• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Pikachu evolve?

Supreme Leader Palpitoad

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
I searched for a thread like this and I did not find one, so sorry if there already is one. Anyways do you think he should and what would be the pros, cons of an evolutin for him?

The only con that still exists at this point is the fact they would have to change the mascot of the series if this ever happens.
Every other reason is a BS excuse made by the anime.

It's not just about changing the mascot, Pikachu is the source of the shows fame. Due to the shows fame Pikachu has also been the prominent figure in several games. Even in this latest generation it's the only Pokemon to retain that annoying voice from the show.

Without Pikachu there is no show. The closest you can get to this would be Spinoffs.

The only con that still exists at this point is the fact they would have to change the mascot of the series if this ever happens.
Every other reason is a BS excuse made by the anime.
They are plenty of Pikachu's in the anime, and games and stuff not just Ash's. They would have no problem finding a replacement Pikachu that looks the same. I would like to see Team Rocket try to steal Pikachu and during it a Thunder Stone is accidentally use on Pikachu.

I say yes. I like Raichu A LOT more than Pikachu and he would be stronger. The only downside I can see is that Pika is the mascot of pokemon and he will not be on the main cast anymore.

Raichu looks so much better, but it looks much more heroic and underdog-y on Ash and Pikachu's part for a Pokemon that's not fully-evolved to take on fully-evolved or even legendary Pokemon and win.

Yes. Raichu looks far better than Pikachu. It is so chubby and cute, plus it is orange. :3

Pikachu is the Pokemon icon. It's become it's legendary symbol, therefore it is more likely that he will never evolve, still, due to the fact that he's the Pokemon that has lived the greater amount of adventures and has had many different expiriences and aquired many different habilities, having him evolved would be an interesting boost up. However, the fact that he's not a fully evolved pokemon and is yet able to defeat greater enemies and is an unusually powerful would loose it's meanning if he evolved (unless they take things to another level and suddenly surprise us with a whole new, even more powerful and more god-like pokemon, alongside a Raichu that is aswell amazingly gifted and fought in... intergalactical pokemon battles of some sort)

I think Pikachu deserves a reward for all that he's been trough (which has been a lot), and a higher domain of his own element trough an evolution sounds ideal to me even if im not a big fan of Raichu (it's black paws and ears make me uneasy), but i would miss old Pikachu, probably because of the same reason.

Too late now so no. They don't even need to evolve it anyway, it's a tv show so he would do the same as Raichu as he does as Pikachu.

I don't really see a reason for Pikachu to evolve within the context of the show. I can understand why people might want it to evolve and Raichu does have a nice design, but it just wouldn't make sense for Pikachu to evolve after all of the journeys it has been through with Ash. It likes being Pikachu and not being able to sit on Ash's shoulders anymore wouldn't be appealing to it either. Not to mention the obvious fact that Pikachu is the mascot of the entire franchise. There's no way that they'd evolve their franchise's mascot. Besides that, Pikachu has found ways to become just as strong, if not stronger, if it had evolved into Raichu at some point.

Pikachu will evolve when...

- Ash reunites with Butterfree and Pidgeot again.
- We find out what happened to Ash's father.
- Brock and Misty become permanent cast members again.
- The Pokemon Company releases the 90 minute version of Mewtwo Strikes Back on a bi-lingual blu-ray in North America.

Pikachu will evolve when...

- Ash reunites with Butterfree and Pidgeot again.
- We find out what happened to Ash's father.
- Brock and Misty become permanent cast members again.
- The Pokemon Company releases the 90 minute version of Mewtwo Strikes Back on a bi-lingual blu-ray in North America.
I'd say there's a chance at least 2 of those things might happen. But my answer to the topic question is no. Although it would be okay with me if he did evolve.

I will present you my headcannon:
Pikachu wants to evolve, but he has an illness that prevents him to evolve.
He hides his illness by telling Ash he doesn't want to evolve in fear that Ash abandons him if he tells Ash about his illness.
"...There is a problem with this one." Oak, EP001

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: It doesn't matter how you like Raichu, or you dislike Pikachu; but like or not, Pikachu is the Pokemon that for his own, represents the Pokemon franchse as a whole. The franchise are not going to give answer to some of older fnabase to dream of a Riachu on Ash's team because that WILL NOT happen and we know why. You put an image of Talonflame to a random person and you said it's pokemon and the person could said WTF? Do the same with pokemon and this will be recognized in the 1st minute.And in Japan, this can be applied to the majority of the population.

And I love Pikachu, and I find him cuter than Raichu (although I still like it).

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom