• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
I would much rather have 5 Raichu/Pikachu regional variants than 5 Pika Clones. Mimikyu is the obvious exception, but that's a ghost with a sheet so it's a clear enough distinction.

It wouldn't even be hard. Just say every culture was so in love with Pikachu that they were naturally brought worldwide.
What I really like about this idea is that it would require differences in function as well as appearance. I think a big reason why Pikaclones are considered annoying is because they're all Electric-type, but regional variants would have to have variations between them.

I would much rather have 5 Raichu/Pikachu regional variants than 5 Pika Clones. Mimikyu is the obvious exception, but that's a ghost with a sheet so it's a clear enough distinction.

It wouldn't even be hard. Just say every culture was so in love with Pikachu that they were naturally brought worldwide.
Speaking of raichu regional variants: are we ever gonna find out why the frig Alolan raichu is psychic. Because this is a really pressing question for me.

Speaking of raichu regional variants: are we ever gonna find out why the frig Alolan raichu is psychic. Because this is a really pressing question for me.

I imagine the thought process went something like:

"Alright! Regional Variants! We're doing it!"

"We'll finally be able to make a surfing Pikachu so people can stop asking us about that."

"Actually, we're legally not allowed to change Pikachu. Have you see its shiny? We almost got fired for that."

"Oh... Oh, boy. Can we, uh... Raichu? Surfing Rai...chu?"

"Oh, yeah, totally. No one even remembers Raichu. Remember how Lt. Surge used one? And he mentioned war? Honestly, the further away we get Raichu from Surge, the better."

"Didn't he also have a Pikachu? Wasn't our last game dealing with war?"

"Yeah, but cute war. Like glowing rocks and a flower thing. Not like [REDACTED]."

"[REDACTED]"

"[REDACTED] Anyway...!"

"How does this look?"

"How will the children know it's surfing?"

"I guess if it's psychic and it's floating on its tail?"

"Right! Because [REDACTED] and then it ate a petal of that flower thing."

"Well, if we're going with that multiple timeline thing I guess there can be more than one."

"Oh, don't worry about the flowers. We theoretically have an infinite amount, but they're not going anywhere."

"Yay?"

"Exactly."

I imagine the thought process went something like:

"Alright! Regional Variants! We're doing it!"

"We'll finally be able to make a surfing Pikachu so people can stop asking us about that."

"Actually, we're legally not allowed to change Pikachu. Have you see its shiny? We almost got fired for that."

"Oh... Oh, boy. Can we, uh... Raichu? Surfing Rai...chu?"

"Oh, yeah, totally. No one even remembers Raichu. Remember how Lt. Surge used one? And he mentioned war? Honestly, the further away we get Raichu from Surge, the better."

"Didn't he also have a Pikachu? Wasn't our last game dealing with war?"

"Yeah, but cute war. Like glowing rocks and a flower thing. Not like [REDACTED]."

"[REDACTED]"

"[REDACTED] Anyway...!"

"How does this look?"

"How will the children know it's surfing?"

"I guess if it's psychic and it's floating on its tail?"

"Right! Because [REDACTED] and then it ate a petal of that flower thing."

"Well, if we're going with that multiple timeline thing I guess there can be more than one."

"Oh, don't worry about the flowers. We theoretically have an infinite amount, but they're not going anywhere."

"Yay?"

"Exactly."
Id like to imagine this is how every company gets their ideas. There's also this:

"Wouldn't that F*** up the timeline?"

"What timeline?"

Seriously! Every game ever! Especially Zelda!

As someone who's favourite Pokemon is Raichu, I'll never say no to more Raichu Variants (BUT JUST MAKE THE KANTONIAN RAICHU AVAILABLE ATLEAST SOMEWHERE IN THE GAME) Seriously, the absence of Kanto Raichu in SM was the worst thing in the game imo.
An Electric/Fire Raichu would be a dream some true.

that gave me an ide steel/flying regional variant of Emolga, Pachirisu could have a electric/grass regional variant there are more options

As someone who's favourite Pokemon is Raichu, I'll never say no to more Raichu Variants (BUT JUST MAKE THE KANTONIAN RAICHU AVAILABLE ATLEAST SOMEWHERE IN THE GAME) Seriously, the absence of Kanto Raichu in SM was the worst thing in the game imo.
An Electric/Fire Raichu would be a dream some true.

I am with you. I love Raichu. I think it's because I kept Pikachu as Pikachu and ditched him while trying to be a Dragon trainer like Lance. That uh, well, I had to make compromises since it was Gen I. I forgot about Raichu for a couple gens until I randomly rediscovered it and now I always try to keep one just in case.Psychic Raichu was perfect as Psychic and Electric along with grass make up my favorite types, so I had a new reason to have one on my team. It's funny: I always discover my favorite Pokemon from a gen years later. Ampharos, Grumpig, Eelektross are all amazing and went over my head the first time. I hate how Eelektross looks in Gen VI/VII, though. Like, it definitely makes sense to have the eel with levitate not standing up and touching the ground, but it looks so different now.

maybe because Alola is near that dimension to UB world and maybe to fight pokemon that are weak to psyhic? like geodude line is half electric?

what a waste that we didnt get a electric move thats SE on steel this generation.
what about a geodude line that would be rock/fighting with Bulletproof and Iron fist in a other region?
in the anime once geodude in Kanto took part in fighting tournament

Alola is near that dimension to UB world
Nope. Alola isn’t any 'far' or 'near' to the Ultra Space. The portals just happen to open up due to the disturbances caused by Nebby and Necrozma during the (U)SM stories.

and maybe to fight pokemon that are weak to psyhic?
Poison and Fighting? Poison types and fighting types are not a threat to Raichu. Marowak became Fire to fight grass types, which it was weak to before as a ground type.

like geodude line is half electric?
Geodude is an electromagnet now and attracts Iron shavings. Geodude and Raichu don’t habe any relation. Raichu was Electric all the time and gained psychic type, but Geodude got Electric and NOT psychic. We need an explanation for the psychic part which has no relation to geodude.

I'm FOR IT largely because I have always thought because of how big DS and later 3ds game cards got there was really no reason that there should not be regional variants of Pokemon the same with Pokemon having vivillion like forms or in the case of sinnoh that one Pokemon and it evo having different color variation based on location

Poison and Fighting? Poison types and fighting types are not a threat to Raichu. Marowak became Fire to fight grass types, which it was weak to before as a ground type.

but Kommo-o is in Alola, resists electric, weak to psychic.
We have poison and fight UBs.
It also gained a resistance to psychic and fight?
or a back side effect of those magnetic alolan rocks that affected alolan Geodude?

most legendaries in Alola are psychic related maybe thats corelation with it?

Last edited:
Id like to point out that most psychic types are artificial and the ones that aren't did not become psychic due to natural evolution.

And Kommo-o have never been shown to prey on Raichu. And if Kommo-o was really the issue, why didn’t Raichu become fairy type? ALL dragons resist electric, and fairy is the common one SE against them.

maybe because it could only so? they don't need to show us relation between them we can make assumptions?
or not? maybe psychic was more easy to achieve then fairy? nature choice simple and fast for defensive measures?
It's faster then Kommo-o, but needs fire power.

In many other regions dragon/flying was more common. Its an isolated island, everything is posibble.
Maybe it trained more its spirit and mind there for evolution?

And Kommo-o have never been shown to prey on Raichu. And if Kommo-o was really the issue, why didn’t Raichu become fairy type? ALL dragons resist electric, and fairy is the common one SE against them.

Remember when Sun And Moon were being promoted and we saw a picture of Pallosand eating pikachu? Maybe Raichu gained the Psychic typing in response to Pallosand so that it could avoid being lunch.

Remember when Sun And Moon were being promoted and we saw a picture of Pallosand eating pikachu? Maybe Raichu gained the Psychic typing in response to Pallosand so that it could avoid being lunch.

Well, Psychic makes Raichu even more weak to Pallosand than it was before...

Well, Psychic makes Raichu even more weak to Pallosand than it was before...
Heh heh. Wouldn't it be ironic if that was really the reason.

What really bites me is that we're never going to get an answer because it's never gonna be important (if it was even important to begin with) again. Pokedex entries are literally the most useless thing in the Pokemon series why do they still exist. Why can't the pokedex be useful goddammit!

Honestly, I think it'd be kind of silly if they didn't, as long as they did it right. For the past couple generations, GF has been really cutting down on the amount of Pokemon they make per generation. and I like new Pokemon as much as the next person, but I think they're trying not to wear out all their ideas for new Pokemon. Regional variants are the perfect supplement for this. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I saw a new Alolan form, it was almost like discovering a new Pokemon. It gives them a brand new design, a different typing, and these variants do not fill up a pokedex slot. I think it would be really cool if they continued on with this idea.

But, there's just one thing, not a single-region exclusive, specifically Kanto. I mean it wouldn't be too bad if it was just one region that got regional variants, per generation.. but it just makes much more sense to open it all up to every region, even some of the newer region pokemon can get regional variants. It opens them up to a variety of Pokemon they can use. I mean, come on, we all thought that Pokemon lie Tropius and Bellosom would have been great candidates for variants in Alola, but since they stuck to Kanto Pokemon, they couldn't get these forms.

Honestly, I would not mind seeing smaller Pokedexes from now on, if regional variants were there to fill in the gaps. I'm not going to be crushed if they don't bring them back (as long as they fill up the pokedex more then), but it would be sad to see them go.

would be better if psychic would gain a fairy or normal resistance.
Then some of the regional variants would be better.
Seriously if the regional variant has right stats , typing and abilities it would be very good, but hope also for new pokemon.
One thing is sureit will get intersting if geodude, raichu or others would get more variants than alolan.

I think they should be an Alolan thing. Alolan Pokémon could be ported over to the next games, but no new regional variants. Just give us some new Pokémon. I want to see what happens when the Pokédex reaches 1000.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom