• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Cilan return to the series?

sugarrush2015

Reaction score
Cilan was one of the best characters in the series in my opinion. It would be nice to see them develop his character more.

Re: Cilan Should Return to the Series

I agree. Cilan was an entertaining and interesting character in my opinion, but he wasn't properly developed sadly. I feel as if there is a lot more potential with him. I hope they will have him return some day and confirm he has upgraded to an S-class Connoisseur. At least Connoisseurs have not been forgotten, since one of the Showcase judges in XY079 was a Connoisseur.

I'd rather he didn't, personally. I found him really REALLY annoying. And his eyes really bugged me too.

I don't see why not.

With the presence of Pokémon Sommeliers in the Tripokalons (such as the one in the latest XY episode), they could tie Cilan's cameo nicely into his goal, perhaps he is sent to participate as a judge in one of the Tripokalons? Furthermore, that would give the writers the opportunity to reveal he has reached S-class.

Oh God, please NO! he's annoying af, Cilan and Iris please stay away from XY.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cilan again. Despite how he pretty much had no development in BW, he was still a pretty likable character for me and he bounced off well with Ash. I'm not sure if they'll do that, but I can see a Cilan cameo fitting in with XY better than an Iris cameo. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't appear, but I wouldn't be against Cilan returning for a few episodes either.

As long as his return doesn't somehow feel too forced, or he doesn't get shoved into the background most of the time, I would be all for it.

I'd love it. He was a great new male companion and I was upset to see him go. I don't like Clemont much

I'm not sure if the producers of the series could even afford to use Miyano Mamoru on a weekly basis anymore.

He wouldn't really add anything, so no.

One off cameo? sure.

Hmmm...on one hand, Brock and Tracey managed to come back, so it's a possibility.

On the other...he really didn't add anything and was extremely annoying. Also, I'm not sure the producers are so eager to bring back one of the least popular companions, from the least popular Saga...

Though the fact they have Connoisseurs in Kalos just opened the door...

Also, he could challenge Siebold to an epic cook off!

Last edited:
No thanks. I don't want Cilan to waste more time with his unfunny gimmicks and quirks. He had all of BW for that. :/

I'm not sure if the producers of the series could even afford to use Miyano Mamoru on a weekly basis anymore.

Ahhh, that brings me back to a couple of years ago when we had speculation threads regarding the likelihood of Iris and/or Cilan lasting past Best Wishes. I distinctly remember at least a couple of times that I said that while Cilan as a character had 50/50 odds of lasting past BW because of the role he served, the real deciding factor of Cilan's fate was Mamoru Miyano. XD On that seiyuu's whim, Cilan could literally stay forever or disappear and never be heard from again. IF ONLY WE KNEW MIYANO'S TRUE AGENDA... (sure the same can be said for all characters but not everyone is voiced by Mamoru Motherfucking Miyano)

but lol yes, IF they were to bring Cilan back, no way would they keep him on as long as they had Dawn in Best Wishes for monetary reasons alone. Which is probably for the best anyway. That was what, 8 episodes? And the cameo felt like an afterthought in most of them. 4 - 5 episodes feel like a more reasonable cameo length, but IF Cilan was brought back I wouldn't be surprised if his cameo was even shorter. :p

Since they did recently establish that Connoisseurs are a thing in Kalos, though, that alone leaves a good window for Cilan to sweep in for a visit. He was only going to Hoenn for a fishing thing anyway; surely a man with a ridiculous number of hobbies wouldn't be stuck there for too long. Kalos by nature gives a lot of opportunities for Cilan to make use of his skills, and really, I think Serena in particular could benefit greatly from his services. I would honestly hope that Cilan's either achieved his S-Rank upon his arrival to Kalos or before he leaves (maybe helping Serena could lead him to that?). Wishful thinking, but since he is one of the older main characters and already went through his main tenure in the series, it'd be nice to give Cilan some completion/closure for his goal. That way I'll feel better for his bros still stuck at the Striaton Gym and their gimmick can become complete again. :p

Plus, I like what I see in my head when I imagine Cilan interacting with the XY group. His chemistry with Ash was literally the only element I liked at all in the BW trio, Serena I already spoke for, Clemont's good for bonding over ~SCIENCE!~ (and give poor Clemont a break in cooking duty), and I can only imagine Bonnie would find him a lot of fun. Hell, I kinda wanna see Bonnie meet Cilan, then just give her bro a look while saying things along the lines of "Big brother, why can't you be more like THIS? If you were as cool and capable as this guy, I wouldn't HAVE to try to find a girl to take care of you!"

(I'm just totally gonna judge a lot of shit from now on based on how sick of a burn Bonnie can lay on Clemont, I've decided on this >:3)

But, just as I felt about the prospect of Cilan staying or leaving after BW, that's pretty 50/50 to me. Though Connoisseurs existing in XY already helps boost that return credibility a lot. So I'd be happy to see him in XY again. But it's not the end of the world if he doesn't show up, either. It just helps that I can easily picture some entertaining situations with him and the XY group, too. But again, Mamoru Miyano. I wanna say if he got on board for a piece of shit series like Sailor Moon Crystal (even though that's not a long-term project by any means) that he shouldn't have a problem cameo'ing in XY for a few episodes. Guess it just depends on what his rates are nowadays. :p He's a hot commodity in the anime market. I'm surprised he's yet to get roped into One Piece thus far.

Ahhh, that brings me back to a couple of years ago when we had speculation threads regarding the likelihood of Iris and/or Cilan lasting past Best Wishes. I distinctly remember at least a couple of times that I said that while Cilan as a character had 50/50 odds of lasting past BW because of the role he served, the real deciding factor of Cilan's fate was Mamoru Miyano. XD On that seiyuu's whim, Cilan could literally stay forever or disappear and never be heard from again. IF ONLY WE KNEW MIYANO'S TRUE AGENDA... (sure the same can be said for all characters but not everyone is voiced by Mamoru Motherfucking Miyano)

but lol yes, IF they were to bring Cilan back, no way would they keep him on as long as they had Dawn in Best Wishes for monetary reasons alone. Which is probably for the best anyway. That was what, 8 episodes? And the cameo felt like an afterthought in most of them. 4 - 5 episodes feel like a more reasonable cameo length, but IF Cilan was brought back I wouldn't be surprised if his cameo was even shorter. :p

Since they did recently establish that Connoisseurs are a thing in Kalos, though, that alone leaves a good window for Cilan to sweep in for a visit. He was only going to Hoenn for a fishing thing anyway; surely a man with a ridiculous number of hobbies wouldn't be stuck there for too long. Kalos by nature gives a lot of opportunities for Cilan to make use of his skills, and really, I think Serena in particular could benefit greatly from his services. I would honestly hope that Cilan's either achieved his S-Rank upon his arrival to Kalos or before he leaves (maybe helping Serena could lead him to that?). Wishful thinking, but since he is one of the older main characters and already went through his main tenure in the series, it'd be nice to give Cilan some completion/closure for his goal. That way I'll feel better for his bros still stuck at the Striaton Gym and their gimmick can become complete again. :p

Plus, I like what I see in my head when I imagine Cilan interacting with the XY group. His chemistry with Ash was literally the only element I liked at all in the BW trio, Serena I already spoke for, Clemont's good for bonding over ~SCIENCE!~ (and give poor Clemont a break in cooking duty), and I can only imagine Bonnie would find him a lot of fun. Hell, I kinda wanna see Bonnie meet Cilan, then just give her bro a look while saying things along the lines of "Big brother, why can't you be more like THIS? If you were as cool and capable as this guy, I wouldn't HAVE to try to find a girl to take care of you!"

(I'm just totally gonna judge a lot of shit from now on based on how sick of a burn Bonnie can lay on Clemont, I've decided on this >:3)

But, just as I felt about the prospect of Cilan staying or leaving after BW, that's pretty 50/50 to me. Though Connoisseurs existing in XY already helps boost that return credibility a lot. So I'd be happy to see him in XY again. But it's not the end of the world if he doesn't show up, either. It just helps that I can easily picture some entertaining situations with him and the XY group, too. But again, Mamoru Miyano. I wanna say if he got on board for a piece of shit series like Sailor Moon Crystal (even though that's not a long-term project by any means) that he shouldn't have a problem cameo'ing in XY for a few episodes. Guess it just depends on what his rates are nowadays. :p He's a hot commodity in the anime market. I'm surprised he's yet to get roped into One Piece thus far.

I always want to answer you and tell you that I agree with in everything about cilan and Iris
to me, I want Cilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
He is very funny person and I am agree with you with you said about evaluting serena, being friend with clemont and what you said about bonnie
I hope you accept my respect to you
I have feeling that a canassours and cannasous have an ability called talking all the time and I also see they always give a right informations about something happen
Oh God, please NO! he's annoying af, Cilan and Iris please stay away from XY.

I want Iris stay away from all seasons not justin xy
cilan in the other hand, I love his personality and i like him - I will be happy if he back and they make a boy who back this time like when Brock back to ash time in diamond pearl and in Advance generation
he is so funny and entertaing and likeable to me
I have feeling that a canassours and cannasous have an ability called talking all the time and I also see they always give a right informations about something happen

Last edited:
Not in a permanent position no. One-off episode returns? Sure.

I'd rather much characters don't return for good because then they'll eventually become old and stale. Much better to remember them in their prime.

I actually do want Cilan to come back even if it is for 1-2 episodes. Cilan might not be developed, but I think the reappearance can help. From what I know in BW is that Cilan is a skilled Sommelier, so he might come to Kalos to judge a TriPokalon, or trying to help an important figure (like an Elite Four member) with helping a younger Trainer with Pokemon compatibility.

Or maybe he wants to catch a rare Pokemon from the Kalos region because he can feel the compatibility between him and that pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom