• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should PLA’S Battle/Catching Mechanics Being the Standard Going Forward?

Should PLA’S Battle/Catching Mechanics Being the Standard Going Forward?

• Yes

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Maybe with some changes/refinements

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
Catching mechanics yes, battle mechanics fuck no besides having multiple styles to perform a move in.

What other battle mechanics are there??
Inability to switch out Pokemon between rounds, 3v1 battles, the awful Action Order system... I would revise the style system to get rid of the Action Order and instead allow different styles of moves to have different effects, such as inflicting status or adjusting stats.

Inability to switch out Pokemon between rounds, 3v1 battles, the awful Action Order system... I would revise the style system to get rid of the Action Order and instead allow different styles of moves to have different effects, such as inflicting status or adjusting stats.
Oh, so basically all of the battle mechanics since action order is pretty much what Styles is for.

I actually wouldn't mind keeping the action order and "agile style" for the purpose of using status moves before an attack, but without the double PP cost. Because status moves usually feel like a wasted turn just letting the opponent hit you, it's nicer to have an opportunity to use a status and still get a hit in. That double PP thing ruins it, though, so I haven't really bothered with the styles at all beyond evolving my wyrdeer. I feel like a weaker attack ought to be the only trade off, not wasted PP.

I really like most the changes, it makes the experience more fun and unpredictable. They’re more engaging now. But I want abilities back, was surprised they removed them. Held items would be nice too but I don’t mind as much

Yeah, I was all about held items back in gen 2, but abilities are a better application of the same idea. And I do kind of like Mega Stones/Sinnoh dragon items and such as key items. So something like the LA battle system with abilities is my favored approach too.

Bringing back abilities (and tweaking them all for the new system, of course) makes it just complex enough, cutting held items makes it just streamlined enough.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom