• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should the Sequel to Dual Versions be remade?

Should the Sequel to Dual Versions be remade?

• Defiantly!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

clubchloe1

Reaction score
A random question I came up with: Should the Sequel to Dual version be remade? I want to know people's opinions on this, and by "Dual Versions", I mean: Black and White, Red and Blue, Ruby and Sapphire, Gold and Silver, and Diamond and Pearl, and by Sequel I mean: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and Black and White 2.

I think the term you're looking for is "third version". And i consider Black & White 2 as completely separate games to Black & White

I think the term you're looking for is "third version". And i consider Black & White 2 as completely separate games to Black & White

I said Sequel because Black and White 2, so yes, its a Sequel. Because the events that happens in Black and White 2 is events that happened 3 years after the events of BW.

Well, so far, the only third version that I want remade is Emerald. I don't know whats all the hype about Ruby and Sapphire being remade.

Do what they did with Crystal in HGSS- add the extra subplot from the third version. (although Emerald is a toughie to add within Ruby and Sapphire)

Well, so far, the only third version that I want remade is Emerald.

Me too, I want to see Hoenn rendered with 3D, and having a Global Terminal too (When I first played Pokemon Emerald, I started to miss the GTS and Global Terminal), but I still like the Graphics of the Gen III games also. But here's something I noticed with Remakes of games in every Generation they debuted in:

In Gen III, the reason why Kanto got remakes was mostly for the Johto Pokemon people wanted to get, and that was because Gen III games are completely incompatible with Gen II games because they overhauled many of the Data structure's of Pokemon, but the main thing I noticed is that Gen I's Remakes was in Gen III, 2 Gen's after its debut.

And then comes along the Johto Remakes, which that came 2 Gen's after the original game first came out, so what I am saying there is a Pattern here: A new Gen comes, and the Game in the Gen before it doesn't get remakes because it just happened, but the Games that debuted 2 Gen's before it get's remakes, and in Gen V, it is 2 Gen's after Gen III, so I'm just thinking of the Pattern that will continue with Gen V, where Gen III will get remakes.

Did anyone else notice this pattern?

To be honest, they kind of are. The remakes of a primary pair adds some aspects of the third version into them (such as Eusine and the extra Suicune focus being in HGSS, but not GS).

But otherwise, no. I don't want [X]Ruby, [Y]Sapphire and [Z]Emerald - too much. In fact, I don't even want any more remakes to be honest, I want original games. Port Ruby and Sapphire to the 3DS' e-shop instead.

You're mixing up "sequels" and "third versions".

A proper sequel, is a game that follows up the events of a previous game. Sequels are Black and White 2 (obviously) and Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold and Soul Silver (to RGBYFRLG)

What we call "third version", is an enchanced version of the same game. It is, by its own definition, NOT a sequel, as it doesn't follow up the events of the game because it IS the game.

So what you are REALLY asking, is whether to remake the original paired versions, or the updated version. Technically, the updates of the updated third version pretty much carry over to the remake anyway, but it is true that they being themed after the original version does cause substantial differences. (See: Crystal)
But remaking that when the pair has been already been remade is kind of silly, as updating a remake, even if to theme it after the changes of the update, is... kind of ridiculous, I'd think.

I'd like if they never made "third versions" again anyway and actually started a trend of doing the sequels thing.

At this point, it might be better to stop calling them sequels, and focus on simply having new adventures in old regions. The difference is that the former has an emphasis on continuing the plot, while the second is more general. While B2/W2 are awesome, and it's great to see some more resolution to the plot of B/W, I'm kind of annoyed at the fact that you need a basic sort of understanding of B/W to get a full appreciation of B2/W2.

Sequels are a step in the right direction, but I want a completely fresh take on each region.

Sequels are a step in the right direction, but I want a completely fresh take on each region.

Yeah, I like that idea better.

But I do want Crystal remade for some reason, I guess its because even though the game is not that different to Gold and Silver, I want to be able to catch Ho-Oh and Lugia in the same game, and Crystal has a better plot than G/S in my opinion.

Yeah, I like that idea better.

But I do want Crystal remade for some reason, I guess its because even though the game is not that different to Gold and Silver, I want to be able to catch Ho-Oh and Lugia in the same game, and Crystal has a better plot than G/S in my opinion.

Have you even played HeartGold or SoulSilver? They are both incredibly similar to Crystal

Did anyone else notice this pattern?

I'm pretty sure just about everyone has.

Both Ho-oh and Lugia are available in the remakes with the other version's bird found after the league. Really if you just want Ho-oh and Lugia in the same game you can catch them both in Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen if you ever get your hands on the event item to access Navel Rock.

The Crystal plotline is basically present in the remakes except for a few mythology details.

If they remade BW, then BW2 would probably have to be made, just because of the cliff hanger when N leaves and such.

I would rather see Emerald and Platinum being remade (way down the line for Platinum, of course) rather than Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl. I just think the third versions are so much better and we really don't need the paired remakes.

What I would really love is to see Emerald/Yellow remade around the same time to be a different take on paired games.

No, I don't think so. For a remake of the third version/sequel/whatever-shit-you-may-want-to-call-it, remakes of the other versions will have been made first, and I think those already accomplish what we could possibly want in a remake of a sequel. Storyline advancement, better interface, new features, whatever. A remake of a sequel seems redundant to me.

I want Yellow remade really badly, does anyone else?

That would be some sort of exception, since it's anime-inspired. So yeah, you're not alone. I'd really like that too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really thought for a while that they would. I remember after FRLG came out everyone was expecting ElectricYellow, when it never came, I thought they would do it in another 10 years, so they'd have another reason to remake Kanto.

I guess it won't happen now, at the moment, not even sure if we will get RSEmakes although the evidence is building and building!

No, because generally remakes are closer to the third version anyway (HGSS follows the plot of Crystal and if remakes of RS come out they will probably follow the plot of Emerald). Third versions, with the exception of Yellow, are supposed to be a more complete version of the original storyline, so it makes sense for it to be that way. There'd be no point in remaking Crystal when HGSS already follows that story...

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom