• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rules Signature Rule Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

evkl

Person-about-Bulba
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

In anticipation of the upgrade to vB4, and to enforce existing rules, we're going to be making a change to our signature policy and (re)enforcing it. You could also say this is a reinforcement of our existing policy.

The first stage of this will take place over the next week. We ask that you remove all spoiler tags from your signature. Additionally, we will be enforcing our rule about signature length. If it's taller than 160 pixels--about ten lines of regular-sized text--it is in violation of signature rules. In addition, the width limit is 575 pixels, and the total file size does not exceed 500kb.

We're giving you a week to allow you to take some time and sort out how your new sig will work. After this week, there will be an additional week where signatures not in compliance receive warnings. After that, we will be infracting people with the standard signature rule violation infraction.

The existing rules of a maximum of one large banner image or six sprites remain. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask me about them.

-evkl and the rest of the BMGf moderator crew

Last edited by a moderator:
The first stage of this will take place over the next week. We ask that you remove all spoiler tags from your signature. Additionally, we will be enforcing our rule about signature length. If it's longer than 160 pixels--about ten lines of regular-sized text--it is in violation of signature rules.

Okay, I'm bit confused now. I thought Archaic had said that we could have atleast 300 px long signatures. :-/

Okay, I'm bit confused now. I thought Archaic had said that we could have atleast 300 px long signatures. :-/

Um I think Evkl meant to say 160px in height...because I don't know how you can measure the width of something with about 10 lines of regular sized text.

Aw, damn. Looks like my sig isn't safe. Guess I have a lot of re-modeling to do.

:zzz: I think that wasn't Archaic's final rule...and seeing as Evkl is a Head-Administrator they probably talked it over since he posted this thread with the updated rules.

Well, my sig is still under the limits, so its okay. But I had thought those were pretty good figures. :-/

Geep.

T-T" *goes to say goodbye to her Volkner, Steven and Red banner*

I would've liked to see the signature size limits rise as well, but no can do. Mine should be okay (granted, it might be a bit over 160px, but the link is only there for the rest of this week).

I think people should really start experimenting with image editing...you have 2 weeks...so take your time I guess.

*going to kill off Volkner in hope of saving red and steven*

Could you please not spam the thread with commentary :/

Please at least leave some feedback, comments, or questions.

Last edited:
So spoilers will be vanished in our signatures but not in posts?

Uhm, again, my signature is ok or there's somethin' to do with it?
And guys, will you post an example image of an exceeding image in signature and that not, thank you!

make it worse, you're good. Keldora, what do you mean by resize? If it allows a fixed-max-size sig we'll go with that.

We're still sorting the pixel limit a bit--apparently the calculation of a ten-line-of-text sig may be off. But for a definitive example, if your sig is bigger than this on your screen, it's not okay:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

There ya go.
(Obviously give or take a few pixels. But you get the idea.)

Uhm, again, my signature is ok or there's somethin' to do with it?
Your sig is 569 x 185 pixels, so it's larger than it should be. If you use the sigimgh (signature image maximum height) tags, it turns to 461x150px, which is still too large. sigimgw (signature image maximum width), however, makes it 400x130px, which works.

If V4 doesn't have the ability resize sigs, I'm pretty sure you (or whoever made your picture) do. It doesn't take a week to go into Photoshop, go to Image Size, then set the width to 400px (and make sure the proportions are constrained).

And guys, will you post an example image of an exceeding image in signature and that not, thank you!
Yours (too large):

dadf.jpg

With sigimgh tags (still too large):

[sigIMGh]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/valfacunla11/dadf.jpg[/sigIMGh]

With sigimgw tags (good):

[sigIMGw]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/valfacunla11/dadf.jpg[/sigIMGw]

In light of evkl's post:

10 lines is 156px. Even then:

Last edited:
Kthleen, you're my hero. That's a great post.

Anyway, as I said--we aren't going to be going into our own image editing programs to zap you if you're at 161 pixels. But that's a good guideline. If you're clearly over it, we're going to be giving warnings starting a week from yesterday.

We don't want this to be draconian, but there are a number of factors in play right now that make us want to do this. First, images behind spoiler tags still load with the page, meaning the users we have on slow connections are getting slammed. Second, even on the newer, high-resolution browsers a handful of sigs take up nearly an entire screen. We wanna crack down on this and limit sigs to a much smaller portion of the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom