• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should there be a Pokemon live action movie?

boabiol

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was thinking, should pokemon have a REAL-LIFE action movie. I mean a movie with real actors, not voice-overs to animated characters. Personally I think the concept and idea would be cool :) But at the same time I don't want it to suffer the same fate as The Last Airbender the movie. So what are all your opinions? Should there be a REAL-LIFE action movie for pokemon? And also should it follow the story of the anime, manga, or games? Please comment below.

If they keep the pokemon in the anime format then give it the green light

Well, it depends on who's making it and how it's done, though I personally think the Pokemon franchise is more appropriate for a CGI movie than a live action one.

ahem.... guys lets think now look at draonball evolution i think pokemon is fine without a live action movie

I didn't bother to read more than the first three posts. It's such a dumb concept, I think personally, to have a live-action Pokemon movie. Pokemon is in anime to respect the creativity of it- if you had a live action version, it would make the entire franchise, "this is what this has to look like, this is how this is." The reason so much of Pokemon is left in mystery is for the player to interpret it on their own. Pokemon franchise is merely a base- the fanbase is the true life of Pokemon. It is up to the player, again, to decide what Pokemon is- not some movie director.

I didn't bother to read more than the first three posts. It's such a dumb concept, I think personally, to have a live-action Pokemon movie. Pokemon is in anime to respect the creativity of it- if you had a live action version, it would make the entire franchise, "this is what this has to look like, this is how this is." The reason so much of Pokemon is left in mystery is for the player to interpret it on their own. Pokemon franchise is merely a base- the fanbase is the true life of Pokemon. It is up to the player, again, to decide what Pokemon is- not some movie director.

Why would a live-action movie decide how things in the franchise had to be any more than the anime or the many manga adaptations do? Not that I'm saying it's a good idea, I just want to know how you came to that conclusion.

Pokemon is fine without a live-action movie, as this franchise has creatures based on or resembles living things or objects. The CGI movie could be better, and critisms and controversies for a live action movie adaption could spoil Pokemon's image. Look at 1994 Mario Bros movie. The movie received too many negative reviews, and these spoiled Mario franchise's image at that time. Despite this, Mario franchise is still Nintendo's most successful franchise till today. If talking about this, why not talk about a live-action movie adaption of F-Zero franchise or Bayonetta games instead?

I have never understood why people would even want to watch a live action Pokemon movie in the first place. What's so appealing about seeing "real" versions of the characters and pokemon?

ahem.... guys lets think now look at draonball evolution i think pokemon is fine without a live action movie

Not to mention all the other LA versions of anime/cartoons/videos games... :uhoh:

And while it COULD happen, it really SHOULDN'T

I am so glad I wasn't the only person to think "Dragon ball".
But, while I agree with everyone that a live action would be a terrible abomination to the name of pokemon, what if it was Advent Children Like Cg?
Pretty, yet still stylized characters, and great, and ungimmicky, looking creatures.
I mean they already do decent pokemon cg, just update a bit more, and I think this could work.
What do you guys think?

I would watch it if one was made, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it much / would find it quite cringey. I just can't see how it would work, to be honest.

While chances of it sucking would be pretty good, It could work in the right hands, I just hope it doesn't get stupid overloaded CGI and too much 3D effects.

CG movies would be far better IMO, makes me think of the Resident Evil CG films (Degeneration and Damnation) while the Live-Action RE movies suck hardcore in the story and characters department, the CG movies (Damnation in particular) have a nice blend of those and action, without the monsters seeming too gimnicky.

Remember what happened the last time a Nintendo franchise gotten a movie adaption?

super-mario-bros-movie-poster-1993-1020235102.jpg

Attachments

• super-mario-bros-movie-poster-1993-1020235102.jpg
    super-mario-bros-movie-poster-1993-1020235102.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,365
I would watch it if one was made, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it much / would find it quite cringey. I just can't see how it would work, to be honest.

Oh I would watch the math out of it!
Lol, but yeah it would most probably come out epically cringe worthy.

SMB wasn't a terrible movie (not a great one, either), it just wasn't a very good Mario movie (commercially, they should have gotten the cast from the TV show back and done an animated film-at worst they would have lost less money that way)-though I still consider it an interesting take on the franchise.

A short (under 10 mins) LA Pokemon "movie" might be ok, but feature-length? No way.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom