• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
If we're factoring in dodging, why can't Raichu just flee from Palossand beforehand?
Because there's only so much fleeing & dodging it could do; Especially when surrounded by sand where any pile of sand could be part of Palossand; and even if Raichu could figure out where Palossand is; it could run out of stamina & endurance from so much dodging and Palossand could also catch up to raichu trying to flee. . . it'd still end up as Sand Castle food. . . While Alola Raichu could just float away from it on its tail. . . and out of that Sand Castle ghost's reach too like over water; or far away from the beach. . .

so stop trying to argue your point that Alola Forms AND regional varients as a whole suck; Because they DON'T.

TechSkylander never said regional variants sucked.
He just wanted to show that Raichu gaining psychic still leaves it vulnerable to Pallosand’s attacks.

P.S. Bolding doesn’t emphasise a point if you bold almost the entire post.

No It doesn't. and I Disagree. . .

Psychic is a really poor choice compared to something actually super effective against Ground types.

Palossand could just fire away shadow balls at Raichu. And if Raichu is escaping by floating away, it could run away from ground moves as an electric type anyway, since Raichu’s speed is unaffected by Alolan form.

I just think they decided to shove in an anime reference and just went ‘we don’t know’ on the logic side.

Isn't this argument a little silly when you consider that the Pichu line and the Sandygast line don't even share an habitat?

Bulbapedia's Sandygast locations said:
Hano Beach

Bulbapedia's Pichu locations said:
Route 1, Hau'oli City (SM only)

Bulbapedia's Pikachu locations said:
Route 1, Hau'oli City (SOS Battle) (SM only)

Yes, regional variance should become a mainstay imo, but my heart tells me that it won't. GF is always introducing cool new gimmicks like this only to drop it next gen so they can hype it up for the future remakes (cf: contests).

However, the idea of giving old Pokemon new forms is as old as Pokemon itself, so whilst I don't think we'll see Galar regional variants, I do think we will see new forms of old Pokemon in the Galar region that is related to whatever Gen 8's gimmick is e.g. Arcanine "Armoured Form", Mewtwo "Armoured Form", etc.

Yes, regional variance should become a mainstay imo, but my heart tells me that it won't. GF is always introducing cool new gimmicks like this only to drop it next gen so they can hype it up for the future remakes (cf: contests).

However, the idea of giving old Pokemon new forms is as old as Pokemon itself, so whilst I don't think we'll see Galar regional variants, I do think we will see new forms of old Pokemon in the Galar region that is related to whatever Gen 8's gimmick is e.g. Arcanine "Armoured Form", Mewtwo "Armoured Form", etc.
Armored Mewtwo is (almost) confirmed to be in the game already. They found a trademark that applies for videogames.

I just started watching the Sun & Moon anime a few weeks ago, and I noticed in the episode I watched yesterday, Ash teased the idea of regional variance occuring in other regions. So maybe I was wrong and there will be Galar regional variants ...

I just started watching the Sun & Moon anime a few weeks ago, and I noticed in the episode I watched yesterday, Ash teased the idea of regional variance occuring in other regions. So maybe I was wrong and there will be Galar regional variants ...
Well, regional variance was first shown on the Orange Islands arc, which is why people started asking for them in the first place, although if I recall correctly the fans thought at the time they would only be simple palette swaps. Now that I think about it, I wonder if the anime had the power it has now at that time the regional variants would have appeared in the games earlier.

I Sure hope so. . . Why ELSE would they be called regional varients if they weren't gonna be in future regions? If they really WERE planning on ditching them after alola; they should've justed called them alola forms. . .

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom