• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
I'm not sure about them now. Some of them look amazing (Sandslash, Ninetales, Marowak), but Dugtrio, Raticate and Persian are just hideous. If they actually put more effort into them, the regional variants can be pretty awesome, but they shouldn't be limited to Kanto Pokemon only.

Something I honestly wonder is why people equate "ugly" with "low effort"

I mean, Dugtrio and its fabulous do isn't my cup of tea either, but they didn't just slap a wig on it and call it a day. I mean, it's obviously based on an actual real world thing (Pele's hair)

So, I def hope that GF will continue regional variants including ugly ones. They'll continue making ugly Pokemon regardless of whether it are variants or not anyway

Last edited:
Are people really still peeved about pancakes?

Anyway, yes, keep regional forms around for the long haul. I love the idea of applying biological rules to Pokemon.

but they didn't just slap a wig on it and call it a da. I mean, it's obviously based on an actual real world thing (Pele's hair)

They could make more noticeable changes while still including the Pele's hair thing. Remove the strands of hair on Diglett and it’s almost the same as Kanto Diglett, and Meowth is nothing more than a recolour.

Sooner or later regional variants will get extremely repetitive, plus that would mean so much more Pokemon will get new forms with new typings. It'll just make things much more complicated overall, if you want to complete the dex.

So no, I think regional variants for this gen is pretty nice, but if it goes on for 3-4 more gens I think that's way too overboard

It'll just make things much more complicated overall, if you want to complete the dex.
Only one form is needed to register an entry in the PokeDex. It'd actually be less complicated for completing the PokeDex than adding new Pokemon.

Only one form is needed to register an entry in the PokeDex. It'd actually be less complicated for completing the PokeDex than adding new Pokemon.
Unless you're a perfectionist like me who wants both forms... it'll be much harder, plus that would mean a new battle strategy with the new forms
I like the idea of regional variants for this gen, but as I said before it'll become repetitive sooner or later

Unless you're a perfectionist like me who wants both forms... it'll be much harder
That's a self-imposed challenge, not an actual game feature. Nothing wrong with trying for it yourself, but there's no reason for the game to be built around something that's...not actually in the game.
plus that would mean a new battle strategy with the new forms
Every new Pokemon brings about new strategies. It's not a bad thing.

At this point, I think regional variants are just Mega Evolutions. They will probably just be a ruse specific to this generation. I wonder how well it would be received if a future generation will just be a new region with a few new Pokemon and the regional dex be largely made up of mon from previous generations? Maybe even starters from a previous generation?

I wonder how well it would be received if a future generation will just be a new region with a few new Pokemon and the regional dex be largely made up of mon from previous generations? Maybe even starters from a previous generation?
I think Game Freak should definitely reuse things like starters, common mammals and birds, and even some legendaries. It lets Game Freak focus on better designs for the new Pokémon.

Every new Pokemon brings about new strategies. It's not a bad thing.

Ok, let me rephrase that
Lets say, for some reason, Hoenn Pokemon are getting regional variants. Lets say that there is a "Cookie Salamence" for the Cookie Region. It's Fairy/Flying type (Cuz cookies taste so magical that you would want to fly), and has no mega. Normal Salamence is, obviously, a Dragon/Flying type with a mega. Both have different stats, with Cookie Salamence having a slightly higher defense and special defense stat but slightly lower attack and speed stat. Both are still weak to ice, rock, and electric, however fairy has an immunity to dragon and only takes x2 from ice. However since it's slower it's less of a sweeper, which I believe Salamence is known for. Plus it's slower and has less power than Salamence, so it has a less chance of sweeping a whole team. However, Cookie Salamence could last longer than Salamence because of better defense. It's kinda like what you said, it brings about a new strategy, however it's harder to know which one you would use... a fast sweeper or a defensive staller, especially when other Pokemon could be one of those. That's an example, I say Raichu and the Ice Alolan forms have something like that

(this may be a terrible example but I suck at explaining)

I also feel like this would become extremely repetitive, like we expect new regional variants each gen, that's probably the reason we didn't get new megas this gen.

It's kinda like what you said, it brings about a new strategy, however it's harder to know which one you would use... a fast sweeper or a defensive staller, especially when other Pokemon could be one of those.
Again, choices in battles aren't a bad thing, and Pokemon fit into different competitive roles regardless of having other forms or not.

As a matter of fact-your proposed variation of Salamance, a Fairy/Flying with a lower BST but higher defensive stats? We have a Pokemon exactly like that: Togekiss. I know your example is not meant to be all-encompassing, but I think the fact that you completely missed a Pokemon that is exactly what you're concerned would happen shows that it's not really as big a problem as you think it is. (Surely you'd remember Togekiss if its presence was actually causing a problem?)
I also feel like this would become extremely repetitive, like we expect new regional variants each gen,
If we're getting different designs with each of them, why would that be repetitive? We expect new Pokemon each generation, and we receive new designs each generation.

As a matter of fact-your proposed variation of Salamance, a Fairy/Flying with a lower BST but higher defensive stats? We have a Pokemon exactly like that: Togekiss. I know your example is not meant to be all-encompassing, but I think the fact that you completely missed a Pokemon that is exactly what you're concerned would happen shows that it's not really as big a problem as you think it is. (Surely you'd remember Togekiss if its presence was actually causing a problem?)
This is why I can't explain well...
And no, I blocked a Togekiss sweep memory from me so yeah
If we're getting different designs with each of them, why would that be repetitive? We expect new Pokemon each generation, and we receive new designs each generation.
Yes, it's repetitive that older Pokemon gets newer forms. Sooner or later we'll have so much regional variants that (as I said before) it'll get harder to actually catch em all, forms included. It'll start wearing on people after a few generations that there will always be new variants each gen, regional variants won't be as "fresh" as it is now.

Sooner or later we'll have so much regional variants that (as I said before) it'll get harder to actually catch em all, forms included.
And as I said before, regional variants aren't required for entries in the PokeDex, and so won't make the actual mechanic harder. While it does increase the load for someone who wants to collect all forms as well, it's no worse than new Pokemon being added.
It'll start wearing on people after a few generations that there will always be new variants each gen, regional variants won't be as "fresh" as it is now.
We've gotten new Pokemon each gen, but not many people are tired of the idea of Pokemon. It's not just the concept of regional variation, but the execution of it-with interesting designs, it can still be a good inclusion.

it'd be sick to have more regional variants in future games or generations imo. it's the coolest idea they've had in several generations. i think it'd have to be done sparingly though. i don't want every generation to have like twenty new regional variants. that makes it a bit less novel. i'd probably introduce new variants for maybe two or three families a generation. four max.

They could make more noticeable changes while still including the Pele's hair thing. Remove the strands of hair on Diglett and it’s almost the same as Kanto Diglett, and Meowth is nothing more than a recolour.
Fair enough, although I'd like to point out that in case of Meowth, both the shape of its ears and its whiskers are different. and I guess its eyes, though that looks more like an expression rather than something physical. I agree that with some of the Alolan forms they could have pushed the design further. Still doesn't mean the less noticeably changed designs are lazy. that's what I think at least

As for the feature becoming repetitive? No more than the regional bird/bug/rodent/pikaclone/whateverlseweget every new generation. I think I actually prefer new forms over that, it gives older mons both another chance to shine and a new way of using them. Not that I think introducing a new regional bird/bug/rodent/pikaclone/whateverlseweget is bad or anything, I just generally don't find them that exciting.

They also didn't introduce that many Alolan forms. Only ten families got one, making for a total of 18 new forms. If they keep numbers somewhat like that, it will still be ages before every non-legendary, non-starter pokemon has a new regional form

Yeah, but Diglett and Meowth are base stages, so having minor alterations stands to reason. The changes start small and then bloom into something much more noticeable and distinct from the originals - Dugtrio's long locks and Persian's round face. It's the same way with all of the other base stage Alola Forms; if you disregard the color changes, their bodies are only slightly different from before.

And as I said before, regional variants aren't required for entries in the PokeDex, and so won't make the actual mechanic harder. While it does increase the load for someone who wants to collect all forms as well, it's no worse than new Pokemon being added.

And as someone who does collect all of the forms, I don't understand why people who do that wouldn't enjoy having lots more forms to collect. Isn't that the fun of it?

Why not? It's a great way to add more pokemon without having to increase the dex numbers. Though I do agree that regional designs deserve good backstory. I love everything about Alolan Raichu - including the pancake theme, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't explain anything about the surfing theme and how it is supposedly connected to the Surfing Pikachus from previous generations. AND IT DOES NOT LEARN SURF.

Well you see, the reason for that is simple. It doesn't surf, but it does surge surf - and those are two completely different things. As it happens, the pancakes that originally induced Raichu's mutation contained an element that altered the growth of its brain. As a result, Alolan Raichu's brain contains psionic receptors that are stimulated by the Earth's magnetic field in conjunction with electric charges in the air, allowing it to achieve levitation. However, when it attempts to hover above water, the difference in humidity and hygroelectricity overloads its receptors and distorts its sense of balance. Additionally, its pancake-heavy diet and reliance on telekinesis in order to move has caused its muscles to atrophy, making it too weak and uncoordinated to surf on water physically.

;)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom