• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should TPCI re-dub mewtwo strikes back?

Kool-aid man

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I heard the story in the Japanese version was completely different from the US version so should TPCI re-dub the first movie to give us a proper english translation?

They should Redub everything even the stuff that they did dub so the voices would sound better.

I don't really see the point. The amount of people who want a retranslated story are probably in the minority, and I'm pretty sure there's a subtitled version out there for those types of people.

short of that they should at least splice in the Japanese background music into the 4Kids dub

I don't see why they would do that. It's clearly being aired to try and bring back the old fans who watched season 1, same thing with bringing back "Gotta Catch 'Em All" and using the original theme's lyrics in that trailer. The people they are targeting grew up with 4Kids version, not the Japanese version.

That's not to say I'm opposed to it. Them re-dubbing it doesn't erase my copy, it wouldn't affect me.

They could but they really shouldn't. For one it would be expensive for them to redub something like that and for two, it is very likely to offend fans of the original, despite those who complain about the plot. There would need to be a massive fan movement for it.

For one it would be expensive for them to redub something like that

I can't imagine it'd be any more expensive than dubbing any other movie.

it is very likely to offend fans of the original, despite those who complain about the plot
The original would still exist (just as the original Japanese version wasn't erased by the creation of the 4kids dub), so I don't see the big issue.

I don't see the point, they should focus on the current dubbing.

I can't imagine it'd be any more expensive than dubbing any other movie.

Still, there'd be too little gain from TPCI's point of view for doing this.

I think the amount of people who dislike the dub for this Pokemon movie is much larger than with every other Pokemon movie, but TPCI would still need a bunch of people who...

- dislike the 4Kids dub
- want a redub instead of just being satisfied with the Japanese version (Personally, I'd want to have a legal release of the Japanese version with official subtitles, not that I'm expecting that)
- would enjoy the way it's redubbed
- and would get access to the redub legally.

Meeting that first one is already a big issue since the group of people isn't big compared to the people who are fine with the dub.

While I'd like to say yes they should, I know they won't redub it. It's far too late for that, and anyway, like others have said here, they should focus on the X/Y dub. That's like asking them to redub the whole entire first eight seasons--this never happened, either.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why should they? Isn't the 4Kids version good enough? All TPCi would do is mess it up and ruin everyone's childhood.

I also agree with Sweenix.

It would be interesting to see a re-dubbing of it, so that we could see what it would have been like much closer to the Japanese version. I'd be interested to see what it would have been like. Though I doubt they ever will, with how much time has passed and how long it would take to fully re-dub it.

TPCi's version would be no better. Also, I read your comparison, and this is what I have to say:

Brother, My Brother is a good track, and it fit the situation, too.
The Lazy Boy No Chew Stew was funny.
I liked the Minnesota Vikings joke, it used actual wit, something that would be lost in a TPCi redub. I don't think just anyone could have come up with that.
All of the songs used in the credits are good.
The fighting is wrong moral wasn't executed properly, but it is a good basic message for the movie.
As for the others pointed out, I agree with some, and think the rest are nitpicking.

Last edited:
No. It's been 14 years and the audience for the animé is considerably smaller that it was back then. Heck, I stopped watching the show when the Johto arc ended. The only reason I can see wanting to redub it is to make Mewtwo's character the way he was in the Japanese version, rather than the Dr. No-like supervillain 4Kids portrayed him as.

I don't mind if they redub it or not considering I already have the 4kids version on DVD. It's not like the 4kids dub will disappear if a redub happened. It'd be like how DBZ had multiple dubs.

I would be curious to see how a redub would work but it doesn't really bother me either way. If a redub happened I'd probably buy it and add it as a addition to what I already have.=)

TPCi's version would be no better. Also, I read your comparison, and this is what I have to say:

Brother, My Brother is a good track, and it fit the situation, too.
The Lazy Boy No Chew Stew was funny.
I liked the Minnesota Vikings joke, it used actual wit, something that would be lost in a TPCi redub. I don't think just anyone could have come up with that.
All of the songs used in the credits are good.
The fighting is wrong moral wasn't executed properly, but it is a good basic message for the movie.
As for the others pointed out, I agree with some, and think the rest are nitpicking.

I enjoy the 4kids movie too. It was fun to watch every now and then with good memories to it.=)
Personally all I would like is for the 4kids version to be re-released in widescreen on DVD.

I honestly do not get the Minnesota Vikings joke. Didn't understand it back then when it aired in theatre and don't understand it now. Is it some American only joke or something? =/

Last edited:

Are you joking here? I mean I laughed at that when I was a kid in the theater, but it's a stupid joke. It's not witty, it's literally just a random reference to a "real-world American thing". It's the type of joke they probably just put in to get a cheap laugh out of the adults dragged to the film by their kids.

I mean it doesn't destroy the movie or anything, but it being lost wouldn't be some horrid detraction either.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom