• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

If I have 100 EV left (example) And I want my pokemon to be more defensive, should I do 50 in def and 50 in sp def, 25 in def, 25 in sp def and 50 in HP or 100 in HP ?

It would depend on the pokemon and its purpose (physical wall or special wall?) but I would suggest putting all of the remaining EVs in HP.

Thank you ! Its a Vileplume, and he is special. But why HP ?

@Lunacy Fringe Thanks! My idea is to use a Mega Metagross that is bulky, because if I invested 252 in Speed, he becomes quite frail and faints relatively quickly. Thats why I was thinking of investing 252 in Attack and 252 in HP, and to compense his lack of Speed investment with Rock polish. Don´t you find this set viable? Swith M- Metagross in against a type he resists; the opponen switches Pokemon and on that turn I use Rock Polish so basically he doesn´t get hurt while setting up. I just think a Steel type needs to be bulky and the HP investment is better for this purpose imo.

If I have 100 EV left (example) And I want my pokemon to be more defensive, should I do 50 in def and 50 in sp def, 25 in def, 25 in sp def and 50 in HP or 100 in HP ?

It would depend on the pokemon and its purpose (physical wall or special wall?) but I would suggest putting all of the remaining EVs in HP.

Thank you ! Its a Vileplume, and he is special. But why HP ?

You ALWAYS max HP before investing in Def or SpD. It's the rule. There's a lot of math and logic behind it but the gist of it is that HP is essentially Def and SpD at the same time.

Also, is a Jolly nature viable on MoxieGyara?

I'd go Ice Fang before ANY other move, as it can do serious harm to a lot of Pokemon. It gives a way of taking out dragons, grass types, and can harm flying types like no other. 4X damage to Salamence is nothing to scoff at.

As for your question on Nature, I can see it as being alright with Moxie, as you have the chance to outspeed. If you get said outspeed in a KO situation, Boom, instant stat boost, no repercussions. But, as always, that's just one way of looking at things.

Also very good to use. I'm a fan of taunt over Protect (Fake Out failsafe), and if you're running Doubles, it's a great block to the ever-more-present "1 Mon Follow Me, Other Mon Set Up" strat that pretty much everyone has been employing.

I prefer to run Intimidate over Moxie, because if I'm already running a way to boost, I'd rather my ability be something to screw with the opponent. I Value the usefulness of Moxie, it's just not for me.

idk about VGC if that's what you're talking about, but in OU Ice Fang is no longer used on MGyarados since Crunch is now available. It has much better neutral coverage, and STAB Crunch is only 10 points weaker than SE Ice Fang. And since you really only ran Ice Fang for Venusaur, anyways, Crunch is perfectly sufficient.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 154-183 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

^But I'm still worried about the likes of Dragonite...so why no DD/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Fang? That's what I use anyway...

^But I'm still worried about the likes of Dragonite...so why no DD/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Fang? That's what I use anyway...

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 255-301 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

But isn't Ice very potent offensively? And don't forget Dragonite can run bulk!

Ice is a good offensive type, but it's best when used on Ice-type pokemon or with Electric-Type moves for BoltBeam coverage. Pokemon who don't fit either of those circumstances run Ice-Type moves because they get walled by pokemon like Landorus-T or Gliscor otherwise (I.e Conkeldurr). While Mega Gyarados doesn't have much of a problem with those two since it has a hard hitting STAB Waterfall, it ran Ice Fang to check the common switch-ins of Mega Venusaur and most dragons. But now that it has Crunch + M-Venu falling into obscurity, Ice Fang would only be used to hit dragons super effectively when it's better to run a neutral Crunch and be able to deal more damage to a wider range of pokemon.

So run Stone Edge or Earthquake over Ice Fang? And what about Grass-types that resist Crunch like Breloom?

So run Stone Edge or Earthquake over Ice Fang? And what about Grass-types that resist Crunch like Breloom?

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 147-173 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Breloom can't switch in. If it was already in, Mach Punch 2HKOes so you would die in the process of setting up DDance -> Ice Fang anyways.

So run SE or EQ and why?
And what about MoxieGyara DDcer? Are EQ+Ice Fang my coverage moves in that case?

My question is for PSS Battles. When somebody is losing and turns off his console before tha match has finished, does it count as a loss for both players or only for the playaer that turns off the console? This is both about normal combats and Battle Spot ones. It happens often to me...

My question is for PSS Battles. When somebody is losing and turns off his console before tha match has finished, does it count as a loss for both players or only for the playaer that turns off the console? This is both about normal combats and Battle Spot ones. It happens often to me...

Only for the player who causes the disconnection.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom