• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Well with Galarian variants being confirmed, I think it’s safe to say that this will be a series mainstay going forward and I’m here for it!
I Mean; It DOES Make sense for them to keep it; not only to add more Lore & also connect the Pokemon world to the Real-Life Animal Adaptations that exist in Real Life, where certain Species have changed in order to Adapt to their environments. . .

I'm All For it becoming a Series Mainstay after Alola & Galar!!

prog rocker

Reaction score
While I do want them to stay, I think we should wait another Gen to see if it sticks.

Esserise

Two legs ain't my walk
Reaction score
Yeah, probably jumping the gun to assume that they're a "mainstay" now. Frankly, not much in this series is, beyond the core mechanics.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
They are a mainstain as long as they can give the majority of the forms to Kanto mons.

Nil

Reaction score
Yeah, I like them, it means we get some interesting new spins on classic designs - I love Alolan Vulpix and Marowak. Plus it seems like we'll get a really silly one each gen too, with Alolan Exeggutor and Galarian Weezing. I'd like to see them adapt some designs from species later than Gen 1, too.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Regional variants are a tacky gimmick that render the original versions of certain Pokemon totally frivolous.
Actually no. The regional variants aren’t outright more powerful than the original counterparts, or are intrusive to their niche. If you need a fast arena trapper you won’t use Alolan Dugtrio over the regular one. Alolan Ninetales doesn’t intrude on Ninetales' niche. If you need a fire type you go with the Kanto form, and if you want an ice type you go with the Alolan form.
The originals are still as useful as before due to their different types, abilities and stat distributions.

Yami-no-Game

Reaction score
They're not something that I see the point of existing since they're just old Pokemon with a cosmetic change and a new type or two. GF could just as easily make new original Pokemon instead of recycling old designs.

BackSet

Silence!
Reaction score
Didn't they have different stats or something? I'm not really into that part of the game so I don't know.

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
Why not just create new Pokémon? After Galar, the National Dex would be in the four digits. They can't hold a three digit dex for much longer.

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
I highly doubt that Sword & Shield will introduce over 150 new Pokemon. That's just ridiculous.
I mean the next regions after Galar. Generation 9 could get us into the thousands. If not, then Generation X would definately be over a thousand. The only way to avoid getting four digits is to stop introducing new Pokémon, which the fanbase would not like.