• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Jessie,James and Meowth be taking out of the Anime?

I don't know, I liked the Rocket trio when they were funny. I wish that Pikachu could zap them more often so they could be funnier, but it seems that the Rocket trio is probably going to get another promotion at least, since they've done well above average for their boss.

They are just fine the way they are now.Team Rocket has the Power to stay on for a while longer.

If Team Rocket goes, then Ash should also. I'm more sick of Ash now than them, honestly. Ash's character is so lame and worn out to me. They should consider bringing in someone else who can freshen up the anime, instead of just tweaking Ash's skills to fit the story. It's weird to see Ash so good and developed at the end of a region, just for him to suck in the beginning of the next one. It's a tired format and I'd gladly welcome an overhaul to the show. At the same time, though, it's now hard to imagine the show without Ash or TR in it. They've been in it for this long that it might be hard for some to accept the change.

Basically, I don't think TR will leave if Ash isn't leaving. Should they leave? Also, no. I think they're funny (when they aren't being their boring BW selves, yawn), and provide a level of entertainment that the show would lack if they weren't there. The writers have tried the boring and robotic personalities already, and it's clear that it wasn't working since they're back to how they were before all of this. I'm glad.

Unfortunately, I say, take them out. Really, it's been 16 years now of their same old BS antics. Yeah, I do really love these three characters, but there's a process called "milking" that is dangerous for any character. Sometimes it takes greater love to separate yourself from something you love in order for the greater good. I'd rather seem Team Rocket leave with a shred of dignity than see them milked on and used by the writers. As for Ash, I'm less sick of him actually, but...still, I think his day has been done, too.

Yes, I'll miss James/Kojiro and his hilarious antics. Yes, I'll miss Meowth and his goofiness. I'll even miss Jessie, because underneath that crap, she's a kind trainer and person. And easily the more competent part of Team Rocket, too. But it's better they leave before they are milked to the point of no return, IMO.

I think they would only go if they got rid of Ash Ketchum.
After all, they would just follow Ash back to Pallet Town to try and still
his Pikachu.

Sure why not? Just because they go doesn't mean Ash should. In fact there can be other villain replacements for them if the writers were to be creative enough. Plus I'm tired of TR getting sticking noses in other villain plots all the time only to screw them up. I want to see real threats like in the game not fails all the time.

Sure why not? Just because they go doesn't mean Ash should. In fact there can be other villain replacements for them if the writers were to be creative enough. Plus I'm tired of TR getting sticking noses in other villain plots all the time only to screw them up. I want to see real threats like in the game not fails all the time.

It's amazing: Team Rocket were once my favorite characters on the show. Now, I'm just sad they're still on the show...even more than Ash. They should've had their story end way back when.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like them, but it's just depressing they are still on the show for me. The writers don't know how to handle them anymore. :/

There is a point when characters become so much integrated within show structure that taking them out would be considered as devoid anime from its staples, icons which made it imo. After 15+ years, well Team Rocket became timeless achieving same status like Ash did and by this point i feel they earned their place in pokemon to stay until very end.

I have many fond memories of TR trio and i liked their antics and humor they brought truly enriching this show not wanting to see them go . Jessie, James and Meowth know how to fulfill each other nicely bouncing of well and it was fun for me to see Jessie dominant personality and fierce temper getting into play being boss of group. James insecurity and submissive attitude not being able to stand up for himself gave unique spin to character and was nice contrast to Jessie attitude while Meowth with his conniving, sometimes contemplative persona trying to impress Giovanni completed chemistry between Rocket trio giving it extra flavor and identity.

Along with each passing generation bringing something new and different for them. Whether its AG and DP enjoying when Jessie started entering contests fitting her vain persona showing to grow as person over time. As evidenced by becoming much more focused on hard work, instead of cheating in Sinnoh.
Or BW which portrayed them in kinda unique light becoming much more competent and successful in their missions. Although unbalanced characterization was grating for me, which thankfully is getting fixed.

I don't know to me after so much time it would be useless to get rid of them when there have been invested so much into their characterization, but history as well.
Since out of all companions arguably they have most detailed and explored background and i appreciated being given more insight into their past and what shaped them in characters they became over the years. Whether its about James crazy family, older pokemon like Carnivine or his hobbies and how far his passion for them such as collecting bottle caps goes in past. Jessie sad past trying out different professions failing at them losing mother at very young age, along with having bad luck with boys in her love life with bad experiences within society and self searching trying to find where she belongs having her end in TR organization.

They are giving some sort of identity to this show and taking them out would imo ruin pokemon image not being anymore attractive without those three goofy lovable "fools" which bring extra conflict and suspension in episodes being main antagonists to main hero(Ash) and in a way scouts for Giovanni by bringing new info about regions they go through.

Sure it may feel like they are been dragged out, but that's not flaw within characters but more writers inability to write for them in more consistent, meaningful and exciting manner to prevent them from feeling "stale" to audience.
Even so for every problem there exist solution and instead of replacing them which wouldn't change anything,i would be more in favor of breathing new life into their roles taking them forward either as part of Rocket organization or by shifting focus on their own desires and dreams and what they truly want to have from life. Something which has prerequisites to happen thanks to rich backstory and build up bond.
Instead of wasting everything writers did with them and potential to be done more continuing to entertain us by ship mailing them in doom land joining crew of long forgotten, abandoned characters.

Same applies to Ash, as much as he can go on nerves sometime to me i still got entertained by his naive, innocent personality and big passion he holds for pokemon and battling having potential to do much better than what is happening now.

So with all said and done im of opinion how both him and Team Rocket should be kept until last season and big finale giving recognizability to this show and some sort of personal touch which wouldn't be worth it to lose risking drop of popularity just because of being bored (which can happen with any new ones taking their place too).

Especially when this can be easily fixed with new twists and better writing making people appreciate them again.

Especially when this can be easily fixed with new twists and better writing making people appreciate them again.

I don't think the writers are smart enough to do such a thing. When had they been able to write such twists? Operation Tempest? Bringing Giovanni in person was all they did and recycle the Kami Trio, make them go berserk for an episode, and have Meloetta sing for conclusion. It wasn't anything fresh or new.

As for my opinion, they're getting stale. Taking them out completely and focusing on the villains of the upcoming series would do better to the story plot in its entirety.

I don't think the writers are smart enough to do such a thing. When had they been able to write such twists? Operation Tempest? Bringing Giovanni in person was all they did and recycle the Kami Trio, make them go berserk for an episode, and have Meloetta sing for conclusion. It wasn't anything fresh or new.

As for my opinion, they're getting stale. Taking them out completely and focusing on the villains of the upcoming series would do better to the story plot in its entirety.

Personally i did found interesting initially when TR became more prominent members of Giovanni organization in Unova being handed over missions of high importance actually succeeding for once. Although while looking promising, execution wasn't made in most conceivable and well planned manner.

Even so i don't really think changing TR with new set of villains would had change anything in grand scheme of things since they would be still written by same writers with mistakes they are doing with current ones only conveying to next set of characters.
And they can't really improve and write in more engaging manner until they first rectify mistakes they are doing with current characters using history and things they did in past as template through which they can see where things went wrong and how to avoid same scenery from happening in future.

Since their laziness will just continue on screwing things up with new incomers due to not being forced to innovate and try harder until they clean up current mess. At least that's the way i see it.

Looking back and initial ideas they had about TR in this saga served as proof to me how TR has potential to be done more with their characters, it simply needed better execution and faithful portrayal of characterization instead of doing two extremes. Along with finding myself to enjoy in majority of sagas Jessie, James and Meowth were in having more to like than dislike in OS, AG or DP embellishing series with their funny schemes, exuberant personalities and unique traits.

So as far as im concerned im willing to give them chance being in favor of their stay because i like their characters being of belief how there exist juice in them to do more and better.

Honestly the only thing TR was good for was new moves/evo's for Ash and the gang and BW proved that they aren't needed for that(with the exception of Crustle) so they should leave on this high note before the writers revert them to the crap they were before BW.

*ignoring the rest of the thread*

I really don't think TR is going anywhere any time soon. They're too popular to be taken out. Be that as it may, though, I don't know what more can be done with them. Then again, the whole appeal of TR is that they are most developed characters in the show. They have aspects that can be used as something other than their main premise. Another aspect is that no matter how many times they've tried to go straight, they are like a family now and can't live without each other, and evidently, know nothing more than to chase Pikachu. It's almost impossible for them to not be villains, but you know they're not truly evil, either. Their dedication to Giovanni is total, though. They would totally sacrifice themselves for him, but they are also the only ones to stop Gio when he went too far, too. You can try to eliminate TR, but the trio will probably operate on their own agenda regardless, or if they did turn good, they would somehow still be like rivals and probably would still want to get Pikachu. Is there a real end for TR? Only if TR is no longer popular.

NO! Team rocket has been around since episode 2. yes they have had their low points but still with a new region with new pokemon and regaining some of their comediac material and the Meowth balloon back, it would be a step and fall backwards. replaceing jessie and james with Cassisdy and Biff would nullify why people have liked team rocket. FOR THEIR AMUSEMNET AND COMIC RELIEF. remember that if a show is way too serious and has no jokes, it becomes a documetary. Also Meowth is also a figurehead for pokemon just like Pikachu and Charizard. so NO to their removal!

No, but they should have a more serious personality than the one they had prior to bw. If they'd behave like in episode n, then it's fine.

If they're slowly regressing to how they were in DP, then yes please. I'd rather have some serious villains who pose as a threat for the main characters than a comedic trio that are horribly forced and put in an episode just to solve a problem for a COTD or something and you just can't take serious. It also felt so good in BW knowing that Team Rocket wouldn't show up in every. single. episode. But now they seem to be showing up in nearly every episode again....

AGAIN THIS IS WHY THE SHOW IS STILL ON THE AIR TO ME AND AND MY OWN OPNION AND THEY HAVE TOTALLY REDEEMED THEMSELVES OF ALL OF BW AND THEY ARE THE COMEDIANS I HAVE LOVED FOR YEARS AND WHEN I AM WATCHING EVERY EPISODE FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE ANIME I HAVE ON DVD.

If they're slowly regressing to how they were in DP, then yes please. I'd rather have some serious villains who pose as a threat for the main characters than a comedic trio that are horribly forced and put in an episode just to solve a problem for a COTD or something and you just can't take serious. It also felt so good in BW knowing that Team Rocket wouldn't show up in every. single. episode. But now they seem to be showing up in nearly every episode again....

There are serious villains in the anime, even Team Rocket is a serious villain organization, but TRio, whilst being part of Team Rocket, are not a group of threatening, serious villains, and frankly, they never will be. Their job is to seem evil, yet still be likable and occasionally team up with the twerps to bring down a regional villainous group, that will benefit both parties.

NO! WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING?! THEY'RE THE FUNNIEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO POKÉMON!

Hehe! I remember when people used to say things like this in Johto and it was a pretty filler boring saga. But after all these years in the "Da" series it seems like they are trying too hard to make them interesting even though they've stopped having a plot since Kanto.

There are serious villains in the anime, even Team Rocket is a serious villain organization, but TRio, whilst being part of Team Rocket, are not a group of threatening, serious villains, and frankly, they never will be. Their job is to seem evil, yet still be likable and occasionally team up with the twerps to bring down a regional villainous group, that will benefit both parties.

Yet they were threatening and serious during the most of Best Wishes, you can't really deny that. During their occasional appearances in Best Wishes they weren't humorous at all, not being there for funny aspects once. I'm okay with Team Rocket being funny and all, but not in every single episode. It became so forced and boring by the time DP aired. I cringed everytime I saw them and when I watched the show on the internet most of the time I skipped the parts they were in. If they would show up like every 25 episodes or something like in BW just for fun but also to form a threat once in a while I would be okay with that. If not and from now on they're going to appear in every single episode again with the same time consuming motto, mecha and cliche ''capture the twerp's Pokemon'' plan just to be blasted off shortly after that, I'd rather see them go.

But even though they get on my nerves now I liked Team Rocket in Original series episodes on tv when I was younger. So if they go, I do hope they get a nice farewell episode or even a farewell arc.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom