• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Art Gallery Q&A

Re: Simple Q&A Artist Alcove Edition

@Godo-kun

Commissions are... tricky for each individual person. I can't give you a definitive price at which to start off at. Every artist is different; whether they're different styles, different mediums, different expressions, different anything. In the beginning, you want to start off small, because it's a building block to what will draw people in. Once there's more of a demand for your art (and not from the same person over and over again, mind you), I'd say that it'd be a good time to raise the price just by a bit. I guess I can use my own commission set up as an example. I don't have my stuff ridiculously set at prices that people would be unwilling to buy from (and honestly, I do need to update all the art examples I have on there oTL), and are prices I feel fit the effort I actually put into the work I produce.

Thank you ma'am.

Hi!
I really love drawing and just wish to show my art. I noticed people have their own threads and showcase art for others to enjoy. Can I just start a thread and post art?

Thanks in advance! :3

Hi!
I really love drawing and just wish to show my art. I noticed people have their own threads and showcase art for others to enjoy. Can I just start a thread and post art?

Thanks in advance! :3
Yep, that's all there is to it.

Okay, random question. Where can you find things like this:

body_bg.gif
page_bg.png
body_bg.gif

For those who are going "wtf" these are small background images that you can use in webdesign to form a large expanding, cohesive background image. Notice that if you line them up properly, each image would integrate into a larger image seamlessly. I'm not really sure what this is called (if it even has a name) or where you can get them. I'm just working on some web design and need some images like this.

... I love you. So much. So incredibly much. If you couldn't tell, I am immeasurably happy and grateful. It goes without saying, thank you.

Last edited:

I was wondering, what is this called? Like, the style in which Charizard is outlined/whatever makes it glow. I've been curious on what it is called and how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tutorials give you bonus points and a cookie. Thanks!

I was wondering, what is this called? Like, the style in which Charizard is outlined/whatever makes it glow. I've been curious on what it is called and how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tutorials give you bonus points and a cookie. Thanks!

A lot of art programs have settings to make an outer glow automatically. You can also duplicate the layer and smudge/blur, or just use a low opacity paint brush. Depends on the style you want. Just google outer glows for whatever program you use, or just 'outer glows' in general and you should get several different tutorials with various techniques.

Dumb question!

I've haven't been here in like almost 4 years and the art threads that I had back then were for single pieces and are dead, if I wanted to start just a single one to upstate my stuff in now and not make another thread after that would that be okay or a big no-no? It wasn't exactly clear to me in the rules and I just need a little extra clarification.

Dumb question!

I've haven't been here in like almost 4 years and the art threads that I had back then were for single pieces and are dead, if I wanted to start just a single one to upstate my stuff in now and not make another thread after that would that be okay or a big no-no? It wasn't exactly clear to me in the rules and I just need a little extra clarification.

Sure, if you want to make a single new thread for your stuff, that's totally okay.

Anyone know how I could get my start in drawing fanart? Online software for drawing? Because all I've done are traditional sketches or drawing on paper and uploading it to the internet?

You could continue doing that if you have access to a scanner (edit: derp, you obviously have one if you're uploading to the internet). After that it's just cleaning up the lines and doing further digital work.

If you want to do thing purely digital, I'd suggest a tablet (I personally use a WACOM Bamboo on the rare occasion I draw anymore) and PaintToolSAI, or GIMP if you don't want to deal with trial periods or spend any money.

As far as online (which I'm assuming you mean browser-based) tools for these purposes, pretty much every single one I've come across is complete crap and not worth using.

I notice that most people seem to be using MS Paint or Gimp, but I am a Mac user, so no MS Paint, I can't work very well without being able to edit each pixel individually, so Gimp wouldn't work (unless there is a way to edit each pixel individually that I just couldn't find), and I'm not willing to pay for an image editor, so does anyone know a good free image editor for Mac that you can edit each pixel individually?

@EVs and IVsaurs; You didn't look hard enough (it's not even hidden...). You absolutely can paint pixel by pixel with GIMP, easy-peazy. The pencil tool draws in pixels, with no blur or anti-analyzing, all the way down to a single pixel. Just zoom in and paint.

Last edited:

@EVs and IVsaurs; You didn't look hard enough (it's not even hidden...). You absolutely can paint pixel by pixel with GIMP, easy-peazy. The pencil tool draws in pixels, with no blur or anti-analyzing, all the way down to a single pixel. Just zoom in and paint.

Strange, it had been drawing on about a ten pixel wide circle when I had tried it. Maybe the version I got was wacky or something... It doesn't really matter anymore though, I found an online thing called pixlr that works just like MS paint.

@EVs and IVsaurs; You can make it bigger and smaller, like a regular brush. At it's smallest, it should do 1 pixel.

Another question, I'm starting to do recolors of Pokémon sprites, and I've heard that each color palette for Pokémon had a number assigned to it, so does anybody have a list of palettes used in the games from zero to whatever it stops at?

Hi. I have two-and-a-half questions regarding the gallery. What's the difference between the digital section and the graphic section? Most of the pictures I'm planning on uploading have graphics that aren't mine like the Team Aqua symbol or Sugimori art but also have elements of Microsoft Paint in them - is this allowed? If so, which section (digital or graphic) would they go in?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom