• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I noticed that in both Wifi battles and in Pokemon Showdown, people have Pokemon use thunderbolt instead of thunder. Why people are using thunderbolt instead of thunder even though thunder has a better chance to paralyze the target and does more damage then thunderbolt?

shit for accuracy

Thunder is actually extremely common on rain teams in high level play as they should almost always use Mega Manectric. Of course scarf base 110s, Protect Mega Alakazam, and Thundurus-I beat rain teams easily due to outspeeding their best threats. Gothitelle is also a great way to beat rain teams as he can trap and kill Politoed with Thunderbolt. Rain teams also don't do very well against stall.

I noticed that in both Wifi battles and in Pokemon Showdown, people have Pokemon use thunderbolt instead of thunder. Why people are using thunderbolt instead of thunder even though thunder has a better chance to paralyze the target and does more damage then thunderbolt?

10% chance to Paralyze doesn't make up for the 30% chance to miss. As you continue battling you'll see that a lot of High Level play is risk/reward just about everywhere. Sort of like Fire Blast v. Flamethrower, Blizzard v. Ice Beam, and Surf v. Scald. Each ones has their positives but you'll always see the other. 20 more power and a 10% high chance of burn for a trade off of 15% less accuracy? That's why you see Fire Blast more than Flamethrower. Blizzard is in the same class as Thunder, best in its respective weather. 30% chance to burn for only 10 power less? You'd be dumb not to go with Scald.

All high level play is is trade off and Risk v. Rewards. Take a look at the 1760+ usages on Sweepercalc.com and you'll see a huge difference. M-Charizard X is the most used Mega in all of OU while M-Scizor is resting at the top of the Mega's in 1760+. Top tier OU is almost in a league of its own.

What is the EV spread on the Agility Mega Ampharos set?

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Some how the best Singles set for one of the worst Singles Mega.

I wouldn't say "one of the worst" when it's noticeably better than Houndoom, Absol, Aggron, Blastoise, Banette, and Abomasnow. Banette and Abomasnow are the two where "one of the worst" is an accurate descriptor.

If I want to have a physical Dragonite, what nature and EV spread that it must have? Jolly? Adamant? Max atk and max speed?

Adamant max Atk + Spe

Ok. So Adamant is the best nature for an attacking Dragonite huh? Ok. One more thing, which stats do I must place 4 remaining EVs for the physical Dragonite after it has max attack and speed?

Edit: Forgot to mention to ask the spare remaining EVs.

Last edited:
Heavy Slam sucks.

I see it as the reccommended STAB attack on most bulky Steel types, and I don't see why. It barely does any damage against most mons. It can't even OHKO most Fairy types that I've encountered, even if I have it on friggin' Mega Aggron.

Any recommendations for alternatives? I don't like Iron Tail since it isn't 100% accuracy, so that's out.

Heavy Slam is perfectly serviceable. It hits Clefable, Latios, Latias, Sylveon, and Azumarill harder than Iron Head and that's all you really need it to do. Your job is to pHaze, not deal massive damage.

Heavy Slam is perfectly serviceable. It hits Clefable, Latios, Latias, Sylveon, and Azumarill harder than Iron Head and that's all you really need it to do. Your job is to pHaze, not deal massive damage.

I mostly play in UU, where MAggron's Heavy Slam doesn't even 3HKO Florges, if I remember correctly. The problem is that most mons who you'd wanna hit with Heavy Slam are plenty heavy enough to ensure a low BP.

On my current main UU team, which I win about 75% of my battles with (which is high for me, heh), I have Heavy Slam on my MAggron and almost never use it because it's so worthless. But of course, when I switch to Iron Tail, I miss so frequently it's not worth it.

I mostly play in UU, where MAggron's Heavy Slam doesn't even 3HKO Florges, if I remember correctly. The problem is that most mons who you'd wanna hit with Heavy Slam are plenty heavy enough to ensure a low BP.

On my current main UU team, which I win about 75% of my battles with (which is high for me, heh), I have Heavy Slam on my MAggron and almost never use it because it's so worthless. But of course, when I switch to Iron Tail, I miss so frequently it's not worth it.

Use Iron Head then.

Use Iron Head then.

I guess. But that's also too weak. Florges' always have Leftovers/Recover, which can wall almost all STAB Steel attacks in the meta. Certainly wall MAggro.

I'm wondering about that 3HKO...what's the common spread for Florges in UU, and how is your M-Aggron built? I pulled up some calcs and got the following:

vs. Offensive Calm Mind set
0 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Florges: 474-560 (143.6 - 169.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs. Defensive set (Calm)
0 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 356-420 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

vs. 252 Def/HP EVs and Bold nature
0 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 318-374 (88.3 - 103.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
-------------
I couldn't find Florges learning Recover but I think you mean Wish, which has the drawback of requiring a turn to activate, so you can use that to your advantage. If you have a Toxic user that's also one way to deal with Florges.

So I made a sandstorm team and I just cant decided how I should breed the sandshrew in it. Would it be better off with sand veil or sand rush as the ability and what would be the recommended IV set for it?

So I made a sandstorm team and I just cant decided how I should breed the sandshrew in it. Would it be better off with sand veil or sand rush as the ability and what would be the recommended IV set for it?

Sandslash @ Life Orb
Sand Rush
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Night Slash
Rapid Spin

Sandslash @ Life Orb
Sand Rush
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Night Slash
Rapid Spin

So if I do the sand rush ability would I even need to breed for a 31 IV speed or could I focus on a different stat?

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Sand Rush
Adamant
32 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 216 Spe
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Iron Head
Rapid Spin

Fixed :p

But seriously, why Sandslash when Excardill is basically "Sandslash: But Better In Every Way"?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom