• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Side Quest Discussion

I want the contests from Gen III
The Pokéathlon
The Musicals (bu with some sort of reward for doing them)
The Movie-making thing, I never tried it, but it seems lots of fun

I don't think we'll get all of these, but you know what I really liked? The quests from Shadows of Almia, You'd get a pretty useful reward most of the time, and some were pretty lenghty too.

A new "musical" mini-game allowing players to construct their own melodies, perhaps in a manner similar to the Mario Paint music-maker, utilizing in-game sound effects, or possibly Pokemon Cries, would also be pretty neat and interesting to see what the fans could do with it.

Like, a Kricketune Dubstep remix.

I just thought of the glories we can with a Pokefrance, and its name is Pokechef. Basically its cooking mama but having you cook with your Pokemon. You would also be given a water type and fire type to help you cook, and do basic things like heating up foods or slowly grilling them, and you would gain trophies for your foods. It could work like contests, except it would utilize the new bonding feature, in which the more you are connected with your Pokemon, the higher rating your food gets. You even have a rank depending on your trophies, and eventually you become a 5 star Pokechef.

I'd like to see something like exploring an optional territory and you get to explore more of it as you progress in the game, like the abandoned ship in RSE. I'd definitly like to see secret bases or the underground, that was a lot of fun. Since it didn't look like pokemon could follow you around based on the trailer of pokemon XY, I want something like Amity Square back. Looking at this thread, I just realized that Gen 5 was missing the safari. I was wondering why I had the feeling that Gen 5 didn't feel 'complete', although I don't usually go to safaris.
This is not a sidequest, but I want to see something like pokeblocks or poffins back. I like feeding my pokemon treats =)

I'd like it if the game corner to come back except instead of using coins to play Pokémon themed slot machines, roulette, or other luck based games in hopes of payout, using them to play games like Pokémon pinball, Pokémon Puzzle League, and Pokémon Snap where you get a payout based on the score you get from your skill at the game.
It be cool if contests to come back also, since they where fun and challenging in a different way than battles.
Finally, it would be awesome if the safari zone came back, and was based off of the parts of Africa that were French colonies.

If they bring back a Game Corner, I could see them making minigames like the Dream World or Neopets where you win coins/currency without actually gambling. Voltorb Flip was tough as it was, and a little variety wouldn't hurt.

I expect something like Pokémon Musical or PokéStar Studios will be unlocked. Don't mind about Game Corners (even in RSE-remakes, the Mauville Game Corner will be replaced with PokéStar Studios instead of Voltorb flips)

I would love them to revamp the contests, especially if they were more like the anime. I like Sinnoh's contests way more than the musical because there was a dancing part, similar to the musical, but you could actually influence it yourself. And doing a music with a pokemon that doesn't have arms is utterly pointless. Or hopefully they'll come up with something new, that beats all other side-things.

There have been some side quests (finding lostelle in berry forest, etc.) and I would like to see more quests where someone asks you to defeat/find a trainer/pokemon. In return they give you an item or some cash. If they keep churning these out, I won't mind. Maybe an unlimited amount so that you can keep helping people.

Pokemon Carnival.
Early in the game, there's a closed circus tent. There are fences keeping you from going beyond the tent.
Later on in the game, the tent is now open and you can pay some money to enter the Pokemon Carnival, with games based on popular carnival games, but with a Pokemon take on it. For example, a Ring Toss game could be so you could toss rings on Seel and Dewgong. Dewgong would get you extra points.
A shoot-the-target game would be shooting with either a squirt gun (Water) a leaf blower like object that shoots leaves and flowers (Grass) and a flamethrower (Fire). These would be designed after Pokemon. You would be shooting targets of Water, Grass, and Fire-type Pokemon. It would take one hit to take down Fire-types, two hits for Water, and three for Grass. The levels would add more types later on, to test your type knowledge.

Pokemon Arcade.
There's an unfinished arcade in the big city of the region (Castelia, Goldenrod, etc.) that gradually gets built as you progress in your game.
Post-game, the arcade opens. It's a high-tech arcade, with unique systems. You can play games based on all of the spinoff games, like Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Colosseum, Hey You Pikachu, you name it. Heck, this could even be a full-fledged game. The game could have mini-versions of all the spin-offs, plus preview arcade machines that let you play a mini-version of yet-to-be-released side games as DLC. You get a card right when you enter so you can save all your points to it, and once you get enough points, you can buy TMs, clothing (if there is clothing), and as a prize for getting the "XY" rank on all games* you can get the most awesome prize of all... which I haven't thought of yet.

*Ranks: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, and XY

With how there seems to be somewhat more of a focus on competitive battling nowadays (with how the official guides giving a very brief explanation on how to EV train and whatnot), I'm surprised the main games haven't brought back something similar to Battle CDs from XD. These were pretty fun and it taught me how to do some more complex battling strategies back in 3rd grade.

Speaking of XD, I had a blast with Battle Bingo, but I doubt that would return.

the game corner is gone thanks to HGSS (and I can't see them restoring it any time soon). Safari zone SHOULD be in, but expanded on a little. I also want to see a Disneyland Paris location with some fun minigames akin to the Pokeathalon.

Safari Zone but back to normal. None of this binocular train catching game time limit swamp rubbish. Just a pretty area with Pokemon that can only be caught there.
I think I listed side-quests in this thread ages ago actually XD.

All I wish (and sadly, I know it won't happen) is for the possibility of doing the multiplayer sidequests using the wi-fi, not only local connection. It may work well in Japan (and maybe some other places), but not everywhere.

YES!! I'm not sure if the developers realize that most of us don't live next door to a plethora of other pokemon players. I can only play them at school at lunch time with my friends and when i graduate what will become of me...

Here's my ideas:

-Sidequests sort of in a combination of Pokemon Ranger style quests (or the Celestial Tower sidequest for the couple in Humilau City if you haven't played Ranger) and Funfest Missions. By talking to certain characters, you could activate a mission that would affect the layout, trainers that appear, and maybe even some wild Pokemon as well. Upon completion of the mission, you would be rewarded with money, items, or other goodies. There could also be multiplayer missions and DLC ones.
-Return of 3rd gen style Secret Bases. Ideally, I'd like to see something more to the point where it's more like getting to design your own area with neat puzzles and gimmicks (think along the lines of getting to design your own gym) as opposed to just decorating a room, but that probably won't happen.
-Bring back the Safari Zone and make it HGSS style with the ability to customize the area (although unlike HGSS, you wouldn't have to wait through ridiculous periods of time for certain Pokemon to show up, only like 30 days max or something). Someone on Serebii also suggested putting DW ability Pokemon in such a place, I agree with that idea, it'd be a pretty fair way to make them catchable (you'd need to put in quite a bit of effort to catch them, some of the longer wait periods (about 10-30 days in this case) would make sense, they wouldn't skew the gender ratios to intentionally screw you over looking for DW females).
-Return of the Trick Master. You could complete several puzzles throughout the game, and unlike RSE, you would be able to replay them, maybe even with some challenges (complete the puzzle in under X amount of time, etc.)
-HGSS style Game Corner. It would be full of free to play minigames like Voltorb Flip, and maybe some similar to ones that we've seen through such mediums as Pokemon Stadium/Stadium 2, the Pokepark series, and the DW to earn coins. No stupid luck based mini games like slots and roulettes, I agree with the decision to remove those because those types of games aren't really fair and cost coins to play.
-Expand Join Avenue so it has more of a mall kind of feel to it (that'd be really awesome). Allow for the ability to open multiples of certain types of stores (for instance, you could have 4 Florists so you can get all of the stat raising berries when they all reach Rank 8). Also, add/change the following shops:

-Clothing store: Sells accessories for your character (for the apparent trainer custimization in this game) and your Pokemon (for contests, musicals, etc.)
-Furniture store: Sells Secret Base items
-Bakery: Sells Pokeblocks/Poffins/equivalent items
-Poke Ball Shop: Sells Poke Balls (you start out with the basic ones early on, and you can get some of the more exotic ones at higher levels)
-Split the Market into several different shops:

-Grocery Store: Sells food items such as Fresh Water, Moo Moo Milk, Lava Cookies, etc.
-Pharmacy: Sells standard medicine as Potions, Ethers, Full Heals, Revivies, etc.
-(some kind of battle enhancement shop, I can't think of what to call this one): Sells battle enhancements like X items, HP Up, etc.

-Antique Shop: If there's one thing I'm sick of in Join Avenue, it's that 80% of the time in the Antique Shop, you end up with a useless item like a Hard Stone, a Vendor Trash item that you can only sell for less than what you bought it for (like if you wind up with an Ultra Ball for 1500P or something). They need to tone this down a bit, it's really aggravating.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be something fun. I wasn't too fond of Musicals, but I loved everything previously too, contests, pokeathlon, and especially the PokeStar Studios :3. I'm not creative, but it better use the 3D graphics to a big extent.

I don't even know why I'm thinking of this, they've always been such lame, tedious side quests, but what about a quest that involves a code? They've pretty much had one every game since RSE. Gen III we had Braille... Gen IV we had Unown coding, which shouldn't even be considered a code cuz a kindergartener could figure that one out, and in gen V we had those stupid ruins underwater where the ancient script is automatically decoded for you. How boring. I liked having to work to figure out what it said.

Is anyone else still able to read visual Braille thanks to RSE? It's been years since I played that, and still I can read the Braille underneath room numbers and stairwells at school :/

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom