• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Jessie,James and Meowth be taking out of the Anime?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
This thread is for people who think Jessie,James,and Meowth should be taking off the anime.My opinion they should be takin off and replace with new Team Rocket Members like the admins who run Team Rocket in Gen
2. Now whats your opinion should Jessie,James,and Meowth be takin off or should be in the Pokemon Anime.

Nope. Not happening. If they were going to do that, they would have long ago.

Hell, they TRIED with Operation Tempest only to bring them back not long after.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I will say is Hell No because in My Own Opinion this is why the show is still on because of them and I am glad they Became Comedian's again because they were just perfect.

I don't know, if Best Wishes did something right it was to show us their presence in every episode isn't really necessary for the anime to work.
And I will be sincere, I started getting annoyed by their obligatory appearences every episode because it gave a feeling of repetitiveness for me. Their constant appearences and the ridiculous amount of filler were the factors that made me drop the anime for a long time after Johto. They were bringing nothing new and everyone knew they were not a threat, they merely stood in the way both physically and metaphorically, so they were basically a padding device.
I cannot judge their performance in AG or DP because I didn't watch 99% of them. I heard Jessie started taking contests and working as some kind of disguised rival here, so maybe they gave something useful for at least one of them to do once in a while. I will give it the benefit of doubt.
When contests were dropped from the games they decided to give them a more serious tone. I initially loved it because everything I didn't like about them was gone, they were finallu bringing challenge to the table and stopped making unnecessary appearences. It came with the drawback of reducing their personalities to near drone-levels of depth, but I was so annoyed at their previous characterization I initially didn't even care. When I haerd they changed it and were making less filler I came back without thinking twice. But then the earthquake came and as a result the promised two-parter was gone forever, I don't blame them for that decision, it was tragic after all and the backlash from the big battle would just leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth if it aired. They would retcon it and make Team Plasma debut properly in a later episode, or so I thought.
They waited for a sequel and until after the league to make them appear. The result? They started using the new serious Team Rocket as a replacement for the Plasma plotline for the entirety of the season, that seriously weakened the adaptation because the story wasn't supposed to be about TR and Black and White is probably the best story-driven plot in the main games. I was annoyed at them again, but even more with the writers. When Plasma finally debuted they were just generic bad guys with a rushed storyline, the characters from the games lost what made them so strong in first place.
If Team Rocket is going to stay I just ask for two things. First, you don't need to make them hyper-competent, but don't make them an excuse of trainers either because it stops being funny after some months (give them a plan and a battle before blasting them off). And two, don't make them appear in every bloody episode because it makes the anime feel repetitive, especially when something bigger and more interesting than them is happening. If they can't do that, then I hope the writers give they a one-way out blast off from the anime.

I don't think that they should be replaced, especially when most of the Team Rocket admins from the second generation, including those from the remakes, were pretty lackluster villains. Besides that, they can be entertaining characters and it would be kind of sad to lose their comedy completely, especially when it felt like that when they were boring throughout BW. I wouldn't mind if they continued to not be in every single episode, but as long as they're more like their comical selves, I'd be happy with them sticking around.

If they don't become comic relief again, no. I miss Sinnoh JJM. They were funny. New ones are ZzZZzzzzzZZZZ

As long as Satoshi is in the anime, Team Rocket will be in the anime. And considering the chances of him leaving are in the realm of hell freezing over I think TR are here to say. Sure, I don't expect them to be an omnipresent force in the anime like they were pre-BW, but they're so iconic in the series that there's no way they'd be abandoned just because some fans are jaded with how BW has worked for them. Their "grand departure" in Season 2 that lasted for only 12 episodes should be indication enough that they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Sure, it'd be cool if Team Rocket as an entire organization had more of a role as opposed to just the the TRio, but I can't see any major changes to that in the foreseeable future. Perhaps in XY they will have a stronger role, coming into conflict with the villainous team like they were planned to in BW.

I maybe would have said yes during DP. I was tired of their gimmick, however the way BW butchered their characters, it made me realise how fun and likable they were originally. Now it looks like they are back to their old selves, i'm glad to have them around again. I do hope that they don't dominate the anime. I never liked the idea of TR being anything other than a bit of comic relief, that's why I didn't really take to Jessie entering contests. I don't want to see a lot of them because they are annoying in big doses. I hope the anime continues to have entire episodes that don't include them. That was one of the good things about BW.

tumblr_m9h5fvFZLV1qe0pab.gif

They've used Ash, Jessie, James, and Meowth for a long time now, and there gags are really starting to get old.

I think it's about time they revive the anime, by creating a new protagonist and antagonists. I understand it's a good formula, but it's about ten years old, and they need to shake things up a little bit.

It wouldn't be the same show without Ash, Jessie, James or Meowth.

They just need to make Ash Sinnoh smart and have Jessie/James/Meowth take breaks and not be used as a quick plot device.

An idea I did have is if we assume X and Y have one team that's trying to control Xerneas in X and Yveltal in Y, how about Team XY try to capture Xerneas while Team Rocket try to catch Yveltal, then have an XY vs Rocket showdown at the end. If they do something like DPPt where the two legendaries are related to the third, the conflict could be based around that.

Of course, TR would have to be competent and also funny. Incompetent and funny like pre-BW wouldn't allow them to achieve their goal, competent and boring would mean watching them achieve their goal wouldn't be any fun like with BW.

My plan for TR:

1. Give them the black uniforms again (seriously, if anything they should have kept them until Operation Tempest was over so that it was actually something SPECIAL when they switched back for Episode N)

2. Have them serve as "miniboss" like characters. Basically treat them like how they treated the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series. Joker wasn't in anywhere near every episode, but when he did show it it was a cool treat.

No! Pokemon wouldn't be the same without them! Do I think they should be in ever episode? No. The writers have proven that they could make great episodes without them popping up out of nowhere and trying to capture Pikachu or whatever. But they shouldn't be written off completely.

I hate to bring up this idea again, but does anyone think that maybe in future episodes that Team Rocket is in... should Kojiro, Musashi and Nyaasu take a tiny break? Maybe did like they have done in AG and bring in backup agents like Kosaburo and Yamato? I really liked that idea!

Also I want to say that I have grown to like their jet-packs and black outfits. And look, before anyone brings this up, I know they were devoted in OS, however there is a difference between OS and BW1 TR and it's that BW1 TR were more robotic than OS. OS had many funny moments to them. BW1, it's hard to even root for these guys because they are so generic. And they they added more generic villains. Seger-Hakase, I really liked him. He wasn't generic at all! Flint and Matori were very boring and added nothing. Flint added to the metonite plot a little but that was it.

But this is all my opinion.

No, because it would annoy me if we only got focus on Satoshi.

Besides, Rocket-Dan seem to be quite in-character lately. That reminded me I didn't wanted didn't want to have the most unique characters on that show taken out.

No, because it would annoy me if we only got focus on Satoshi.

Besides, Rocket-Dan seem to be quite in-character lately. That reminded me I didn't wanted didn't want to have the most unique characters on that show taken out.
We have to remember that this isn't the Satoshi show. So I agree!

Yes they should, they've worn out their welcome, and it's obvious they have no idea what to do with them, same goes for Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom