• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Art Gallery Q&A

Re: Simple Q&A Artist Alcove Edition

What should I save my images in? I saved mine in .jpg and .bmp but they got blurred once I saved.

Could I post my pokemon photography in the artist alcove? Or is there somewhere better to post it?

What should I save my images in? I saved mine in .jpg and .bmp but they got blurred once I saved.

I would save as .png for better quality.

:3

Where in AA(Artist Alcove) I post cartoons?

Could I post my pokemon photography in the artist alcove? Or is there somewhere better to post it?

Well... Photography does count as a form of art. So it would be all right for you you post photography here in the Artists' Alcove if you would like to do so.

Where in AA(Artist Alcove) I post cartoons?

Well... the main forum, really. Then again, it also does depend if these cartoons are something made by you or someone else. If it's by you, then by all means, do create a thread for them in the main Artists' Alcove forum. If they're not made by you, then I'm sad to say that you're not allowed to post them at all.

Well, here goes.

I am in a DeviantArt group, at a level one could consider a high level (Contributor status). I asked the current leader of the group if it would alright for me to make a showcase thread for our group on a few Pokemon art forums. He said I could.

But after re-reading the READ BEFORE POSTING thread, I found this
4. NO RIPPING OTHER PEOPLE'S ART

This has been a problem in some places, as well. If you are known to have taken someone's artwork without their permission, the topic in which the offending artwork resides will be edited and locked, and you will be reported to the admins. Even if you "edited" someone else's art without their permission, it is still their art, and you will still be treated as a ripper. If your pictures seem a lot like someone else's pictures (as if you traced them, for example), you will be given a warning, and will probably be watched by the person you may have ripped. Coincidences occur, though, so if someone's art is only somewhat like your art, and you suspect them of ripping you, wait until they've made several supposed violations before reporting it in a Private Message (complete with hyperlinks to the "offenses" and "originals") to me. You may also use this method to report any rips I may have overlooked.

Addendum 5/03/03 [updated 6/11/03]: You may not post a new topic for others' art, even if you aren't claiming that it's yours, and even if you're hyperlinking to some webpage off somewhere. If the artist wants the people here to see their art, they'll post it themselves.

Addendum 6/11/03: You may post a hyperlink to someone else's art webpage, but only if there's a situation in a topic that requires a reply with an example of similar technique, theory, et cetera. Even then, you must give full credit to the artist, and link to their webpage, not an image hosted on their wepage (bandwidth-leeching is bad, mmkay?). People who do this gratuitously and link to the same person's webpage repeatedly will be watched, and if they don't stop, warned and/or reported.

Addendum 1/13/03 [updated 6/11/03]: According to Fair Use laws, you may edit officially sanctioned artwork such as certain anime and manga, and still be okay legal-wise. However, do make sure whatever you're editing falls under the Fair Use laws before editing. Nevertheless, it is frowned (see: very, very, very frowned) upon, and will probably end up being moved to the Signature Club, as it tends to agitate the locals.

Aditional note: Remember, when you are posting your artwork expect to recieve criticism. Please do not go mad or bash any people who are critizicing you because it will result in temporal banning.

Am I allowed to post an art thread with, not only my own art but, art that does not belong to me, but was made for the group and is in its galleries?

It is preferred that you post only your art and your art alone if you're wanting to make a thread anywhere in the Artist's Alcove. The only places that bend the rules slightly are the Artisans' Gallery and the Spriters' Sanctuary as people in the Artisans' Gallery normally use other art or photos and manipulate them in order to fit them in icons, banners, etc. for other people. That, and that the people in the Spriters' Sanctuary edit preexisting sprites and show off how well they can do that -- unless they are skilled enough to scratch their own material or make the attempt to do so.

That really doesn't answer my question.

You say it's preferred that I only post my own art, but am I allowed to post the group's art, as a representative, while also posting my own art from the group?

You can only post your own art. If you want to show people the art in your DA group from others you can just link to the group in general. As long as you don't post other pics than your own in a thread here it's ok to link to your group so people can see their work without you posting it here.

I posted a picture in my art thread, but it came up as a red X in a box. I put the link in correctly, and I uploaded it via Tinypic. What happened?

It could be the BBCode tags. Do you type them in or usually use the message shortcut for them?

If it's not that, then there could be something up with using TinyPic. Personally, I do suggest using either ImageShack or PhotoBucket.

I have a question that I'm not sure I should ask here, but I thought I may as well give it a shot. I was wondering if there were any shops that would make fake pokemon upon request. I have looked through the Artisan's Gallery but haven't seen any. Thanks!

Well, the shops in the Artisans' Gallery consist mainly of things that people are willing to make for people. That type of shop could exist in there, but if no one's made one, it's probably because they're not willing to do so. Most fakemon creations or requests generally include making them from scratch or drawing them. Not a lot of people on the forums are too willing to do that on the basis of either not being able to sprite from scratch or not able to draw (or in the case of some artists that people know can draw, not willing to draw for free).

Can I upload any sort of fan art I drew? Is it okay to draw other stuff, like other anime? Or does it always have to include pokemon? Are cross-overs okay?

Haha, not at all. C: Nothing in the Artists' Alcove are restricted to just Pokémon. So long as you drew it and it's not inappropriate for the forums, then it's totally okay to upload to the Artists' Alcove. Even graphics, such as icons, avatars and banners, are allowed to be posted in your thread.

hi,
i was wondering if owners of shops were allowed to double post in the shops because i do it alot....

hi,
i was wondering if owners of shops were allowed to double post in the shops because i do it alot....

You are allowed to double-post if you are updating the thread with finished requests. Otherwise, no.

I've started a little bit of digital art on gimp. I was considering buying a drawing tablet to make things easier. Does anyone have suggestions about what brand, type, etc. I should buy? And I may wait a while until I get comfortable with drawing in gimp before I buy one.

@Typloterra

I don't know if your question is render irrelevant at this time, as I notice that your question was made back on the 2nd of this month. However, if you are still wondering, I would highly recommend a Wacom tablet. Bamboo, Bamboo FUN, Intuos... those are some of the ones that I know are pretty awesome quality tablets. I have a Bamboo FUN that I have been using for the past four, almost five years, and it still works great. Generally, I would definitely call the Bamboo tablet more of a 'I'm trying digital art now to get a feel for it' tablet, mostly because it's cheaper than an Intuos, and it also starts you off with some of the more basic features of what a tablet can do.

Okay. I'm thinkin' about starting commissions. What are the specifics of this? How does one price things, from sketches (digital/traditional), colored work, and et cetera.
Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom