• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I have a Regice with a nature that heightens his Sp. Def but lowers his Def. However, his IV spread has his Def as his highest stat, would it still be wise to use him on my competitive team?

I have a Regice with a nature that heightens his Sp. Def but lowers his Def. However, his IV spread has his Def as his highest stat, would it still be wise to use him on my competitive team?

No. imo, natures >>>> IVs. A 31 IV in defense for a -Def nature is the equivalent of a 7 IV for a Def neutral nature, and lower than a 0 IV for a +Def nature.

Yeah it seems to be a glitch/error because it says it only in the Smogon Team-Builder thing..not even Smogon lists it in the Moves tab on Togekiss' page.

Anyways couldn't you just run Hidden Power Ice?

I get the feeling he was going for the speed drop. Though thunder wave does the job much better...

Damn. Oh well. I guess that's where I got the idea then.

While it's true that Thunder Wave completely outclasses Icy Wind in singles, in doubles, switching is much less common and Icy Wind is a double-hit. Dual speed drops are very helpful. Especially when Togekiss can be EVd to outspeed positive base 115s (like Starmie) after a speed drop. Also, it's my only Ice move other than HP Ice. Which is problematic because I've never bothered to learn how to abuse the RNG, and fuck breeding for Hidden Power.

I'm training an Specs Alakazam for the battle frontier. I'm giving it Psychic and Focus Blast, and I was thinking Shadow Ball and Energy Ball, but there's also Grass Knot and Signal Beam, or maybe Trick. What should I go with?

anergy ball and grass knot arent too good in the BT. I would use trick, since they wont switch out, letting you set up with another pokemon on an immunity

Honestly, I'd run Energy Ball over Focus Blast (if you run Trick) and pack something to deal with Dark types. In addition to regular Battle Tower hax, Alakazam is so fragile that a single miss will get it killed.

If you're using it for the other Battle Frontier facilities, don't run Trick since you're not allowed to have items for most of them. The set you listed originally is fine (with Energy Ball).

I have a question about the wi-fi battle room challenge:

How do you complete it? I'm on rank 3 and I'm a bit confused. Do you have to get past a certain amount of ranks?

I have a question about the wi-fi battle room challenge:

How do you complete it? I'm on rank 3 and I'm a bit confused. Do you have to get past a certain amount of ranks?
If you get Rank 5 in the Wi-Fi Battle Room, your Pokémon get the World Ability Ribbon.

Hi, I'm considering to change my walrein since I can finally get my DS connected to wifi. Hence i need a little comment and recommendation to change if someone has better idea.

My current Walrein:
nature - relaxed
ability - ice body
item - leftover
EV - 220Hp, 252Def, 36SpD
IV - 31/21/31/31/28/29
Moveset:
Hail
Aqua Ring
Blizzard
Curse

I know most walrein doesn't learns hail, but i have to get the ice body work since don't have an abomasnow yet...

New set i just thought of:
Nature: Impish
Moveset:
Aqua Ring
Stockpile
Protect
Blizzard

The reason i want to replace curse with stockpile is to cover up the lack of SpD of Walrein especially from fire or electric type attacks. Now I somehow am able to obtain a pelliper and abomasnow from my friend soon or i can even try to trade with other people in the forum.

Or maybe I should just replace my current walrein's hail into another skill to save the works?

Edit: After posting up this problem, i guess it is more like whether i should choose curse or stockpile.

Last edited:
My current Walrein:
nature - relaxed
ability - ice body
item - leftover
EV - 220Hp, 252Def, 36SpD
IV - 31/21/31/31/28/29
Moveset:
Hail
Aqua Ring
Blizzard
Curse

I know most walrein doesn't learns hail, but i have to get the ice body work since don't have an abomasnow yet...

New set i just thought of:
Nature: Impish
Moveset:
Aqua Ring
Stockpile
Protect
Blizzard

The reason i want to replace curse with stockpile is to cover up the lack of SpD of Walrein especially from fire or electric type attacks. Now I somehow am able to obtain a pelliper and abomasnow from my friend soon or i can even try to trade with other people in the forum.

Or maybe I should just replace my current walrein's hail into another skill to save the works?

-Protect
-Substitute
-Super Fang
-Brine

^Awesomest Walrein set.

No, it will never be shiny unless it's always shiny like VGC Milotic, PCP, or VGC Eevee. And this probably isn't the place for this question...

Thanks. And yes, i didnt realize this was what it was until after i already posted in this one.

I'd like a second opinion:

Is Impish or Jolly a better nature for a flinch-hax Jirachi? I'm trying to decide whether to soft reset for a nice Jolly one or to stick with an Impish one I have now, that the potential checker (in the Battle Tower) says has "relatively superior" IVs.

I don't miss Speed on my flinch-hax Togekiss because of decent bulk + Roost, but I've never used a Jirachi before and I'm not sure if it wants speed more than bulk. Can someone who has good experience using Jirachi give me their opinion please?

I appreciate any help and advice! Thanks :)

EDIT~~ I should probably add this detail.. As far as movesets go, with Jolly I'd probably use:
~ Thunder Wave/Body Slam
~ Iron Head
~ Wish/Fire Punch?
~ Substitute

With Impish it would be:
~ Thunder Wave/Body Slam
~ Iron Head
~ Wish
~ U-turn

...but I'm undecided which one might work more effectively, since so many things can hit hard. With even a bulky EV spread it might not survive? Maybe I should care more about speed...

Last edited:
I would stick with jolly because scarfrachi is an absolute beast, and the ability to revenge kill +1 base 100s like mence is extremely useful. defensive set tend to be special thanks to calm mind boosting its SpD

Jirachi speed ties +1 Mence. Don't be so sure of its revenging ability when it speed ties...

Anyways, I do agree that Jolly is the better nature because you're still faster than a whole lot of other things. However, Imipish with Thunder Wave isn't such a bad idea if you plan on having a more supportive Jirachi. But if you mean to abuse Iron flinch-hax, Jolly is better.

Also, a quick note, Body Slam is Emerald exclusive.

I would like to ask some questions about absol.

1) How do the super luck ability function? In serebii and bulbapedia it was mentioned as doubles the critical modifier (i.e +1->+2, +2->+4). But in smogon it was described as increasing the crititcal rate by 1 stage.

2)If i were to use punishment, how is the STAB calculated? For example, if i used swagger then punishment. will i receive an extra 50 STAB bonus? (60+[2x20])

3)Should i choose Sword Dance or Swagger if i am going to include punishment as 1 of my attack. Sword dance guarantees more damage to sweep but i felt that swagger could grant me more survivability.

I would stick with jolly because scarfrachi is an absolute beast, and the ability to revenge kill +1 base 100s like mence is extremely useful. defensive set tend to be special thanks to calm mind boosting its SpD

Jirachi speed ties +1 Mence. Don't be so sure of its revenging ability when it speed ties...

Anyways, I do agree that Jolly is the better nature because you're still faster than a whole lot of other things. However, Imipish with Thunder Wave isn't such a bad idea if you plan on having a more supportive Jirachi. But if you mean to abuse Iron flinch-hax, Jolly is better.

Also, a quick note, Body Slam is Emerald exclusive.

Thanks so much for the advice you two! It's very appreciated.
I hadn't noticed yet that Body Slam was Emerald Exclusive, thanks for that info as well!

I suppose Jolly sounds better even just for outspeeding a decent list of things that it otherwise wouldn't -- even just to get in that Thunderwave fast and hope for a full paralysis ;)

Is a Jolly Jirachi still capable of supporting the team with Wish well enough? I can imagine the answer to this might be situational but it isn't crazy for me to still consider keeping Wish on him right?

Does this set sound reasonable?
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly
EVs (spread from Smogon): 164 HP / 168 Atk / 176 Spe
Iron Head
Thunderwave
Substitute/U-Turn
Wish

I know that dropping Fire Punch for Wish would give Jirachi less coverage, but it would be nice if he could still support the team a bit... ideally Wish-Passing and Iron-flinching, if it isn't impossible to have a good set that does both.
While I see the usefulness of Substitute on this set, dropping Fire Punch makes him fear Magnezone a bit more... should I put U-Turn in there like on a more typical Wish Passing set? I'm sure the geniuses who created these sets had reasons for everything, and I'm a bit inexperienced with competitive battling still.

What do you guys think?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom