• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
Well with Galarian variants being confirmed, I think it’s safe to say that this will be a series mainstay going forward and I’m here for it!
I Mean; It DOES Make sense for them to keep it; not only to add more Lore & also connect the Pokemon world to the Real-Life Animal Adaptations that exist in Real Life, where certain Species have changed in order to Adapt to their environments. . .

I'm All For it becoming a Series Mainstay after Alola & Galar!!

Yeah, probably jumping the gun to assume that they're a "mainstay" now. Frankly, not much in this series is, beyond the core mechanics.

They are a mainstain as long as they can give the majority of the forms to Kanto mons.

Yeah, I like them, it means we get some interesting new spins on classic designs - I love Alolan Vulpix and Marowak. Plus it seems like we'll get a really silly one each gen too, with Alolan Exeggutor and Galarian Weezing. I'd like to see them adapt some designs from species later than Gen 1, too.

Regional variants are a tacky gimmick that render the original versions of certain Pokemon totally frivolous.
Actually no. The regional variants aren’t outright more powerful than the original counterparts, or are intrusive to their niche. If you need a fast arena trapper you won’t use Alolan Dugtrio over the regular one. Alolan Ninetales doesn’t intrude on Ninetales' niche. If you need a fire type you go with the Kanto form, and if you want an ice type you go with the Alolan form.
The originals are still as useful as before due to their different types, abilities and stat distributions.

They're not something that I see the point of existing since they're just old Pokemon with a cosmetic change and a new type or two. GF could just as easily make new original Pokemon instead of recycling old designs.

Didn't they have different stats or something? I'm not really into that part of the game so I don't know.

Why not just create new Pokémon? After Galar, the National Dex would be in the four digits. They can't hold a three digit dex for much longer.

I highly doubt that Sword & Shield will introduce over 150 new Pokemon. That's just ridiculous.
I mean the next regions after Galar. Generation 9 could get us into the thousands. If not, then Generation X would definately be over a thousand. The only way to avoid getting four digits is to stop introducing new Pokémon, which the fanbase would not like.

I’m kinda on the fence about regional forms.

On the one hand, they’re a cool mechanic and it’s rather interesting to see how GameFreak redesigns old Pokémon. Regional variant evolutions are also pretty cool too. On the other hand, I would rather have a new Pokémon than an old one with a different form. I honestly prefer regional forms be used almost exclusively in remakes/“Ultra” versions in order to A) open up space for new Pokémon to be made and B) to freshen up the regional ‘dex (ex: Sinnoh form Whimsicott in DPPt remakes).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom