• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should I compress my (C:) Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazaking

Former Staff Artist
Reaction score
Ok, I wanted to lower the amount of space being taken up, so I was thinking of compressing the data in my (C:) drive. You know, the one that holds all the program files and stuff.

So, is it a good idea? Or will it have any negative side effects?

Well there are a few files that you should not compress like the bootmgr. If they are compressed, the computer won't start. I had this problem a few times, but I have compressed my C drive and as long as you don't compress any boot files or any that ask for permission to compress, it should be ok. Once you start, don't stop the compression for any reason, it can mess up your computer like it not starting like I said above.

Also to free space:

remove any unnecessary files with disk cleanup after compress. This could remove files like "compress old files" or temporary internet files and maybe go to uninstall any programs you no longer use or any files in your documents folder you don't want and empty recycle bin. After doing all that, defrag your disk.

Last edited:
Go ahead, but your computer will be slower. Additionally, create a bootdisk (floppy for default, or a Linux recovery CD) so you can run commands to fix your PC.

Why? Because if you reinstall Windows (if you have anything below Vista), you get a NT Loader error.

I would suggest backing up your data and re-installing Windows every so often. I think that's what Leo Laporte recommends. To make Windows Update go easier (depending on what XP CD you have, it might not even have SP1), you can slipstream SP1-3 on to a new CD so when it re-installs, you have SP1, SP2 and SP3 already installed.

Yes, I tried it, but it is most effective if you right click C and click compress this drive to save space. It is also effective in notebooks with tiny HDDs.

Yes, I tried it, but it is most effective if you right click C and click compress this drive to save space. It is also effective in notebooks with tiny HDDs.

Thats what I mean. Or do you all think I mean putting them in ZIPs or something?

Thats what I mean. Or do you all think I mean putting them in ZIPs or something?

There are many ways to do it, actually. I can do it from a floppy, from Linux, from a CD, from a command line, etc.

Keep in mind that compressing a drive makes accessing files a slower process. It's best to only compress the files you aren't using on a regular basis (which, as someone mentioned, is an option you get while doing Disk Cleanup, which is your BEST option when it comes to freeing up space. Aside from, ya know, deleting things. Or storing them on a flash drive, in the cloud, or an external hard drive).

Be very careful as some have suggested when using compress. I compressed an HP Mini and the bootmgr got compressed - ruining things. It won't boot and I know of no command line fixes.

As the unit does not have a CD, I had to create an "Ultimate boot CD" - really a USB. (Google that) then boot into that gui interface. Once I did that I could access the HP Mini C: drive, go to properties and check uncompress. Make sure you stop the compress - that will still be going on - from the first round.

Best wishes.
Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom