• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

They all have their pros and cons, and it really depends on the game. Generally, for starter types, it's quite even (though Bulbasaur has a somewhat easy time with the first 3 Gyms in R/G/B/Y/FR/LG).

grass: 3 UU, 1 NU
water: 2 OU, 2 UU
fire: 2 NU, 1 UU, 1 OU

as you can see, water tends to be the best

grass: 3 UU, 1 NU
water: 2 OU, 2 UU
fire: 2 NU, 1 UU, 1 OU

as you can see, water tends to be the best
Could you elaborate please? with the specific names of the above mentioned pokemon? Also,nobody has answered one of my questions...
Is grass of no match to fire and water types? in other words,should they change grass with an other type as a starter?

It's quite even, because in-game, Grass tends to do very well against the early gyms, while Fire does badly, and Water is neutral, but Fire is strongest stat-wise, while Grass is weakest. And Pokémon is made for the in-game play, not competitive play.

Last edited:
I'm making a physical attacker pikachu/raichu, but I can't decide which to use.
It's a jolly nature pikachu with volt tackle and fake out.
Now I know raichu is faster than pikachu even with 252 speed EV's.
My question is, which would have higher attack (given 252 atk EV's), raichu, or pikachu holding a light ball?

pikachu max atk: 209 and *2 with light ball = 418
raichu max atk: 279 and *1.3 with life orb= 362

For people with experience in the new metagame, what do you suppose is the most popular Dragonite set post-ban?

mixnite and DDnite, probably, because it does the same thing at mence. Nite hasnt changed too much, and the same sets really work, just they arent so outclassed

For moves that deal double damage during the semi-invulnerable turns of other moves (Gust and Twister for Fly, Surf and Whirlpool for Dive, and Earthquake and Magnitude for Dig), does anyone know where in the damage formula the doubling takes place? The Bulbapedia pages seem to imply that it is after everything else is calculated, but it is very ambiguous. Smogon's damage formula article doesn't mention it.

Passing Speed to certain Pokemon; are they worth it?

I've always thought of Baton Passing speed to Pokemon with very low speed stats, but something about it bothers me. I know that once the Pokemon switches, it'll lose the speed boosts that I tried so hard to give it. It makes the whole process seem pointless. So, I wanna know what you guys think: should I use these Pokemon together?

(Also, there are plenty of other Pokemon I was thinking of, but I'm in a rush & can't list them all right now. Please do say if you can think of some others.)

Spr_4d_291.png

Ninjask-Leftovers
Adamant (Atk+, SpAtk-)
248 HP/8 Atk/184 Def/68 Spe
Aerial Ace
Substitute
Protect
Baton Pass

Wanting to pass just speed, I went with this variant of Ninjask. Going with Aerial Ace over X-Scissor is due to my fear of Breloom & Heracross.

Spr_4p_442.png

Spiritomb-Leftovers
Modest (SpAtk+,Atk-)
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Shadow Ball
Nasty Plot
Will-O-Wisp
Hidden Power (Fighting)

The reciever. Typical Nasty Plotter, & I know there are Pokemon that do this job better, I just wanted to try Spiritomb as a Special Attacker instead of as a defensive lead. Shadow Ball + Hidden Power (Fighting) = Perfect Coverage. I just couldn't get rid of Will-O-Wisp either.:sweatlol:

Re: Passing Speed to certain Pokemon; are they worth it?

Not really. In place of that Spiritomb, you can run a Mismagius who not only has greater speed, but has more chances to set up before it's either killed or roared out or Taunted. Or you can run a Gengar who can straight up attack. Do not overestimate Spiritomb's defenses. If you run something too slow, you'd have to run a TON of boosts to get it to outspeed anything. For example, even if your Spiritomb is at +6 with a 30 Speed IV, it only reaches 420 speed, easily surpassed by Scarfers and DDers (+1 Jolly Dragonite for instance).

Baton Pass is generally a poor idea because of the threats I listed; plus you would lose all your boosts if a Pokemon is forced out. In short, if a Pokemon can't stand by itself without it, then don't bother.

Agreed with I am not a he. There are much better receivers. I wouldn't say the idea is completely useless, but if it's easily countered, superiored, or pHazed, the entire strategy just dies, and instead of losing one team mate when a strategy slips, you lose two (as they usually tend to be codependent, especially with Ninjask as a lead).

If you really want to try Ninjask Baton Pass Lead, try this;
(Changes to your set in BOLD).

Spr_4d_291.png

Ninjask @Focus Sash
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)
252 Atk / 252 Speed
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Protect
Baton Pass

As a lead, start off with Protect, which gives you +1 Speed from Speed Boost (as well as avoid any Fake Out Leads, and scout the opponents Lead), use Swords Dance for +2 Attack and always survive because of Focus Sash, and then get the second Speed Boost. Ninjask can now pass +2 Atk / +2 Speed. Really, the only way to cripple this strategy is weather and secondary damage (say for example, if Flamethrower manages to leave a Burn status).

Last edited:
For moves that deal double damage during the semi-invulnerable turns of other moves (Gust and Twister for Fly, Surf and Whirlpool for Dive, and Earthquake and Magnitude for Dig), does anyone know where in the damage formula the doubling takes place? The Bulbapedia pages seem to imply that it is after everything else is calculated, but it is very ambiguous. Smogon's damage formula article doesn't mention it.

I always kind of assumed that the move doubled in Base Power, like Revenge/Avalanche if the user takes damage before using the attack.

I think the damage output is just doubled, like how SE moves are. I tried researching this but interestingly every damage calculator leaves this out despite having random bullshit like Charge and Flower Gift.

Spr_4d_291.png

Ninjask @Focus Sash
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)
252 Atk / 252 Speed
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Protect
Baton Pass

Run Adamant instead. 252 Spe neutral still beats max speed Electrode, so unless you're in Ubers or feel like you can do anything against opposing Ninjask (which you kind of can't), you might as well run Adamant.

Poliwrath moveset

I'm building an offensive Rain Dance team, and one of the members is Belly Drum Poliwhirl. I've come up with a moveset, I just can't decide on the fourth move, or its item.

Its current moveset is:

• Hypnosis
  • Belly Drum
  • Waterfall

It's stragy is, pretty much, switch in, Hypnosis, Belly Drum on the switch and sweep. Boosted by Rain Dance, Waterfall is a very nasty move. So, what move do you think I should have?

I'm no expert, but I do think that whatever that last move is should be a Fighting move of some sort.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom