• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?

Re: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-sho

On the somehow off-chance they allowed multiplayer features via wireless, I would insta-buy. I'd still get them even if they didn't, especially Generation 3, but it'd be great to have a slightly-updated Virtual Console release to keep one of Pokemon's core concepts.

Re: Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-sho

3DS eshop? Why not. iOS? LOLNO!

So why were they still saying no at the recent Q&A?

Hello everyone,
The Pokemon Generation 1, 2, and 3 games should have a release on iOS devices as an app or the Nintendo 3DS E-shop. I have my hopes up that someday Gamefreak and the Pokemon Company would take putting old games onto the app store or Nintendo 3DS E-shop into consideration. There are three major reasons why I would love to see this happen:

1) A huge problem with videogames today is the issue of preservation; unlike books which can be read for thousands of years, video games are stuck to their original platform to deliver the medium. If one wants to experience the old pokemon games there is no other way to play them other than on older Gameboy systems , Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Box (Gamecube), etc., as well as have a working pokemon cartridge. The internal batteries on these cartridges die out so less and less available copies of these older pokemon games exist each year, so many are forced to play these games on emulators since they have no other choice. The Pokemon company still claims that this is illegal, but many fans do it anyways because they do not have a reasonable way to play older games on new platforms.

2) It would make Pokemon A LOT of money!! Like everyone here, I want Pokemon to succeed as much as possible; they have brought about great games that many people enjoy today and I want the company to succeed well into the future. And People WILL buy old pokemon games on the app store or even the Nintendo 3DS E-shop. The older pokemon games alone would sell millions on these newer platforms, many fans would buy it!! And let's face it, currently the old generation games are currently making neither Gamefreak nor Nintendo any money. These older games can be bought at garage sales, Gamestop, ebay, or other retro-game stores, but neither Gamefreak nor Nintendo will see a cent of that money! So why not make money off of games that are currently making none?

3) The technology has already been proven possible. Both jail-broken iOS platforms and android platforms have a variety of emulators that allows one to play Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games. So I am sure an official app would not be that hard to make. If the Pokemon company released an official quality titles for new platforms they would also give us fans a reason to buy the games in a legal and convenient way.

Overall, I would love to see Pokemon take the steps to bring the franchise anywhere where more people can appreciate the growing franchise that all of us fans love so much, especially to a place where old pokemon games can be played on modern medium and purchased legally. An even better option would be to have it on the Nintendo 3DS E-shop. So hopefully someday, even a population out there that does not own a dedicated gaming device might be able to play and appreciate pokemon the same way we have for over 15 years.

So what are all your thoughts concerning this? Should Generation 1, 2, and 3 games be released for iOS devices or Nintendo E-shop?

You're either TheJWittz from YouTube or you saw his video about the Pokedex For iOS app, because he said all of this word for word. Either way, I agree 100%. Big time.

Releasing some of the old Pokemon games on the EShop.

Do you guys think it would be possible for Nintendo to release the older Pokemon games on the Shop? (Gen I, II, and maybe III)
Maybe all of them could be around 25 dollars each. Including Pokemon Green with it too.

Re: Releasing some of the old Pokemon games on the EShop.

Until recently, I was saying no because trading between copies would've been impossible, but now we have a solution for that in the form of Pokemon Bank. So if they could make them compatible with Bank, then it's possible.

Do you guys think it would be possible for Nintendo to release the older Pokemon games on the Shop? (Gen I, II, and maybe III)
Maybe all of them could be around 25 dollars each. Including Pokemon Green with it too.

$25 is much too expensive for a past gen game, I'm thinking the old ones could probably be sold for $5, and maybe the 3rd gen games could be sold for about $10.

I also agree that an international Green version would be pretty neat.

Re: Releasing some of the old Pokemon games on the EShop.

Release them on WII Us one, because fullscreen.

Nintendo releasing games on IOS. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I do really want to see FireRed and LeafGreen get the 3D classics treatment with trading, battling, and Pokemon Bank support included. FireRed and LeafGreen already have the local wireless communication system set up. Ideally it could have Generation 4-6 pokemon transferred from Pokemon Bank as well, but I wouldn't count on that.

Nintendo just isn't going to release anything on iOS or any other non-platform, period.

Anyone who really wants to play these games, they're easy enough to track down. Gen II has that internal battery problem but it is something that can be fixed or you can just play Crystal instead. Gen I was re-made in Gen 3 and Gen II re-made in Gen 4. I have Gameboy fat games that still work just fine and vintage game stores, even if you don't have one in your area, have online presence as well.

As to if they should be released on the E-shop, maybe? I sold my 3DS original before giving it Ambassador status, but from what I hear, some of the GBA games don't look great based on the emulator or whatever they used for it. But just slapping the GBA era games, or GB games, means there won't be connectivity with the current games and it may be difficult or impossible to do any type of trading or battling with them.

If these gens are re-visited (which, besides Gen 3, I hope they aren't), they'll be in the form of new games and not just slapping it up on the E-shop.

Anyone who really wants the nostalgia trip can easily track down the original games, but I personally have no desire to. I tried playing Yellow a few years back just because I missed out on it with the initial release. But with no Running Shoes and no Bike until halfway through the game, I just couldn't stand how slow the game was.

I just think Pokemon doesn't work as a stand alone release for a nostalgia blast. You can slap Super Mario or Donkey Kong on the E-shop because those are stand alone games and most people aren't doing the multi-player with them anyway. But Pokemon is a game that encourages and incentivizes battling and trading, and having that be limited with a GBA E-shop release will make it a very odd game without connectivity with the current games.

Old Pokémon games for the Nintendo eShop

I think it would be better and more realistic if the Pokémon games from previous Generations would be on the eShop and not on iOS since Nintendo puts Pokémon video games on their consoles and I don't think they would make those games for the iPhone, or any type of smartphone or tablet.

Neither. The idea of remakes break re-releases. Why sell something for $10-$15 when you can remake it using assets and sell it for $40. The remakes are generally very easy to make which is why they were able to get HGSS out so soon after Platinum because believe it or not, Gamefreak is still a relatively small studio only employing about 500 people despite having 2 separate teams.

Only e-shop for the people who like digital. Never ios

I do believe that they should. This is also a great way for Nintendo to make some profit. There was a time when a phoney Yellow version reached the top paid section of the app store because the app promised the game. This only shows that there is a demand for Pokemon Games in iOS. For the linking function, they can use bluetooth to imitate as what a link cable would've done. They should make a Gameboy Advance Emulator available for free then sell the games as an in-app purchase. This has already been proven possible with GBA emulators for iOS. And why keep it in iOS, bring it to all mobile devices.

I do believe that they should. This is also a great way for Nintendo to make some profit.

Technically all money made off of Pokemon goes to Gamefreak. Nintendo only gets royalties from Pokemon. For Pokemon to make it to IOS or the eShop its up to Gamefreak.

I can't really see them releasing games that are totally incompatible with current gens and that would be completely useless in multiplayer. The appeal of the first generation was to trade/battle with friends through the link cable and through the Stadium series. Chances are much higher that they'll somehow make Fire Red and Leaf Green compatible with PokeBank since it's technically compatible with current gens.

Gen 1, I don't see why not.

For all the other ones, though, there'd definitely be issues with in-game time. Also, save states would completely screw up the clocks, if they could get them to work in the first place.

I would support the E-shop, but not mobile selling. Pokémon just doesn't seem fitting on a mobile phone. On the other hand, if they released them for E-shop, they'd have my money immediately.
One of my dislikes towards mobile gaming are the crummy controls. They're difficult to use, and my thumbs feel cramped whenever I mobile game with an emulator. Feeling a D-pad under my finger is way better than just feeling a smooth screen, which kinda throws me off when trying to look in one spot. Call me way to traditional, but I've always liked feeling a D-pad under my thumb.

I think it would be awesome if they put them on 3DS eShop. I don't have a 3DS yet, but would certainly take advantage of it if I did.

For smartphones and other devices I don't really see happening.
For the eShop, definitely. I would have money ready for their releases.

Oh man yes, I would love to see the other gen games on the eShop! What a great way to relive childhood, huh? I think they'd need to be relatively cheap, somewhere around £5. I can't really see anyone spending more than a tenner on some of these older games. They have the old Super Mario Bros for around that price, so it should be around the same value.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom