• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should there be Stealth Rock Variations?

Should there be multityped Stealth Rock variations?

• Yes

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Maybe (please specify)

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters
A paralyzing entry hazard.. i don't think there's any way to introduce something like that with some sort of balance in mind.

By setting up a single entry hazard you could potentially slow down your opponents team and reduce their attacks by paralyzing them.

With a potential burn entry hazard you wouldn't affect special attackers, but paralyzing entry sounds like a horrible idea.

I don't think they should have a variation of SR that is good against a large variety of types. Bug, Psychic or Steel maybe. And it shouldn't be able to stack with another Stealth move. That would be way too unfair.
soulsheart said:
Stealth rock is a horrible move.
How so? It can cripple some of the deadliest Pokés out there.

An Ice type stealth rock... that is ONLY available to Ice types.
With how somewhat broken that'd be, the Ice type would be saved from being overshadowed by Water! (and would kick Garchomp out of Uber)
Unfortunately that makes Water better, but at least having an Ice type isn't useless.

Though perhaps another kind of trap would work better. Like, a move that freezes any non-ice pokemon that switches in once.

Other elemental Stealth Rock... they'd work pretty good regardless and I say it'd balance the game in most cases.

And make certain Types and combinations completely useless again? No thanks. The worst idea ever.

If they ever add another broken Move of the same kind as Stealth Rock, I hope they at least have an unblockable Type Rapid Spin variant, or other more widespread ways to deal with this shit that don't suck so hard.

I like the idea of the Ice type variation, but it does need to be limited. Maybe not ALL Ice types, but certain ones. And a better way to remove the traps would be great. Rapid Spin is terrible and everybody hate Defog.

defog doesn't even De-trap.
it de-traps the ENEMY team. wtf?

Oops, beaten to the punch. But yeah... I think another aspect that makes Stealth Rock ridiculous is that you don't need to set up more than one layer to mess shit up. At least Spikes takes some kind of luck, planning and lastability to set up 3 layers and cause max damage. With Stealth Rock it's a cheap "use it once and kill anything coming in". Basically punishment for using anything weak to Rock.

Honestly, I like the concept of the Move in itself, but not the execution or the over-the-top damage input.

it really pisses me off that GameFreak couldn't even consider at least nerfing this damn move once generation 5 hit. Oh sure, they removed its status as a TM and reduced it to being naturally learned by a very select number of Rock-type Pokemon, but that doesn't mean shit when so many Pokemon are legally capable of using the move due to transfer from generation 4. What really sucks about SR is that the Pokemon it hurt worst were Pokemon that most people were already putting down harshly just because of their 4x weakness (which is especially sad when you consider that the physical/special split and a better selection of moves should've finally redeemed most Bug/Flyings).

But you know, so long as they managed to extend it to every other type (or at least most other types), and limit them to a select set of Pokemon rather than making it available all over the place via a TM, I wouldn't mind the idea of more variants. It would make things more fair and evened out, and it's not exactly senseless (honestly, who thought that ROCKS should float in the air and home in on opponents? Yeah, that's perfectly logical... at least if they were Grass vines or Steel missiles, I could see what they were getting at). They shouldn't overlap, of course (one set of type-based traps on each side of the field at a time), and they should probably go away after a certain number of turns, but so long as Rock (and any other types that completely screw over Fire, Flying, Rock, and Ice) isn't exclusively hoarding such a cheap tactic, that should be fine. Also, they need to change how Rapid Spin works. Have it so its secondary effect still takes place whether or not the opponent is immune (to begin with, Ghosts are immune to Normal on the logic of plain physical elements going through them, but shouldn't that be all the more reason for Rapid Spin to wipe out hazards on the field?), I really doubt that should be hard to program.

I love Stealth Rock, and Spikes/Toxic Spikes. Entry hazards are awesome, and it's fun to win a battle with minimal effort. :'D -bricked-

Ice and Grass variations of SR are what I'd like to see. D: If there was a grass SR, a lot of water-type Pokemon would finally be put in THEIR place as well. No more bloody Vaporeon or Swampert messing with me!

And if there was an Ice SR, I'd love to see Derponite get knocked down to NU along with the overrated Charizard. Sadly, that would bring Garchomp and Salamence with him, but hey, can't win them all.

No , just no .

Stealth Rock renders Charizard ,Ho-oh , Moltres , Yanmega and Volcarona unusable .

An Ice type variable would put Garchomp overusage to rest

Maybe, I believe that a few could be O.K, but giving a stealth rock clone for every type in the game would destroy it.

^^ completely missing the point...

and NO, SR is already as screwed as it could be...

but a grass or bug variant wouldn't be such a bad idea, given that both types are already downplayed enough...

Baring the ideal solution, (getting rid of SR completly) I think variations would be preferable to just Stealth Rock. Gives more strategy too it. Rather than just plonk down SR, you'll have to put some thought into which variation you want to use. Plus, it means cartain Pokes *cough* Charizard *cough* might actually have a chance in the meta game because SR would be garunteed to be in play.

We need an Ability where, when the Pokémon with it is sent out, it doesn't take damage from Stealth Rock, and moves it to the opponent's side =3

Other than that, only a Fire or Grass-type SR would make me happy.

We need an Ability where, when the Pokémon with it is sent out, it doesn't take damage from Stealth Rock, and moves it to the opponent's side =3

There are already Abilities like that: Magic Guard ignores Stealth Rock damage, while Magic Bounce reflects it in the same way Magic Coat would.

Oh god, think about it: Magma Rock (Fire type variant)- goodbye Scizor. Entry Fist (Fighting type variant)- lol Tyranitar. Wind Storm (Flying type variant)- Heracross would be even worse. I don`t think I even have to explan the impact an Ice type variant would have. Stealth Rock is enough.

Baring the ideal solution, (getting rid of SR completly) I think variations would be preferable to just Stealth Rock. Gives more strategy too it. Rather than just plonk down SR, you'll have to put some thought into which variation you want to use. Plus, it means cartain Pokes *cough* Charizard *cough* might actually have a chance in the meta game because SR would be garunteed to be in play.

the thing being, as that if variations were made, only a few variations would be used.
If you had a choice between Poison, Electric, or Fighting stealth rocks, you'd pick fighting, because that ruins the other guy's day the most.
If it were limited to a few select types, namely Electric, Bug, and maby Fire, to make it an actual..choice, instead of just plonking down the one that's going to do the most damage.

and even then, i don't think it'd be a good idea, but that'd be better than just having rocks and having one set of pokemon be screwed, To have it a mix between 3 or 4 being screwed, and the others safe.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom