• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should there be Stealth Rock Variations?

Should there be multityped Stealth Rock variations?

• Yes

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Maybe (please specify)

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters
Oh god, think about it: Magma Rock (Fire type variant)- goodbye Scizor. Entry Fist (Fighting type variant)- lol Tyranitar. Wind Storm (Flying type variant)- Heracross would be even worse. I don`t think I even have to explan the impact an Ice type variant would have. Stealth Rock is enough.

But consider the possibilities of an entry hazard which could actually put an end to the abuse of bulky waters.:ching:

But consider the possibilities of an entry hazard which could actually put an end to the abuse of bulky waters.:ching:

But should we wreck the meta just so we can stop the use of bulky water-types? I'd prefer not to.

no. thats exatly what's wrong with SR. it ruins certain pokemon.

Yeah, and some good pokemon that would be great in battle if it weren't for SR.

yea, i like spikes, i like Entery Hazards, they're essential,without them the metagame would just be a series of tactical switch outs. There's one major differance between spikes and sr though, SR hits by type. While spikes didn't care if you were dark, or fire, or bug,or fighting, it would allways do the same damage to anything that doesn't fly.
SR doesnt. SR rapes fire types, flying types, ice and bug types, and puts ground,steel and fighting onto a pedestal they wouldn't be on if not for SR. Not to mention the double weaknesses.

yea, i like spikes, i like Entery Hazards, they're essential,without them the metagame would just be a series of tactical switch outs. There's one major differance between spikes and sr though, SR hits by type. While spikes didn't care if you were dark, or fire, or bug,or fighting, it would allways do the same damage to anything that doesn't fly.
SR doesnt. SR rapes fire types, flying types, ice and bug types, and puts ground,steel and fighting onto a pedestal they wouldn't be on if not for SR. Not to mention the double weaknesses.

If they took SR and made it into something like toxic spikes for rock types, would that be better?

No , just no .

Stealth Rock renders Charizard ,Ho-oh , Moltres , Yanmega and Volcarona unusable .

An Ice type variable would put Garchomp overusage to rest

why say "no" to that? And really, there's a huge difference in that fact that Gabrias is a friggin' uber, whereas Pokemon like Lizardon and Bug/Flying-types were barely used (competitively speaking) to start with, only to get screwed even further and practically reduced to NU status.

No. I would rather Stealth Rock be eliminated completely.

which isn't gonna happen, of course. GameFreak has never removed an attack from the games thus far, and the list of moves has even managed to become fully integrated in the spin-off Mystery Dungeon series (though, that was more ChunSoft than GameFreak). The same could be said of abilities, as well as the Pokemon themselves.

the thing being, as that if variations were made, only a few variations would be used.
If you had a choice between Poison, Electric, or Fighting stealth rocks, you'd pick fighting, because that ruins the other guy's day the most.
If it were limited to a few select types, namely Electric, Bug, and maby Fire, to make it an actual..choice, instead of just plonking down the one that's going to do the most damage.

and even then, i don't think it'd be a good idea, but that'd be better than just having rocks and having one set of pokemon be screwed, To have it a mix between 3 or 4 being screwed, and the others safe.

even if some types are popular than others, which Pokemon actually get the moves should play a factor in whether competitive battlers will actually use them or not. One of Stealth Rock's major problems was that it was a TM move that could be taught to a very wide variety of Pokemon. It'd make a huge difference if the field moves were given to a limited range of Pokemon, especially if the Pokemon with the move all shared common weaknesses that made people have to actually consider whether or not they'd want it on their team. For instance, a Stealth Grass, despite having quite a few noteworthy advantages, might not see a lot of usage if it were exclusive to the slow glass cannon, Noctus, which is liable to die before setting it up lest Trick Room were in play.... on the other hand, if Stealth Water were exclusive to the speedy but otherwise crappy Lovecus, that Pokemon might see a considerable upsurge in usage.

I can't believe anyone thinks this would be a good idea. It would just further centralize the metagame. There would be a tremendous focus on any Pokemon that could learn these type based hazards or spin them away, and Pokemon that are not weak to them.

meh i still think having rock types break SR upon entry would be a good idea (note: this could work with other types if introduced)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom