• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should TPCI re-dub mewtwo strikes back?

It'd be nice if they finally released the 90 minute version with the World of Pokemon prologue. I have it on tape and to my knowledge that version has never been released on DVD.

Wait... I'm pretty sure you're referring to "Ash's Journey", that short scene explaining how Ash got Pikachu and such narrated by Brock... it was included in the extras of Movie 1's DVD and is also an actual part of movies 4 and 5 (both of these start with it before going into the movie itself, with 5 being this way in the Japanese version too)
So they never aired it as the intro to the movie like 4/5 did but a dub does exist

Wait... I'm pretty sure you're referring to "Ash's Journey", that short scene explaining how Ash got Pikachu and such narrated by Brock... it was included in the extras of Movie 1's DVD and is also an actual part of movies 4 and 5 (both of these start with it before going into the movie itself, with 5 being this way in the Japanese version too)

He's not. The footage in question has never been dubbed, and is not part of movie 4 or 5. You're confusing it with similar material. It's only ever been available on VHS and a few TV airings.

Last edited:
He's not. The footage in question has never been dubbed, and is not part of movie 4 or 5. You're confusing it with similar material. It's only ever been available on VHS and a few TV airings.

Oh... sorry then, I didn't know about that! now I'm curious to see this... but I guess it's unlikely I'll be able to find it

I believe they used footage from that segment in the English dubbed versions of movies 4 and 5 but the entire segment along with the Mew and Mewtwo prologues has never been released in full. The longest cut of the English version includes said prologues but is only available on the Japanese DVD. Man they made this complicated. This is one instance where it's both the production people, the Japanese distributors, and the U.S. distributors fault all at the same time because they reissued so many versions of the first movie in Japan.

I believe they used footage from that segment in the English dubbed versions of movies 4 and 5 but the entire segment along with the Mew and Mewtwo prologues has never been released in full. The longest cut of the English version includes said prologues but is only available on the Japanese DVD.

4Kids used footage from this segment to produce a 2 minutes long American-made segment originally included on the DVD to the first movie, and later slapped onto the beginning of their dub of movie 4. OLM then later used footage from the segment for the 1 minute World of Pokemon introduction to movie 5. The actual original, 5 minute long segment from the full version of movie 1 has never been released on DVD anywhere in the world, and has never been dubbed into English.

Absolutely not: if their dub of the main anime is any indication of their style of dubbing (which I'm not fond of), I frankly do not want to hear inferior voice-overs placed over superior voice-overs with unfitting voices for the principal characters replacing fitting voices for them, I do not want to hear "o'course/kay/ya see/ya know/*insert TPCi radism*" coming out of Ash's mouth script writing wise (compared to that, the Vikings joke is practically gold in terms of dialogue), Team Rocket speaking in alliterations and assonance almost the entire film and hearing Meowth say "Dig it, jack/lugs/my aching mug," or the phrase "Primo Pokémon" coming out of James or Jessie's mouths, and anything as horrific as what TPCi composed for the XY Remix for an Opening Theme-- this is 4Kids' weakest dub of anything Pokémon related sans Chronicles, but that's still much better than what I imagine TPCi would do when placed in a similar situation.

If this was FUNimation or the people that dubbed The Origin into English from SDI Media, however, THEN I would not mind a redub at all.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom