• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Similarities between Kanto and Unova

Searing Hot Lasagna

Reaction score
For one, they were the only regional dexes with pokemon only from that region. Secondly, They were the only ones with a full dex of new pokemon. Do you think that Game Freak is starting a pattern? If so, list other examples like this.

The whole point of Black and White was to get a fresh start on Pokemon. All new Pokemon, a new region, new everything (until you beat the game) Giving experienced players the feeling of starting the series all over again, and new players a feeling of starting out like everyone else.

Aside from the dearth of water routes, and the central circle shape, and what you stated, there aren't too many similarities.

A lot of the Pokémon seem to be similar, concept-wise: Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan and Throh/Sawk, Mewtwo and Genesect, etc. But the actual regions? It's actually pretty hard to make comparisons between them.

The Roggerolla evolutionary family are similar to the Geodude evolutionary family and the TImburr evolutionary family is similar to the Machop evolutionary family. Some of each region can also be walked around in a circular route. These circles are Saffron City to Celadon City to Fuchsia City to Lavender town to Saffron City and Nimbasa City to Driftveil City to Mistralton City to Icirrus City to Opelucid City to Lacunosa Town to Undella Town to Black City/ White Forest to Nimbasa City. There are also bridges and a port in both regions.

The existence of a Fire/Lighting/Ice Trio, I guess, could also be a similarity.

Meh, they also have that in Johto as well. I don't think it's a similarity so much as it is a coincidence. Although, granted, it is the same in both games.

I actually suspect that they might follow up and make Gen VI in the pattern of Gen II as well...connected to BW story-wise (there are certainly a lot of loose ends, and they're ones I don't see Gray answering), perhaps even revisiting Unova, and a smaller Dex with evolutions of Unova Pokemon.

The only points you brought up were things you couldn't avoid in Kanto by virtue of being the first games in the series, hardly a comparison >_>

the big ones that come to mind as mentioned above are the evolutionary familes. roggenrola and timburr. as well as throh/sawk.

Roggenrola, Timburr and Tympole reminds me of Geodude, Machop and Poliwag.

There are eight gyms and one Elite Four... oh wait.

Now, seriously, if you count N as a rival, in both games the champion is the rival himself. (at least the first time)

Meh, they also have that in Johto as well. I don't think it's a similarity so much as it is a coincidence. Although, granted, it is the same in both games.

sadly, Johto didnt have this Fire/Lightning/Ice combo bcoz Suicune is of water-type

^^ i think Hurristat meant more conceptually-wise, because even though its a water type, its still 2/3 of the whole set, and both the Water and the Ice Types are commonly associated.

I actually suspect that they might follow up and make Gen VI in the pattern of Gen II as well...connected to BW story-wise (there are certainly a lot of loose ends, and they're ones I don't see Gray answering), perhaps even revisiting Unova, and a smaller Dex with evolutions of Unova Pokemon.

This would be really cool, since its the first region since Johto that isn't an island, so a new region could be connected to Unova. Probably north of it.

This would be really cool, since its the first region since Johto that isn't an island, so a new region could be connected to Unova. Probably north of it.

Uh... Unova isn't on an island. Sure, there is that big island in the center of the region, but still.

Uh... Unova isn't on an island. Sure, there is that big island in the center of the region, but still.

Uh, thats kinda exactly what rbogey said...see the isnt in there? >_>
Anyways, I can see the potential for starting the pattern again, and I wouldnt put it past GF to do it...but I hope to Arceus that they dont. People expect them to follow a pattern, but nothing says they have to. One of these days I hope GF surprises everyone and completely changes the game.
Well, not battle systems and such, but maybe the Gym/E4 system.

Uh, thats kinda exactly what rbogey said...see the isnt in there? >_>
Anyways, I can see the potential for starting the pattern again, and I wouldnt put it past GF to do it...but I hope to Arceus that they dont. People expect them to follow a pattern, but nothing says they have to. One of these days I hope GF surprises everyone and completely changes the game.
Well, not battle systems and such, but maybe the Gym/E4 system.

Eh? Meh bad rbogey. :O

Lately, I've been rushing and not actually reading people's post.. xP

Seriously. Why are we getting off-topic?

The only similarities between Kanto and Unova are what all the regions share; gym leaders, Elite Four, new Pokemon, etc. Like, come on, really.

Having the first town of the game consist of your house, the rivals house and the professors lab? Plus the guy who says "Technology is increible! You can now *insert Gamefreak wireless/wifi upgrade*

They're not alike. Unova is just really far away, so everything starts again.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom