• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should TPCI re-dub mewtwo strikes back?

Now that I've seen the commercial, I only wonder one thing: Will the Kids WB, Nintendo and 4Kids logos be restored, or will the movie begin with the Pikachu the Movie logo (Either the current one or the one that was already in the movie)? Same with the English opening credits and title screens.
That's a good question. Kids' WB is now defunct, but they did help produce the dub for the movie.

If I had to guess, I would say all the logos will be restored since on the new Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs (Distributed by New Video Group and 4K Media Inc.), the 4Kids logo was still intact in the credits even though they had sold the rights of the franchise .

True, but I'm partially basing my question on Warner Bros' possible involvement in a new video release. Either they could just be distributing a new probably barebones DVD under the Viz label, or they could basically make a whole new DVD, let alone Blu-ray, with pretty much all the special features from the other DVD, but earlier this year I asked someone on Warner Archive's Facebook about a possible Blu-ray of the movie, and the response said that their rights to the movie have expired, so it'll probably just be a new Viz DVD.

A minor request, but I sure hope that they play the whole credits at the end (in HD!) and don't just uber fast forward while they stuff CN ads instead. Of course they've been doing that for years now and I don't expect it to change, but here's my big fat "OBJECTION!" before the sad inevitable.

Maybe, but "more faithful" does not automatically mean "good".
However, "more faithful" does mean "more respect" the original work enough to not touch it to the point where it's unnecessary. It's like someone scribbling all over your drawings. At least in comparison to 4Kids if they ever do re-dub the movie some day, faithfully.

I mean, I do understand a lot of the dislike for TPCi. I actually don't like them much either. I mean, I would personally love it if another company that's like FUNi (with talented English voice actors, and always includes Japanese audio) would re-dub the original Kanto saga + the first movie faithfully with everything intact, because I know TPCi would screw some of the earlier stuff up. There's a reason why most anime companies do their dubs faithfully nowadays. It's a shame that Pokemon hasn't stepped up the plate by making English versions of the Japanese openings/endings at the very least, like the example linked.

Last edited:
Another thing I wonder about; Why didn't Pokemon in Japan step in and stop 4Kids from changing too much? This was the first ever theatrical movie in an environment where Pokemon was EVERYWHERE, surely the Japanese company were overseeing the entire production in America as well. I feel like they share some blame too, and that could be either positive or negative depending on how you view it.

4Kids had to make the necessary edits to meet regulations? Why would the people in Japan stop 4Kids from doing what they hired 4Kids to do?

My guess is there's a retail release planned, and it's a matter of how many copies to make, and the ratings will likely inform that.

My guess is there's a retail release planned, and it's a matter of how many copies to make, and the ratings will likely inform that.

How so?
Let me put it this way.

If the enough people watch the movie and it's reflected as such in the ratings, it would help TPCi see there is still interest in the movie and a DVD release could possibly be planned.

Last edited:

How so?
Let me it it this way.

If the enough people watch the movie and it's reflected as such in the ratings, it would help TPCi see there is still interest in the movie and a DVD release could possibly be planned.

That's true, but considering that the movie is on at 8:30 am, I'm not sure that many more than younger kids will watch it that early (not that that won't help the ratings). I myself am still deciding.

How so?
Let me it it this way.

That's true, but considering that the movie is on at 8:30 am, I'm not sure that many more than younger kids will watch it that early (not that that won't help the ratings). I myself am still deciding.

DVR recordings also count towards the ratings of programs in most cases. So even if people just DVRd the movie, those are still ratings that will be taken into consideration by TPCI I'd imagine.

How so?
Let me it it this way.

DVR recordings also count towards the ratings of programs in most cases. So even if people just DVRd the movie, those are still ratings that will be taken into consideration by TPCI I'd imagine.

Hmm. "Well, maybe we'll see." -Ash

A promo was released for "Mewtwo: Prologue to Awakening":
[video=youtube;haU5gcj8ESY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU5gcj8ESY[/video]

I think the prologue will be counted as a Season 16 episode and will be released on the last DVD set of Season 16.

A promo was released for "Mewtwo: Prologue to Awakening":
[video=youtube;haU5gcj8ESY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU5gcj8ESY[/video]

I think the prologue will be counted as a Season 16 episode and will be released on the last DVD set of Season 16.

I think you need reminding that this is a discussion about a hypothetical TCPi re-dub, not a hub for general Mewtwo news/speculation. You can create a new thread if you want to speculate about the dub's handling of "Mewtwo Prologue to Awakening" - this one has already been dragged off-course enough as it is.

Last edited:
I would love for them to properly re-dub the movie with accurate translations BUT I still want the original voice actors from 4Kids to lend their voice-overs....I just can't stand the TCPI voices with the original characters (Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Max, etc....)

To answer a previous question, Warner Bros.'s logo did appear in the credits.

357hxu1.png

PokémonJesus said:
I would love for them to properly re-dub the movie with accurate translations BUT I still want the original voice actors from 4Kids to lend their voice-overs....I just can't stand the TCPI voices with the original characters (Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Max, etc....)

Not really sure how that's possible considering two of the main voice actors from the movie (Mewtwo's and Meowth's) left us many years ago.

They would have to keep Meowth's lines and hire Dan Green to do Mewtwo again. Unfortunately if they were to fix Pokemon name errors, Meowth would still be saying Sandshrew instead of Sandslash, and his conversation with his clone would still be the altered dub version (not that I minded or anything). I could see them getting a bit closer to the original if they REALLY wanted and it would be cool (assuming all other voices are the same) but again, its kind of more trouble than its worth. Fun to imagine though.

Another thing I wonder about; Why didn't Pokemon in Japan step in and stop 4Kids from changing too much? This was the first ever theatrical movie in an environment where Pokemon was EVERYWHERE, surely the Japanese company were overseeing the entire production in America as well. I feel like they share some blame too, and that could be either positive or negative depending on how you view it.

Pokemon makers in Japan likely just figured that 4Kids, being in America, knew how to better appeal to American kids than Japan did and that whatever changes 4Kids made were fine. Not that I agree with every change 4Kids made, but if that's the mindset Japan had, I think that makes sense. (Although that mindset might've been involved also with the heavily edited One Piece dub that 4Kids did.)

Also, as mentioned on this page, the movie had also gotten edits to its art and animation in an attempt to make the movie look better. It was meant "exclusively for the American release" according to that quote in the middle, although Japan exclusively uses this new version of the movie too. So those edits in art and animation were other ways that the movie was changed from the original Japanese version.

Meowstic said:
4Kids had to make the necessary edits to meet regulations? Why would the people in Japan stop 4Kids from doing what they hired 4Kids to do?

What do you mean by regulations, though? It's one thing for 4Kids to do something like get rid of a pun that doesn't work in English, but it's another thing to edit the movie by doing something like making a joke about the Minnesota Vikings when the original line apparently didn't have a joke/pun. The way you wrote it, it seemed like every edit 4Kids made to the movie was follow certain rules that 4Kids couldn't change.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom