• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Show too long?

PokeDot517

Reaction score
If I'm correct the show has been running for the past 16 or 17 years and that's great and all but...I dunno the show seems a bit stale.

Ash Ketchum is still 10 yet has been on a journey for 16/17 years trying to achieve his dream (Pokémon Master) and it seems like it's like a never ending journey. Plus character development seems to be nonexistent since Ash seems to forget things he's learned in previous regions and Pikachu seems to reset back to lv 5 each new region. The writers still have fresh ideas...kinda but most episodes nowadays seems the same with formulaic plots.

I think I heard that as long as theres a continuous flow of main series Pokémon games they will continue to create an anime adaptation which is a clear signal saying that the show will never end.

An alternative could be to just end Ash's story and bring a whole new cast of characters including a new protagonist which actually sounds better.

I do indeed still enjoy watching the anime very much but all stories have to end eventually and I'm just wondering when Ash's story will end too. =)

Last edited:
Yeah... they can continue the story and make Ash's son/daugther start a new journey.

Maybe one day...

That would be a good change if that happens.....then we would see that son/daughter go through the regions Ash has been through and perhaps catch Pokemon that Ash didn't catch and probably catch some of the ones he had caught before.

Unless the show decides to start with a new fresh trainer instead of that way.

I'm still hoping that TPTB catch wind of and decide to go with my idea--that Ash wins a league championship and then continues his journey as the mentor to a new trainer who does the badge-collecting. That could shake things up enough to make the show interesting again. Especially when it comes to characterization. Maybe Ash won't keep getting reset anymore.

The reason I want 2nd generation is because people who grew up with ash and early pokemon now reach age to get married and have children.

I really like idea to play pokemon games with my child and at that time, anime show Ash have his own child and start 2nd generation journey.

So maybe in next main story (around 4 years from now) or next-next (around 8 years from now).

Each series ends after two or three years, with each preceding series becoming essentially null and void for the current series (for the most part). As such, 'the show' isn't quite so 'too long' as one would think. :wink:

I don't think Satoshi winning a league would necessarily require the end of his story, either. There is always someone stronger than him, so even if he did start getting leagues under his belt it doesn't mean he can lose against a new, older trainer. Satoshi isn't the only person who can improve, too, after all.

Would love to see a reboot, but they'd need to figure out someway to still have Pikachu as the main Pokemon star because it's iconic.

Not too long, but too long without anything of note happening. Unfortunately, Ash and Pikachu seem to be stuck in a repetitive timewarp and are getting nowhere. If time elapsed during the show, and characters aged and developed, I'm sure it'd be much more interesting and have a strong following.

I don't think that Ash winning a League would make him a Pokemon Master. Doing so would allow him to go to the Champion League to face an Elite 4 group and defeating the Champion is apparently part of becoming a Pokemon Master, but not the only part to his goal. We've seen characters win tournaments before and still go travel to train in other regions, so I imagine that it would be the same for Ash if he ever did win one.

Each series only last a few years and there are currently four completed series with the fifth series currently airing. It's not exactly one big series, but a group of different series. As for the idea of retiring Ash, they clearly aren't interested in doing that. There's too much brand recognition, for the anime at least, with Ash and Pikachu being the main stars, and Ash's child being the new star doesn't sound like it would fit within the show either. Besides that, they've had plenty of chances for replacing Ash, but they haven't and after being the main character for so many years, I think that we're well past the point of replacing Ash regardless.

I have the theory that Ash was supposed to become champion in DP, and that his character was either going to be put in a bus, or at least would become a supporter in BW. BW was supposed to have a new child character, in a place faraway from the other 4 Japanese-based regions. For some reason, it was decided that Ash would remain as the main character for BW, but the personality traits of the new character were already fully developed and the writers didn't wanted to throw them away, so they used them on Ash, and that's why his character had a "reset". Either is that, or his lose to Tobias heavily screwed his mind.

I don't really mind the long run of the show. Sazae-san has been on air since 1969 so...
What I don't like is that character development has practically become futile, since the anime apparently showcases some sort of Neverland where nobody ages a single month after meeting Ash Reginald Ketchum. If the anime will keep ongoing, characters MUST be allowed to grow up in order to keep it more fluid. Some rotation between characters could help. If they really, really want to keep Mr. Ketchum, they should allow him to grow up at least a year. Back in DP, I used to have the assumption that Ash aged one year per series, and as such I thought he would be already 14 or so when he went to Unova, since his age hadn't been mentioned since the very first episode. And I'm sure a lot of people used to think the same way as me. Seriously, I personally felt that being told that Ash was STILL 10 when BW began was like a big "fuck you" from the producers. That's why I think that Ash wasn't supposed to be in BW.

Finally, the producers, directors, writers, etc. should also cater more towards the periphery demographic like they did in OS. Maybe not transforming the show into a full-blown Shonen, but at least into something that can be watched by both the young and the old.

I MUCH preferred Pokemon the Origins and even that small trailer for Pokemon White/Black 2. I just really want a game based Anime with a slight twist. Not saying they should cut the current anime but it's been going on for too long and to no avail.
Ash may have a different goal but him staying the same is just so boring, I like how Team Rocket are at the moment but I don't want them out of the anime, just to stop chasing Pikachu because nearly each episode being Team Rocket messing things up and that is REALLY annoying.

So for me either a reboot that satisfies all or just more of a focus on other Pokemon animes.

I'm actually not dissapointed in the new Kalos season.

They have good stories, nice twists, possible shippings, vibe of 'pokemon early seasons', nice characters development *except weirdly Ash, I think they just add Ash as the 'link' from season before and actually more focusing on Kalos' character and sometimes totally make fool of him. His character in Kalos swicth on-off from his early childish character to 'more mature' after B/W character.*

I just wondering if Calem will ever show up. I actually really hope there will all both main characters in the game on series and not just the female. But I know they not used to do that so I won't set my hope high.

I generally don't think the show are too long after Kalos but I felt like that in seasons between Kalos and RSE.

Last edited:
I'd like for Ash to get better and older. Make him 16, make him win a few competitions, make Pikachu NOT lose to a newborn starter. I don't mind Ash, Pikachu and the TRio as long as the TRio gets more evil and skilled (like they did in Unova) and Ash and Pikachu evolve. I mean, we've only gotten bits and pieces of Ash's history, despite the show running for twice as long as he's been alive (3rd movie gave us background, we got info from the Gary fight and the Pokéball half, and the Serena backstory).

The show needs more character development. Only time we got that was when Brock decided to become a doctor instead of a breeder.

I know a lot of people who say that it should've stopped after one season, and I find that I can't argue with them too well anymore. It really has been the same thing in every saga, at least at it's core. I will not deny every saga had it's own identity, but it was still built around a central core of ideas. I cannot really say that it's outlived it's welcome, since for a lot of people that happened ages ago, but also, there is the matter that it's sort of become like Power Rangers in that we know it's the same thing over and over, but yet, it's still popular after so many years. Pokemon has made it's mark so well that I don't believe that anything is going to keep it from being talked about for years to come. What HAS happened, though, is that I think a lot of us have realized that this is not for us anymore. Once you've seen one saga, you've seen them all. Nothing is going to change about this show at all. Not in the next saga, nor in any saga after it. I watched this show for an inordinately long time myself, and now, I can't, for the life of me, remember why. You can perhaps argue that up until the end of DP, that at least some progress was made. Each saga kept building up what Ash was capable of, until reaching DP's climax. XY is at least taking battles seriously again, but I have realized that I have seen everything that the anime is ever going to do already. This was my cue to leave. I just can't find a reason anymore. The anime can last until I die for all I care, but it will do so without me.

The show is first and foremost a marketing tool, with everything else coming second. As such, it will continue with some tweaks here and there as long as Pokemon games are made. It isn't like One Piece or Bakuman, with a clear beginning, middle, and end. In a lot of ways the Pokemon anime is similar to old American TV shows (like G1 Transformers or He-Man), meant to advertise a product with plot advancement or concrete storytelling a negligible concern.

I know its been a long while since someone posted in this thread but i found this topic interesting wanting to give my 2 cents on it.

Is pokemon show too long? Depends on individual level of enjoyment and intrigue he still receives from some anime. To some pokemon anime is still fresh and exciting as it was since day one not wanting it end anytime soon. There are also people which occasionally take glimpse of what are novelties concerning games or anime, or if some older character or pokemon from their childhood comes back(like Charizard for example).

And there are also fans which grew tired of pokemon anime just wanting to see it end altogether. Either completely or replacing Ash with new male lead.

Objectively speaking any anime going on for more than decade and half can be considered long running, defnitely above average. And in series like this where advertizing and subjecting shows quality or storyline to games takes precedence, there is only so much which can be done to avoid repetitiveness. Staleness and status quo with no significant progress made forward.

Having pretty shallow plot, scarce history and shortage of emotion put into development of characters and aspect of journey making it look like hard work, effort and experience means nnothing in end if it never leads you anywhere. Accompanied with fact of tedious formula of replacing one companion after another like they are disposable trash with their own interest, stories, influence left on pokemon plot, popularity and Ash growth ending ignored like they ever existed in first place.
But thats beside the point and in case pokemon show ever approaches toward end with Ash storyline i think new anime adaptations should not be made.

I feel Pokemon as anime had pretty good run and i would rather prefer if writers preserve some of dignity it kept about itself finishing it on good note, rather than continuing endlessly with new protagonists in form of alternate series going through same, basic formulaic growth we have been stuck within for last 15 years. Investing and put more effort in current driving force going through more substantial development having him(Ash)live to his full potential.

Instead of replacing Ash and everything this show stood for i would rather want to conclude pokemon series when that day finally comes with Ash storyline,some sort of big finale for which last season is dedicated. Reuniting his past companions(like May, Misty, Brock, Clemont etc)giving them special arcs for each one to tie up their loose ends and give fans chance to see them in prominent role for one last time with no new remakes made.
Which would only in my opinion take away from finality and significance act of Ash and his companions after more than decade getting finale, closure would provide tarnishing brand this show build around itself after so much time.

We can notice with other anime like Beyblade, Yugioh or Digimon which constantly change main protagonists creating alternate anime versions how sometime its better to stop in time leaving people to remember something in good light, rather than dragging of with some series for longer than needed until they milk it to the bone resulting in decrease of reputation and creation of bad image around itself alienating audience from it.
Considering how aforementioned examples aren't even shadow of their former series experiencing large drop of ratings with people losing interest for it.

From what i seen and talked about most felt how writers of such series should have just let anime finish on good note after first series or second came to an end, instead of prolonging it off with new main characters which were viewed as "copy cats" of previous anime leads destroying image and credibility this series used to hold around themselves.

Last edited:
1) Yeah, maybe it might have been better if the anime stopped after Johto. And just only do movies from the Third Generation and onwards - which Ash would be the Kanto-Johto Champion.

2) Or, actually show some progress with Ash and a couple of key characters. The Goldenrod Tower episode shows that being Best 16 and above is something that aspiring trainers look up to, so why not make an excuse plot showing Oak asking Ash to accompany a new trainer for AG/DP, instead of re-introducing Brock? That should buy time until DP, and Ash could be spared the embarrassment of making noob mistakes. Have a mini-arc where Ash rechallenge the league in HGSS. Have Ash be a Kanto E4 candidate, and an entrant for the PWT for the BW arc, who is visiting Unova as a league delegate. Have him be an assistant for Lance and Looker vs Team Flare in XY, in addition to beating Lorelei and Koga before the adventure starts. And when the inevitable second Kanto remake/sequel returns in a future generation, have Ash finally battle Lance, and be the champion.

3) Do a bit of 1) and 2), and just only air the anime for a year after the games are released. If the anime is a marketing tool, then why does it have to go endlessly, when it could just go for shorter lengths of time each? Use that time to introduce better arcs, characters progress etc. If Ash is 10 and a rookie trainer for the release of RBY, then he could be 11 and be a more experienced trainer for the release of GSC. And so on...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom