• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
What's wrong? We're living in the age of memes now XD
They end up with bad designs. See: Alolan Persian. There are SO. many. Possibilities. But they went with a meme-Pokemon of all things.
And the Diglett line could end up lots better.

Niyuura

Reaction score
They end up with bad designs. See: Alolan Persian. There are SO. many. Possibilities. But they went with a meme-Pokemon of all things.
And the Diglett line could end up lots better.
I think they admitted to intentionally making dugtrio a meme to reminisce rock stars of old times..

Harryghost

Glamorous Technician
Reaction score
I dunno. I mean, the concept does sound kinda cool in its own way, but I never really liked the regional variants in favor of their regular forms. Personally, I had rather the concept be just a one generation thing, but seeing the popularity of the new forms, I wouldn't be surprised if this gimmick continued in the future generations as well.

Sunsette

Fun Ghoul
Reaction score
I think it could be cool to see other regional variants of Pokemon, but seems like it'd be confusing and maybe difficult to implement in the long run. Not necessarily something I want to see for every region or generation.

FroyoDragon

oh my
Reaction score
Why not, honestly. If it can give older Pokemon a new, fresher look, I'm all for it :3 in general, I favor fleshing out already existing Pokemon over creating even more.

BackSet

Silence!
Reaction score
If like them to stay but some of the fan ideas for regional variants seem unlikely and weird to me.

Ambrose7

Sobble fan :3
Reaction score
I think it could be cool to see other regional variants of Pokemon, but seems like it'd be confusing and maybe difficult to implement in the long run. Not necessarily something I want to see for every region or generation.
They could probably do it for region with vast climate differences. Like I don't see much difference between Johto, Kanto and Unova but Sinnoh is noticeably colder.

BackSet

Silence!
Reaction score
They could probably do it for region with vast climate differences. Like I don't see much difference between Johto, Kanto and Unova but Sinnoh is noticeably colder.
I thought Unova was also noticeably colder. It would be wierd if it wasn't since it's essentially Pokemon New York.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think that there should be more regional variants. I want more non- Kanto variants. I think that this feature gives regions a sense of identity.

Foxwarrior

Reaction score
I think it should be an Alola feature.
Wasted potential as it could be expanded in Ultra sun and Ultra Moon.

Mega evolutions, cross evolutions and Z moves are much more interesting. I don't like old pokemon with just new designs instead of new lines or new evolutions.

If they can handle megas, evolutions, z moves and also forms in one genetions it's ok, but i doubt this will happen .

BackSet

Silence!
Reaction score
Well, I mean, alola forms that are already in existance can't go away. But the question is what will happen to them in future generations if it was a one time thing. Will there be special ways to get Alolan forms? Or will they be forgotten entirely. Although, too be honest, it was a great exploration into how environment can cause Pokemon to change the way it causes animals to change in real life.

Sean Brown

Reaction score
Nope. They shouldn't. It would make no sense if alolan sandshrews suddenly start appearing in Mt. Moon in the gen 10 remakes of frlg.

TechSkylander1518

Reaction score
They said special ways, not commonly encounterable. (And, lord, I hope we're not getting Gen 1 remakes in Gen 10...) There are better ways to include them-a tourist NPC could trade them to the player, for example.

Brake

Just a Pokémon Trainer.
Reaction score
I would love if they continue with the concept of regional variants. But, of course, without the limitation of being exclusive to Kanto Pokémon.

Midorikawa

Reach for my hand~
Reaction score
I don’t really like them but at this point they should continue with what they started. And do it with non kanto Pokémon.

Drakon

Requiem Raver
Reaction score
It makes sense from a biological evolutionary perspective but at the same time, it seems like it's a way to make new pokémon without really making new pokémon.

A Wild Luxray

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
This is one feature I hope they don't abandon so quickly. I loved the concept of regional variants, but I hope they would focus on other regions in the future. It did annoy me that they only gave Kanto Pokemon Alolan forms in Sun and Moon.

Matleo

Reaction score
what if our not alolan native one has a regional variant in the region its coming from?

what if yungoos line would have a other regional variant from the original region it comes from?
taking that its based on a moongoose, maybe part steel? most snakes are poison or grass.
norma/steel?

Small Asian mongoose - Wikipedia

Last edited: