• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shouldn't Ash be like a world renowned Superstar by know?

Shouldn't Ash be like a world renowned Superstar by know?

• Yes

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Why (do you vote this option?)

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
You know, since the series started Ash did many things and I black out the movies. He helped to make world moving discoveries, helped many people, met many legendary Pokémon, helped stopping evil organizations and saved whole regions, not to mention participated in many tournaments. How is it possible not to get famous like that. At some point someone just has to get interested and digs some so he would learn about it. Then again, it always was a group of small children. Of course this gives bad reputation to the police so they might want to cover all.

What are you opinions about this?

Have a nice day.

Cynthia and Lance know of him at least. But he never won a league so he's still a nobody.

I agree that, to some extent, Ash should be recognised by some other trainers (and he has been, for example Max at the start of AG) but I'm not sure he'd be particularly well-known in Unova. I know embarrassingly little about Eastern celebrities, though I don't know if this is reciprocated in the other direction (do people in China, Japan etc. know all about Western celebrities?). That said, he has already done several things in Unova including getting to the final of the club battle tournament and not to mention being the star of The Legend of the Pokemon Knight (perhaps it was hyperbole by the narrator that it was a 'blockbuster hit').

I'm gonna give non in-show reasons as I think they've been overlooked a little.

The first is that Satoshi is meant to resemble each PC and of course, they're not famous when they travel around because they're new guys and this is reflected by him. That and news stories from Kanto might not necessarily make it to Sinnoh or more importantly Isshu, which is stated to be really far away.

The story isn't really about Satoshi being famous and oogled over; it's about his adventures with Pokémon. It would be pretty weird to see paparazzi following him around in generic forest #142 when he's simply trying to train a Pokémon. It would take off too much focus in my opinion.

From a more personal point of view, I'd hate it. Everytime Satoshi loses or makes a silly mistake they'd be lots of "Satoshi is world famous yet he makes such a stupid mistake! That's silly writing!". It would go to some fans' heads.

I agree that, to some extent, Ash should be recognised by some other trainers (and he has been, for example Max at the start of AG) but I'm not sure he'd be particularly well-known in Unova. I know embarrassingly little about Eastern celebrities, though I don't know if this is reciprocated in the other direction (do people in China, Japan etc. know all about Western celebrities?).

Depends on international exposure. If I were to stop some random person on the street here in Norway, it's far more likely he'd know who Akira Kurosawa is than that he'd be able to name a single American football player.

That said, he has already done several things in Unova including getting to the final of the club battle tournament and not to mention being the star of The Legend of the Pokemon Knight (perhaps it was hyperbole by the narrator that it was a 'blockbuster hit').

I don't think the narrator said that.

Nah, I'd rather they not portray him as famous. He'd be too good at Pokemon then. I can understand them wanting to use him to reteach important lessons in Pokemon in each series. They just need to find a good balance; not too genius, but not too stupid.

Not really. He has been in 4 regional tournaments. Now a region is like a state and yet he has not one a single one. People that don't win state tournaments are not really known by people in the long run. Now he did win the OI and the BF but the thing about Ash is he does not brag. The only time I remember anyone knowing him was Max.

That said, he has already done several things in Unova including getting to the final of the club battle tournament and not to mention being the star of The Legend of the Pokemon Knight (perhaps it was hyperbole by the narrator that it was a 'blockbuster hit').

I don't think the narrator said that.

I was misremembering it slightly, but the gist is somewhat the same (if not so large as blockbuster): "Receiving rave reviews, The Legend of the Pokemon Knight has made our heroes a huge box-office success! But not to worry, our heroes' Unova region journey continues!"

There's the World Tournament Junior Cup coming along. Maybe Ash will be a SuperStar after it =P. Though, I honestly hope that it doesn't happen if he's going to go to more regions since it would get boring and old fast with the fangirls paparazzi stalking him =P.

Regarding Luke's movie becoming a blockbuster, that was only an added English dub line. The Japanese narrator doesn't say anything about it becoming a blockbuster. He just said that it was praised.

Regarding Luke's movie becoming a blockbuster, that was only an added English dub line. The Japanese narrator doesn't say anything about it becoming a blockbuster. He just said that it was praised.

I feared that would be the case (as it always seems to be when lines are odd). I really need to improve my Japanese so I can learn what is canon...

There's the World Tournament Junior Cup coming along. Maybe Ash will be a SuperStar after it =P. Though, I honestly hope that it doesn't happen if he's going to go to more regions since it would get boring and old fast with the fangirls paparazzi stalking him =P.

I'd actually like a filler arc where he has fan girls following him, his reaction to that would be pricelessXD I really am hopping Ash gets far in this tournament, he should be known in this region after that right? Don Tournaments are understandable, they seem like just small little things with a bunch of unknowns in it but this has pros in it too come on.

Has everyone forgotten that Max knew Ash because he was in the Silver Conference? I think that's the closest to fame he's ever going to get, since no such mention has ever been made again, and even then, Max derided him for not making it all the way.

Ash should be a famous trainer!
May be people will start to acknowledge him if he wins the World Tournament Junior Cup!
I don't know Why Writer think Ash winning a Major Individual Tournament is some kind of Taboo???
Its pain me that Drew , May & Dawn are already get treated like a Superstar While Ash get treated like Nobody!

I don't know Why Writer think Ash winning a Major Individual Tournament is some kind of Taboo???

It would be boring if Ash just sweeps the whole thing. A well earned win or a very close loss is always better. As for the question, it kinda depends on the region. In Kanto, he's pretty well known there but Unova is a different story.

No, because in Pokemon, you're always a loser (unless you actually win a league).

A little recap of Satoshi's accomplishments were given when he faced Heath at the Battle Frontier, remember?

I think the writers would probably see something like "Satoshi being a world-famous Pokemon Trainer" as one more thing to have to keep track of. They might bring it up whenever they feel like it (Masato knowing about the Jouto League, Heath, etc.) but as a series-wide thing? I don't think the writers could be bothered.

I don't think it would make sense also I think that battle dome thing was done via quick internet search not fame. There are hundreds of people in the single elimination parts of each tournament (except Johto) so it seems hard to keep tract of all of them the reason why the battle dome people knew or searched is because it's their job. The trainers in each tournament change every time because a lot them are new, retired or at different regions so there doesn't seem to be a point in remembering them if they are forgotten next year. Maybe he would be recognized in his home nation (Kanto, Johto Hoenn and Sinnoh) since he did every region in country right after each other but that is assuming it is common practice to watch all leagues in country. But given that there is problably lots of Trainer young trainers who mantain placement higher then 32 the media could bug everyone of them.

Not to mention you have to take into account how small each region is.

Well if he passes on the opportunity to catch a legendary Pokemon. OR bringing his old Pokemon like Infernape, Torterra, Charizard etc. to the Junior Cup. Nope he will still remain the under dog he is.

I'm glad they don't portray him as famous. He is just one trainer of many, certainly he isn't the only trainer to go on journeys and compete in Leagues in more than one region. Any trainer could befriend champions and gym leaders in the same circumstance, this is just his story and his adventure. There are probably loads of other trainers out there helping in other ways and making discoveries out there in the anime-verse world, we just don't get to see them because this is Satoshi's story :3

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom