• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should there be alternate type versions of Stealth Rock?

UnovaCastaway

I poke your snoot
Reaction score
The alternate weather thread got me thinking about it, but do you think future generations should introduce entry hazards similar to Stealth Rock in other types?

I know Smogon loves this move for the metagame, but what wrinkles would other type entry hazards add? Some people think that the metagame overdosing Stealth Rock is too discriminatory against Pokemon weak to Rock, so would other moves keep battlers on their toes?

On the other hand, a sufficient variety of typed entry hazards might help dilute Stealth Rock's ubiquity, particularly if these alternate hazards are as accessible as Stealth Rock itself was. So long as you can only have one typed entry hazard at a time, it's not too crazy. Stealth Rock is broken because it's the only one of its kind; alternatives give more options, and reduces its impact.

I just think that they should make it easier to set up Spikes...

My biggest gripe with Stealth Rock isn't the typing thing, but the potential damage it can deal just for a single turn of set-up (a whopping 25% of your HP for being weak to rock, 50% for double weakness). In my opinion, the risk/reward is pretty unbalanced here. However, I think if the damage were nerfed to be on par with 2x and 3x spikes (for single, and double weaknesses respectively), and put a hard limit on entry hazards that can be in play at the same time, then I'd be fine with a few more hazard types.

I think Stealth Rock was introduced in the first place due to Flying Types having an immunity to Spikes/Toxic Spikes. This way, they get hit a little harder from Stealth Rock as compensation. I don't think the rest of the type effectiveness is needed though, and it's a bit unfair for some random fire type that can get hurt by all 3, or just any Fire/Flying or Bug/Flying Pokemon. 50% damage on switch in is just too OP.

Hmm, it would be interesting. People would then select the one which counters the mons which cripple their teams. For example, if Salamence wreaks havoc over your team, just add "Stealth Ice". I wouldn't want too many though. Beating stall is already pretty tough the way it is.

I am not going to lie, but no matter what type of stealth rock game freak would have introduced, people would still be complaining that its broken. Stealth Ice? Fan reaction: "Oh the dragons are now screwed!! I hate gf!" Stealth Fighting? "Oh, gf screwed dark types.", etc, etc.

I'd love a few more where you could only have one of them up at a time. For example, "Hot Coals" as a Fire-type version and "Stalactite" as an Ice-type version. This would make players choose which is most valuable to their team, but may have the knock on effect of one of them being way more popular than the other and result in the same issue that SR apparantly causes.

At the same time I think there should be more ways of removing hazards.

Yeah, I think we should have type variations on Stealth Rock. I know it would probably make the metagame harder, but you could also argue that it would produce more creative players, and therefore a more interesting competitive battling experience in general. Besides, I think if all the types of stealth rock were released, so that practically everyone was using it, the people would quickly find ways around it. And Nintendo have said in the past that they look at the current metagame and release features in future games to shake it up, so I don't think it would really cause problems in the long run.

I'd love a few more where you could only have one of them up at a time. For example, "Hot Coals" as a Fire-type version and "Stalactite" as an Ice-type version. This would make players choose which is most valuable to their team, but may have the knock on effect of one of them being way more popular than the other and result in the same issue that SR apparantly causes.

Adding to that, I also thought about an Electric eviqulent to go along with Hot Coal and Stalactite, called Thunder Spikes (might get a better name), thus making them the elemental hazard entries since we have elemental fangs, elemental punches, and elemental beams. And what I've noticed is that both Fire, Ice, Electric, and Rock are seen as great offensive types yet the Pokemon of those types are rarely seen in the standard metagame.

Well, honestly, I don't think we need more. The move already ticks a few people off as it is, and I find it pretty useless with all the entry hazards we already have. Although I few would obviously benefit from it. Not like me, no way.

I find Stealth Rocks really annoying as it is an adding more hazards would make the metagame centralize around them so that we would just end up with games of hazard and Rapid Spin ping pong.

Like Takaki said, you don't want to have to continually use Rapid Spin to get rid of the entry hazards, or have to spend your time setting up the entry hazards. It makes battling dull and useless. Stealth Rock is already dangerous enough as it is, plus adding Spikes and Toxic Spikes on top of that can just be extremely irritating.

My first instinct is to say no, because the metagame then becomes all about defending against the entry hazards.

At the same time I think there should be more ways of removing hazards.

That would be interesting, and it would make Defog's removal of hazards on the opponent's side actually useful- you could clear stuff you had already set up so you could put down a different type. It might also be worth it to have hazards wear off after a certain amount of turns (with a held item to extent the duration of the holder's hazards).

You could also reprogram stealth rock so it only delivers double damage to flying types and typing is otherwise ignored, if you just want it to make up for the immunity to spikes.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom