• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Should PLA’S Battle/Catching Mechanics Being the Standard Going Forward?

Should PLA’S Battle/Catching Mechanics Being the Standard Going Forward?

• Yes

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Maybe with some changes/refinements

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

pitchtheripoff

Professor Laventon Enjoyer
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
The catching itself is amazing but I'd love if they adjust the agression a bit as it feels like even a simple step is enough to get the entire field of Pokemon to come at you.

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Catching mechanics yes, battle mechanics fuck no besides having multiple styles to perform a move in.

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
What other battle mechanics are there??
Inability to switch out Pokemon between rounds, 3v1 battles, the awful Action Order system... I would revise the style system to get rid of the Action Order and instead allow different styles of moves to have different effects, such as inflicting status or adjusting stats.

Oriden

Here to ride the rumor train.
Reaction score
Inability to switch out Pokemon between rounds, 3v1 battles, the awful Action Order system... I would revise the style system to get rid of the Action Order and instead allow different styles of moves to have different effects, such as inflicting status or adjusting stats.
Oh, so basically all of the battle mechanics since action order is pretty much what Styles is for.

I actually wouldn't mind keeping the action order and "agile style" for the purpose of using status moves before an attack, but without the double PP cost. Because status moves usually feel like a wasted turn just letting the opponent hit you, it's nicer to have an opportunity to use a status and still get a hit in. That double PP thing ruins it, though, so I haven't really bothered with the styles at all beyond evolving my wyrdeer. I feel like a weaker attack ought to be the only trade off, not wasted PP.

R1ke

D U C K
Reaction score
I really like most the changes, it makes the experience more fun and unpredictable. They’re more engaging now. But I want abilities back, was surprised they removed them. Held items would be nice too but I don’t mind as much

Jimothy

Reaction score
Yeah, I was all about held items back in gen 2, but abilities are a better application of the same idea. And I do kind of like Mega Stones/Sinnoh dragon items and such as key items. So something like the LA battle system with abilities is my favored approach too.

Bringing back abilities (and tweaking them all for the new system, of course) makes it just complex enough, cutting held items makes it just streamlined enough.