• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I don't understand why so many people say to train a Mega Heracross in speed. Heracross is a naturally slow Pokemon and gets even slower upon mega evolving. So why would speed be good on such a slow Pokemon, like a Mega Heracross?

To help it outspeed Pokemon in its speed tier. You're trying to outspeed more than Pokemonn that are slower than you.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Sp Def / 64 Def
Bold or Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish/Toxic
- Acid Armor

I'm torn over what to do with this set. My goal is to use Vaporeon as a Hydration Wall, but I would also like it to function as a Wish Passer. Scald and Rest are absolutely necessary on this set, but I'm not sure about the final two move slots.

Which of the three moves would I be better off running? Would leaving out Toxic ruin Vaporeon's Walling ability? What EV spread is best and with what nature?

I'm thinking that a Bold Nature would suit the EV spread I listed above, but then again I have little experience with competitive battling in general so I don't know for sure what would work best or not.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold or Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish/Toxic
- Acid Armor

I'm torn over what to do with this set. My goal is to use Vaporeon as a Hydration Wall, but I would also like it to function as a Wish Passer. Scald and Rest are absolutely necessary on this set, but I'm not sure about the final two move slots.

Which of the three moves would I be better off running? Would leaving out Toxic ruin Vaporeon's Walling ability? What EV spread is best and with what nature?

I'm thinking that a Bold Nature would suit the EV spread I listed above, but then again I have little experience with competitive battling in general so I don't know for sure what would work best or not.

What are you trying to wall with that EV spread? I'm pretty sure it's designed to never be 2HKOed by Dark Pulse followed by Draco from standard LO Hydreigon after Rocks, but it needs Calm to boast that so Bold would be a no-go. You'll want Wish, Toxic, and Protect. Rest is useless, Drizzle isn't legal in UU. Besides, Water Absorb lets you wall CroCune, a massive threat in UU.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold or Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish/Toxic
- Acid Armor

What are you trying to wall with that EV spread? I'm pretty sure it's designed to never be 2HKOed by Dark Pulse followed by Draco from standard LO Hydreigon after Rocks, but it needs Calm to boast that so Bold would be a no-go. You'll want Wish, Toxic, and Protect. Rest is useless, Drizzle isn't legal in UU. Besides, Water Absorb lets you wall CroCune, a massive threat in UU.

I do not follow Smogon, so I would be following the VGC format.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold or Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish/Toxic
- Acid Armor

In that case I have no clue, sorry. But afaik Vaporeon isn't very good in VGC, so why not use something like Goodra?

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold or Calm Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish/Toxic
- Acid Armor

In that case I have no clue, sorry. But afaik Vaporeon isn't very good in VGC, so why not use something like Goodra?

Vaporeon's okay in VGC, but using her as a Hydration wall is dependent on so many variables that it generally isn't effective. She's generally suited to more of an offensive support role with Helping Hand, Wish, and Scald. Here's a quick reference set from EggyEmporium:

Vaporeon (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Water Absorb

EVs: 156 HP / 252 Def / 76 SAtk / 20 SDef / 4 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
-Protect
-Wish
-Scald/Muddy Water
-Helping Hand/Ice Beam

The EVs here capitalize on Vaporeon's natural bulk while still allowing her to hit hard with Scald, especially with Rain up. Specifically, Life Orb Brave Bird from Talonflame is only a 3HKO. You can, of course go Bold if you think it's necessary and replace Water Absorb with Hydration if you're sure you can keep consistently keep Rain up. I'd still stay away from Rest since you're already running Wish.

I've got two Spoink, both with a Sassy nature and Thick Fat. They have the following IV ranges:

Spoink #1
HP: 23-29
Att: 0-7
Def: 30-31
SpA: 10-17
SpD: 26-31
Speed: 23-29

Spoink #2:
HP: 23-29
Att: 0-7
Def: 30-31
SpA: 25-31
SpD: 12-18
Speed: 30-31

Which would you say would be better? The latter has much better SpA. and it has Speed that's at least slightly higher, but would the drop in SpD be considered problematic?

I've got two Spoink, both with a Sassy nature and Thick Fat. They have the following IV ranges:

Which would you say would be better? The latter has much better SpA. and it has Speed that's at least slightly higher, but would the drop in SpD be considered problematic?
It would depend on what purpose you're using them for, the first one offers more bulk but weaker offensively compared to the second. Since they both have Sassy natures I'm leaning towards the first one and build a Calm Mind or support set around it. The second feels more suited for a Choice Specs special attacker but would be better if it had a nature that benefited Special Attack.

I'd recommend checking those IVs once you can get a more accurate result, as that might give a better picture. Of course I would ultimately recommend that you use those Spoink as parents and aim for offspring to improve on the IV spread.

Since they both have Sassy natures I'm leaning towards the first one and build a Calm Mind or support set around it. The second feels more suited for a Choice Specs special attacker but would be better if it had a nature that benefited Special Attack.
Of course I would ultimately recommend that you use those Spoink as parents and aim for offspring to improve on the IV spread.

Thanks for the advice. One more question, since I've always been wishy-washy about it personally -- is the general consensus that a nature 'goes to waste' if it's positive toward a stat that a Pokemon has lower IVs in (like the latter's SpD.) or can it serve to buffer out the comparative chink in the armor a bit, so to speak?

As for breeding, I would, but in a little bit of personal vanity, I wanted it in a certain type of Pokeball I can't yet purchase in this file and I'm all out of it unless I were to reset the game and lose the second Spoink. And they're both male, so the ball type won't pass down as it is.

Thanks for the advice. One more question, since I've always been wishy-washy about it personally -- is the general consensus that a nature 'goes to waste' if it's positive toward a stat that a Pokemon has lower IVs in (like the latter's SpD.) or can it serve to buffer out the comparative chink in the armor a bit, so to speak?

As for breeding, I would, but in a little bit of personal vanity, I wanted it in a certain type of Pokeball I can't yet purchase in this file and I'm all out of it unless I were to reset the game and lose the second Spoink. And they're both male, so the ball type won't pass down as it is.
I completely understand preferring a Pokeball type, I sometimes start breeding from scratch if I find one in a ball I like :p

As for your question, I'd say it's a bit of both. While the bonus you get from the nature does help offset the less-than-optimal IVs, it "goes to waste" in the sense that having such a Pokemon means you're getting the whole downside while getting a minimal benefit from the nature, if at all.

As for your question, I'd say it's a bit of both. While the bonus you get from the nature does help offset the less-than-optimal IVs, it "goes to waste" in the sense that having such a Pokemon means you're getting the whole downside while getting a minimal benefit from the nature, if at all.

Ah, very true. Thanks for answering again. :)

Aaaand it just occurred to me that I could transfer them over to my X file and catch a female in the desired Pokeball there. Guess I'll probably wind up sinking a day's worth of time into finding a female, Thick Fat Spoink with an Attack-hindering nature and a high SpA/SpD IV. (Now I remember why I haven't done this in ages :p)

Well if I'm going to do so...does Masuda Method work based on the language tags of the Pokemon or does it function based on the region? My Y file with the male Spoinks has the language set to Japanese, whereas my X is in English.

Well I mean if you're planning to use them competitively neither of those is acceptable. You want a Calm nature and 31/x/31/31/31/31.

Just a quick question on Ditto and Imposter -

If an opponent throws a Ditto in and transforms into the mega evolution I have in play, does this count as a mega evolution for the opponent's team?

E.g. If I pass on a Swords Dance to Mega Aerodactyl, fain the opposing Pokemon, then the opponent throws in an Imposter Ditto and transforms into my boosted Mega Aerodactyl, can they then throw in, for example, a Lucario with it's Mega Stone, and Mega Evolve Lucario?

This then allows the usage of two megas if so.

If an opponent throws a Ditto in and transforms into the mega evolution I have in play, does this count as a mega evolution for the opponent's team?

E.g. If I pass on a Swords Dance to Mega Aerodactyl, fain the opposing Pokemon, then the opponent throws in an Imposter Ditto and transforms into my boosted Mega Aerodactyl, can they then throw in, for example, a Lucario with it's Mega Stone, and Mega Evolve Lucario?

I don't believe that is counts. And it technically doesn't count as two Mega's.

Thanks TerraTF.

This to me seems a bit OP...there's no way to counter this, once you've boosted your Mega and then they throw their Ditto out, all they need to do is outspeed you(maybe a Quick Powder on Ditto?), or even if they equal your Speed then it's a 50/50 chance of you hitting first...and if you don't, you lose your Mega, they have a copy of your Mega to sweep with, plus they have their own Mega still to use..

Thanks TerraTF.

This to me seems a bit OP...there's no way to counter this, once you've boosted your Mega and then they throw their Ditto out, all they need to do is outspeed you(maybe a Quick Powder on Ditto?), or even if they equal your Speed then it's a 50/50 chance of you hitting first...and if you don't, you lose your Mega, they have a copy of your Mega to sweep with, plus they have their own Mega still to use..

Choice Scarf is a thing, just slap that on the Ditto to outspeed.

Also, it's not OP because switching and walls are also things.

Thanks TerraTF.

Choice Scarf is a thing, just slap that on the Ditto to outspeed.

Also, it's not OP because switching and walls are also things.

Hmmm, things...

I'm not using a Ditto, but thanks for the advice, if I use one I'll slap a Choice Scarf on him.

And switching will give his Ditto(transformed into Mega Aerodactyl with Swords Dance) a free hit on my incoming Poke. Even if let it faint and send another Poke in, not many Pokes can outspeed a Jolly 6 x 31 IVs Mega Aerodactyl. And a wall is not going to last very long against it either. Even if somehow it did take the Mega-Ditto-Dactyl down, I'm down by one Mega, and then my opponent can throw in another Mega.

Hmmm, things...

I'm not using a Ditto, but thanks for the advice, if I use one I'll slap a Choice Scarf on him.

And switching will give his Ditto(transformed into Mega Aerodactyl with Swords Dance) a free hit on my incoming Poke. Even if let it faint and send another Poke in, not many Pokes can outspeed a Jolly 6 x 31 IVs Mega Aerodactyl. And a wall is not going to last very long against it either. Even if somehow it did take the Mega-Ditto-Dactyl down, I'm down by one Mega, and then my opponent can throw in another Mega.
Since Choice Scarf locks the transformed Ditto into one move, and you're familiar with what moves your M-Aerodactyl has, you can use that knowledge to predict what move it'll use and make a switch into something that can tank or negate the attack. Ditto's HP does not change when it transforms so you can target that weakness and aim for the KO.

Yeah Ditto can be troublesome but it has weak points, so use those to plan for it when you see one in team preview.

I noticed that in both Wifi battles and in Pokemon Showdown, people have Pokemon use thunderbolt instead of thunder. Why people are using thunderbolt instead of thunder even though thunder has a better chance to paralyze the target and does more damage then thunderbolt?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom