• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Grass Types Get Earthquake/Earth Power?

Should Grass Types Get Earthquake/Earth Power

• Yes

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hm...it would certainly benefit the Grass-types a lot to have a Ground attack, because some of their enemy types hate being hit by it, mainly Fire, Poison and Steel. The ability to make Heatran wary is valuable, as with most other Fire-types. Besides, most Grass-types don't have much in the way offensively, so this would aid a lot of them a ton. I would love for most Grass-types to learn a powerful Ground-type attack to keep certain of their nemeses at bay. Lilligant, for example, would love Earth Power to benefit her Quiver Dance set, and maybe Simisage would appreciate the ability to hit with a Ground attack, because Focus Blast is definitely not a reliable attack.

If you ask me, I would say that the offensive Grass-types should be the ones with the move. For example, Simisage is more of an offensive Grass-type, but it will have trouble with Poison-types and some Fire-types, so giving it a Ground attack would aid its offensive capabilities. Earth Power would be nice, because it can learn Nasty Plot to complement it. Some others offensive Grass-types like Exeggutor, Cacturne, Lilligant, Serperior, Carnivine and Victreebel would be great candidates for Earth Power. It's great that Ludicolo, Sawsbuck and Shiftry have this option (Nature Power turns to Earthquake), which makes Fire-types not the best answer to them. I also have to complement someone who decided it was a good idea to give Sunflora Earth Power, because despite not helping it much, it helps it in a way. Defensive Grass-types would not likely need this move, so some that are supposed to be dedicated annoyers or supporters (like Amoonguss and Whimsicott) would not need Earthquake or Earth Power to become annoying.

I thought it would be fun if Ferrothorn learnt Earthquake, because it would make the Choice Band set a force to be reckoned with, especially to those who are super-weak to Ground, namely Magnezone and Heatran (Ferrothorn's primary counters).

Basically, my point is, some more offensive Grass-types should get this move. However, I do agree with @CommanderClowncrete that the absolute way to make Grass-types better is the type chart (for example, make them at most take neutral damage from Ice).

Thanks for reading.

Maybe not Earth Power, but I definitely think many of them should get Earthquake. I mean, they are plant-based creatures, and they sprout from the ground - they're supposed to have some sort of power from the ground, and it wouldn't be surprising if they can control it, even.

I think they should have a ground type move of some sort to help them. Id say a lot of them could get Earth Power maybe a few could have Earthquake, I cant see all of them having Earthquake though( wouldnt make much sense to see say a Cherrim causing an Earthquake).

Water types get Ice Beam. Fire types get Solarbeam. Yes, grass types should get these moves.

Also, @Ghetsis-Dennis Tropius, Cradily and Abamasnow all three also get Earthquake, whereas Cradily, Torterra and Shaymin learn Earth Power as well.

Earth Power is definitely a good idea for grass types. Earthquake may be good for some grass types, but like most people have said, it doesn't work out as well as Earth Power.

Earthquake seems too put of place. Earth Power could be fitting, and it would help solve the problem of most Grass-types having horrible movepools.

I think Grass-types should get Earthquake or Earth Power if it fits them thematically. Just like I think any type Pokemon should get Earthquake or Earth Power if it fits them thematically.

Wut Sunflora already gets Earth Power? I did not know that... *checks* Had it since last gen -_- Wow, I completely ignored it lol

Anyways, this topic is a no brainer, of coarse Grass types should get some kind of good coverage. Preferably for special attackers like Serperior and Liligant, Earth Power would be a godsend.

Dunno who EQ would really benifit aside from Ferrothorn, so I prefer Earth Power overall.

Serperior should definitly get Earth-Power... he could use it along with Contrary LS... He really has no use for for EQ unless he get's Super-Power or something because he would probibly use Special moves instead

Serperior should definitly get Earth-Power... he could use it along with Contrary LS... He really has no use for for EQ unless he get's Super-Power or something because he would probibly use Special moves instead

Well EQ seems like a good alternative for a non-Contrary Serperior because of its large size and its access to Sword Dance and Coil.

Well EQ seems like a good alternative for a non-Contrary Serperior because of its large size and its access to Sword Dance and Coil.

But I doubt you'll ever see a Non Contrary Serperior though... unless he get's some good moves to takre advantage of his bulk and speed. But yeah EP would be more useful towards him beause he would be abusing LS most of the time

Earth Power in general should be more widespread. It's like, the only special Ground-type move ( other than stuff like Mud Shot). Plus it fits since Grass types are connected to the Earth and stuff.

But I agree Earthquake would be weird. I don't think stuff like Jumpluff or Bellossom could cause an earthquake.

Why not?

Though going in line with that, Landlorus, as the fertility Pokemon, should learn more grass moves like Wood Hammer. Heck, I'd go with a special event Land Lorus with Frenzy Plant given its depiction in having roots and vines grow out of the ground (and its in-game description being described as hitting the opponent with a tree). I don't see all ground types like this, since some of them simply represent Pokemon who live undeground rather than an earth spirit.

Of course, I don't see why people prefer Earth Power over Earthquake. If anything, Earthquake should be more accessible to grass types since their roots should break the ground apart, whereas Earth power seems more like a move an earth spirit should have. Anything that can use something like Leech seed, given how fast the seed sprouts, could probably manage breaking the earth apart that way.

Honestly, the depiction of Earth power itself makes it seem like it should be more aligned with fire types (given the volcanic energy trapped beneath the earth's surface), and is certainly what may have been in Game Freak's minds given Heatran and Magcargo's (both volcanic Pokemon) innate ability to use it

Why not?

Though going in line with that, Landlorus, as the fertility Pokemon, should learn more grass moves like Wood Hammer. Heck, I'd go with a special event Land Lorus with Frenzy Plant given its depiction in having roots and vines grow out of the ground (and its in-game description being described as hitting the opponent with a tree). I don't see all ground types like this, since some of them simply represent Pokemon who live undeground rather than an earth spirit.

Of course, I don't see why people prefer Earth Power over Earthquake. If anything, Earthquake should be more accessible to grass types since their roots should break the ground apart, whereas Earth power seems more like a move an earth spirit should have. Anything that can use something like Leech seed, given how fast the seed sprouts, could probably manage breaking the earth apart that way.

Honestly, the depiction of Earth power itself makes it seem like it should be more aligned with fire types (given the volcanic energy trapped beneath the earth's surface), and is certainly what may have been in Game Freak's minds given Heatran and Magcargo's (both volcanic Pokemon) innate ability to use it

Well, maybe not Frenzy Plant, since that seems to be a Starter only signature move, but certainly a strong Grass move like Leaf Storm or something.

Sunflora can learn Earth Power, which makes as much sense as anything else. Also, refer to my previous post about Dragon type moves having a Fire association in their depictions as late as the third Generation, yet not being given to Fire types not named Charizard.

I think the reason Earth Power makes more sense than EQ is because most Grass types don't seem to have the physical strength to cause Earthquakes. Do Vileplume, Jumpluff and Bellossom look like the type of Pokemon able to create earthquakes? They don't even have any roots. Earth Power is more magical than physical (hence the use of Sp. Atk stat) which means a Pokemon's physical muscles is of no consequence when using it.

Well, maybe not Frenzy Plant, since that seems to be a Starter only signature move, but certainly a strong Grass move like Leaf Storm or something.

That's why I said a special event. Events have never had a problem giving other Pokemon signature moves.

Sunflora can learn Earth Power, which makes as much sense as anything else.
And yet many more grass Pokemon learn Earthquake than Earth power. I honestly wouldn't look too much into move tutor moves either given that its not naturally learned in any other games, and move tutor moves honestly looks more like Game Freak saying "I wonder what it would be like if we gave these Pokemon these moves?" judging by the amount of Pokemon that learn Outrage and Heat Wave simply because they can blow wind.

Also, refer to my previous post about Dragon type moves having a Fire association in their depictions as late as the third Generation, yet not being given to Fire types not named Charizard.

I think the reason Earth Power makes more sense than EQ is because most Grass types don't seem to have the physical strength to cause Earthquakes. Do Vileplume, Jumpluff and Bellossom look like the type of Pokemon able to create earthquakes? They don't even have any roots. Earth Power is more magical than physical (hence the use of Sp. Atk stat) which means a Pokemon's physical muscles is of no consequence when using it.

Your point was basically "despite looking like fire, fire Pokémon don't get dragon moves" so I don't see how the inverse is true, that because a move looks like fire, that a grass type should get it >_>

Grass type Pokemon have shown the ability to make plants grow, they can easily cause a fissure by making local plants break the ground apart. Similarly, just because some grass Pokemon don't seem to have the means to split the earth, it doesn't mean others don't. Similarly, the notion that grass type Pokemon should have increased access to Earthquake doesn't mean that all grass types would get access. I honestly don't know why people resort to such black and white reasoning. Any supernatural abilities they have involve plant growth, which can be used to split the earth. It doesn't make sense they'd draw from the volcanic energy in the earth. The only reason Sunflora may be able to is because its a sun flower.

Furthermore, the inability for normal fire Pokemon to use dragon moves is presumably that the fire they use has a completely different property rather than being simple fire. Similarly, the energy exuded through Earth Power is fundamentally different than that used by grass type Pokemon (so really, being magical should work against them if its not the same type), whereas Earthquake can be achieved simply by breaking the earth.

Last edited:
Most Grass types should get Earth Power (thus allowing them to fight Fire-types just like Water-types can use Ice Beam against grass types), but only a few should get Earthquake. Generation V really helped Bug-types (just think of Volcarona), but there are still many types which need balancing, and Grass is the most obvious of these.

Most Grass types should get Earth Power (thus allowing them to fight Fire-types just like Water-types can use Ice Beam against grass types), but only a few should get Earthquake. Generation V really helped Bug-types (just think of Volcarona), but there are still many types which need balancing, and Grass is the most obvious of these.

It could be argued Poison needs balancing more than Grass does.

It could be argued Poison needs balancing more than Grass does.

And Ice too, but Grass seems to be more important due to its association as part of the three main elemental types.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom