Ash throws some reserves into the mix, he can disrupt Paul's strategy. If he uses only his Sinnoh Pokemon... he's already lost.

Really, the only Sinnoh Pokemon who NEEDS to face Paul is Infernape and it's unlikely Ash won't use Pikachu. That still leaves four possible slots for reserves (Sceptile, Kingler, Donphan, Swellow? *shrug*) and I suspect it would be very worth Ash's while to do so.

Worst scenario ever Ash not using its Sinnoh team against Paul would totally go against everything the show is about, every ounce of character developpement the writers have done for 4 years... The writers pretty much established rivalries between Ash's and Paul's pokemon off the bat and it's more a question of Ash changing strategies than ash changing pokemon... The number of times that those guys fought and lost against Paul, they deserve a victory... Monferno and Grotle evolving, Buizel learning a new move, Ash getting Gible... All of those things point to Paul facing a much different team that the one he faced last time...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom