• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Should Primal Kyogre had been Water/Electric instead?

Shoudl Primal Kyogre have gotten an Electric typing?

• Yes

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 65.2%

• Total voters

Morningstar

Memeber
Reaction score
I'm wondering, with Groudon's Primal Reversion getting a new type, That the theme of Balance would be better enforced if Kyogre also gotten one as well, namely Electric.

Reasons why a part electric typing would be logical:
  • Groudon has access to a few Fire-type moves, likewise, Kyogre currently knows 4 Electric type moves, and unlike Groudon, both water and electric types (and flying) beenfir from the rain
  • From the Type chart. Water has an advantage over Fire, but Ground has an advantage over Electric. Ergo, their typings could ensure that both ahve an advantage over each other, but also are disadvataged aganst each other, sort like a more comple version of how Ghosts and Dragons are weak to their own type

Reasons why the typing would fail to support the theme
  • Why the typings do seem to compliemnt each other. The abilitys null the type of the opposing stab would make things a bit lop sided Groudon dround typing renders it immune to Thunder attacks and its ability nulls water-type attacks. So Kyogre would be forced to run Ice moves to even attack groudon (And ice moves are weak aganst fire)
  • On top of that, lightning seem more like Raquayza's territory, with him being the sky

So what do you think. SHould Kyogre have gotten an Electric-typing for it's Primal form or not? and Why do you think so?

I'm wondering, with Groudon's Primal Reversion getting a new type, That the theme of Balance would be better enforced if Kyogre also gotten one as well, namely Electric.

Reasons why a part electric typing would be logical:
  • Groudon has access to a few Fire-type moves, likewise, Kyogre currently knows 4 Electric type moves, and unlike Groudon, both water and electric types (and flying) beenfir from the rain
  • From the Type chart. Water has an advantage over Fire, but Ground has an advantage over Electric. Ergo, their typings could ensure that both ahve an advantage over each other, but also are disadvataged aganst each other, sort like a more comple version of how Ghosts and Dragons are weak to their own type

Reasons why the typing would fail to support the theme
  • Why the typings do seem to compliemnt each other. The abilitys null the type of the opposing stab would make things a bit lop sided Groudon dround typing renders it immune to Thunder attacks and its ability nulls water-type attacks. So Kyogre would be forced to run Ice moves to even attack groudon (And ice moves are weak aganst fire)
  • On top of that, lightning seem more like Raquayza's territory, with him being the sky

So what do you think. SHould Kyogre have gotten an Electric-typing for it's Primal form or not? and Why do you think so?

Like the idea of dual typing but i feel it should have been an ice typing for primal kyogre largely because an ice age vver tropical hoenn zsounds sweet

That would've certainly been cool, but I don't think it needs to have a second type. Giving it Ice, maybe even flying as a second type would make more sense IMO. Although a stab-boosted always-hitting thunder would be amazing :p

That would've certainly been cool, but I don't think it needs to have a second type. Giving it Ice, maybe even flying as a second type would make more sense IMO. Although a stab-boosted always-hitting thunder would be amazing :p

I chose Electric because I felt that it's weakness to Ground would parallel Groudon's Fire-type being weak to Water (and because it know Electric moves) Flying would have been redundant with Rayquayza. But Ice is anpther possivility especilay considering Groundon's ability wouden't help the STAB of its base form (Sand storm would have done that)

I definitely think that Groudon got the fire typing because of the magma blood it has as PG. But Kyogre has shining light coming from within itself as PK. Light is associated with Psychic, Electric, Rock (through jewels and Carbink/Diancie), and Fairy. While Electric makes the most sense, I think Water/Psychic could've been a good fit for it.

Well that's one way to break the meta I guess. Stab Thunder on Primal Kyogre would be all kinds of broken, and with permanent rain things just get even crazier.

While your reasoning for Primal Kyogre being part Electric makes sense, it would make Primal Groudon even more of a sure victory over it in Desolate Land.

I personally don't think so. The only reason I could it being a possibility is because Kyogre is associated with storms which could include lightning. But I think its typing is fine the way it is.

No, there is no thematic reason for Kyogre to have electricity tacked on. And there are water types that learn thunder and other electric type attacks without sharing the type.

They gave groudon fire because it makes sense for a large angry volcanic pokemon to have a fire typing.

Literally no one talked about Water/Electric Kyogre until Primals were introduced, whereas people have been arguing that Groudon should be fire type before then. Only real reason I can think of is that Primal Kyogre has yellow markings and now people are trying to find realistic justifications for it other than "it has yellow"

Literally no one talked about Water/Electric Kyogre until Primals were introduced, whereas people have been arguing that Groudon should be fire type before then. Only real reason I can think of is that Primal Kyogre has yellow markings and now people are trying to find realistic justifications for it other than "it has yellow"

I didn't see yellow markings on Primal Kyogre, I did see Yellow, but they were more like organs than markings.

What I said in the last post (That Electric's weakness to ground would parallel Fire's weakness to water and thus reinforce the balance of land and sea) is what my original reasoning for why Electric and not Ice, Psychic or Flying. It had nothing to do with what the design looks like. Also Groudon is Red so I can apply the same "it should be *type* because its color matches those of *type*" logic to the pro-fire-type Groudon debate.

I started playing during Gen IV and didn't join these forums specifically until recently, so I missed the original debate by a long shot. But If I was apart of the fanbase back when RSE was out, I would have made the case that Kyogre would have been partially Electrc and Groudon should have had its Primal typing by default.

Last edited:
There's a comic I saw on Tumblr about Brenden ranting before Archie about how his plan is supposedly stupid: rain is generally generated from water from the ocean anyway. Now that might only be the case with rain as traditionally observed: perhaps Kyogre generates its rain another way. It could cause atmospheric H2 and O2 (or perhaps even extra-atmospheric in the case of H2) to become H20, for instance.

I've thought that Primal Kyogre could've maybe been made Water/Electric before. A change I've decided could be better would be Primordial Sea negating Ground moves instead of Fire move. The rain could still manage to reduce the efficacy of Fire moves though, by an increased amount even.

It's only too bad that Desolate Land and Primordial Sea trump each other. If one is triggered while the other is in effect, it'd be nice if the two "battled" a la a kind of Delta Stream effect: Ground and Fire types could lose their weakness to Water, and Kyogre could receive... some kind of something, I guess.

I think electric typing would work really well actually. Hoenn is tropical remember and probably has lots of tropical storms.

I agree that Kyogre should've gotten an electric typing. After seeing that Groudon got Fire, I was surprised that Kyogre didn't get Electric. Especially since it learns several Electric type moves. Plus lightning and such are associated with big rain/thunder storms. In the end, I don't really care a whole lot. But it would've been much cooler to gain Electric. Plus it would improve the whole "balance" thing between Kyogre and Groudon.

Primal Kyogre being part Electric would make him even more unbalanced to Primal Groudon. He'd be immune to both of Kyogre's stabs.

Yeah the abilities threw a wrench into that idea. I really don't get why they added the immunities to that

Primal Kyogre being part Electric would make him even more unbalanced to Primal Groudon. He'd be immune to both of Kyogre's stabs.

agreed, but it needs revenge for all those sad "Kyogre always wins vs it" in the past

While I think that would be cool, as others have mentioned Groudon would be able to kill it without Kyogre standing a chance.
...Actually, now that I think about it, it'd be no different than it is now. They'd have to completely switch up the abilities for that to work.

Whilst the arguments make sense I electric isn't what I would've thought. I was disappointed it didn't get a new type, though.

I thought Groudon was fire as a kid so I'm glad it got it ;o

That's be hilarious tbh xD

An amazing type combination on an already absurdly amazing pokemon? Pfft, yeah, I totally want another mega rayray. Though I don't like how it's basically just a vkyogre with slightly more rounded stats. Water/Ice might have worked, since ice beam is an important move on kyogre. That said, while it's not terribad defensive typing, it's still inferior to just water, so I'm not sure if it would be an overall upgrade or downgrade.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom