• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
They're not something that I see the point of existing since they're just old Pokemon with a cosmetic change and a new type or two. GF could just as easily make new original Pokemon instead of recycling old designs.
I Disagree. . . Some of the Designs of Regional Varients are make the pokemon look better; have a Better Moveset & more advantageous Pokemon Typing; Have In-universe Lore for changing so drastically(giving an actual reason within the world inside of the game/anime/etc that's much deeper than just the Developers just Padding out the region or doing all they can to avoid the dreaded #1000); It connects the Pokemon world to reality, due to a Natural Phenomenon that happens to REAL Animals; Species Changing & Adapting to New & Different Environments; I.E. Darwin's Finch having Different Designs to survive within their diets, Habitats, & Niches. . .

Comparing entirely new Pokemon to regional variants is in some way looking at two different types of creativity.

With the former, they’re trying to come up with something totally original (which is kind of debatable since every Pokémon in some way is inspired by something in the real world, but let’s call it original for the sake of argument/comparison).

With regional variants, the creator is given an old Pokémon as a base and is tasked to come up with some kind of unique spin on it. A lot of times this is successful, like an Ice-type version of the Fire-type, Ninetales. Other times you get Golem with facial hair.

I’d say that both these types of creativity are valid in their own way and can coexist well alongside one another. That’s just my two cents for the people that think new versions of pre-existing Pokémon are inherently lazy.

And other times you get a Wheezing that's supposed to be a factory but everybody calls it a bong.
I’m glad that meme was quickly replaced by Sir Weezing and Doug Dimmadome. It was a little disconcerting at first and turned me off to the design in the beginning. But Galarian Weezing is slowly growing on me, mainly because of its typing, new ability and ties to real world Britain.

I have a problem with making regional forms cooler and/or more useful than their original forms, and regional evolutions are the epitome of that. I miss cross-generational evolutions, since they were a natural way to give a Pokemon a new lease on life.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom