• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Raichu get Light Ball

Should Raichu get Light Ball?

• Total voters
Raichu is a great Pokemon without the use of Light Ball if used correctly, however it is outclassed by many other Electric types for the same, or similar roles in competitive battle. I voted yes simply as a test to see if it would make Raichu broken, or not in battle, as the Pokemon is still quite frail and has a very shallow move pool with it's average speed to contend with other much faster foe's.

I personally believe because of it's other downfalls the Pokemon would not be broken with Light Ball, but rather an electric version of a Choice Banded Max Attack Haxorus, or a Choice Specs Max Sp.Attack Chandelure etc.

True, Pikachu isn't something competitively special, but the whole point of the Light Ball is to make the franchise's mascot standout a bit by giving it something special.

It's more than just that. Raichu needs to be a decent battler, perhaps at least UU material since it's now being treated as a mid-tier section, in order to keep Pikachu's mascot title; otherwise, he'll need to be replaced with another cute Pokemon that evolves into a great Pokemon (Clefairy, Togepi, Marill, etc).

Pikachu's mascot status has nothing to do with its viability (or lack of) in a fan-made metagame. Light Ball exists to give Pikachu a boost, presumably for the kids who just don't want to evolve their Pikachu (like Ash).

Well Raichu is an ugly orange rat, so I can see why people wouldn't want to evolve Pikachu. Granted Pikachu is an ugly yellow rat, but yellow is still better then orange in almost all aspects. Especially for being a mascot with a lot of raw power via Light Ball but with defenses comparable to wet tissue.

I think it should, I used to use Raichu in my Kanto team, then I discovered Jolteon seemed much more useful so switched to Jolteon.

I think most of you would agree that in a team Jolteon is better than Raichu.

I think it should, I used to use Raichu in my Kanto team, then I discovered Jolteon seemed much more useful so switched to Jolteon.

But Jolteon has a much shallower movepool, like almost all eeveelutions, than Raichu.

But Jolteon has a much shallower movepool, like almost all eeveelutions, than Raichu.
Sure Jolteon doesn't get as much type coverage as Raichu (As you said, all Eeveelutions have pretty terrible movepools), but it has an amazing 130 speed stat and a really good 110 special attack stat - both higher than Raichu. Sure its defences are pretty terrible as well (65-60-95), but while Raichu's special attack is below average for a special attacker and its speed is average, Jolteon's are above average. Its abilities are arguably better than Lightningrod depending on your team - Volt Absorb could be useful in double battles and could help make up for its fragility; whereas Quick Feet can make it even faster.

The crux of it is though, both Pokémon are greatly outclassed by other Electric-type Pokémon competitively (Thundurus and Zapdos say hi). In-game, I'd choose Raichu over Jolteon, but in a competitive environment, if I had to use one of them, it would be Jolteon.

True, Pikachu isn't something competitively special, but the whole point of the Light Ball is to make the franchise's mascot standout a bit by giving it something special.

It's more than just that. Raichu needs to be a decent battler, perhaps at least UU material since it's now being treated as a mid-tier section, in order to keep Pikachu's mascot title; otherwise, he'll need to be replaced with another cute Pokemon that evolves into a great Pokemon (Clefairy, Togepi, Marill, etc).

Has it ever occurred to you that "replacing" a mascot of 15 years is no walk in the park? And replacing a mascot just because he sucks at battling is even dumber, when the fandom includes battlers and non-battlers alike?
And yes, mascot =/= great battler. Mascot == popular Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom