• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

If you predict correctly, volt absorb should "pay" for a sub.

Umm, this doesn't hold true, you have to switch most of the time for someone to use Volt Absorb, and it stops being a surprise after the first time, so at most you can recover entry hazard damage. It doesn't pay for a sub, in that sense.

What? Yeah, it recovers nothing if you are at full health, but at that point you van afford a sub; Jolteon can wreak plenty of havoc at 75% with a Life Orb. However, if you are damaged at all by recoil or previous subs, Volt Absorb can heal that off. It seems pretty obvious

What? Yeah, it recovers nothing if you are at full health, but at that point you van afford a sub; Jolteon can wreak plenty of havoc at 75% with a Life Orb. However, if you are damaged at all by recoil or previous subs, Volt Absorb can heal that off. It seems pretty obvious

But you won't be able to Pull off Volt Absorb against a good player, the surprise is gone.

I've easily pulled off multiple Volt Absorbs on Shoddy before, even when my opponent was fully aware of my Jolteon. It's all about prediction, overprediction, and over-overprediction :p

I've easily pulled off multiple Volt Absorbs on Shoddy before, even when my opponent was fully aware of my Jolteon. It's all about prediction, overprediction, and over-overprediction :p

Then your opponent must not have been very good. Could you provide an example of how you got a Volt Absorb in?

The opponent won't stop using electric attacks altogether once they are aware of Jolteon, they will just be more cautious. I had a long description of the scenario that I had in mind typed up, but my iPod (which I am on right now) starts to lag as I was writing it and crashed before I could post it, but it involved an overprediction by Scarf Rotom against my Ddance Gyara, which was later inverted so that my Jolteon could get in for free.

If you T-bolted with that Rotom, you were asking for Jolteon to switch in. It's obvious bait, and the smarter option would be to trick.

Clarification: My opponent had the Rotom, I was using Gyarados. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I really didn't want to post this, but here goes:

My opponent overpredicted and used HP Ground, assuming a switch to Jolteon. Obviously this didn't affect my Gyara, so I got an extra turn of set-up.

He switched to his Skarmory and PHazed Gyara out.

Later on, the same match-up (Gyara vs. Rotom) came up in a double switch. This time, he assumed that I would pull the same trick and fed a Thunderbolt to my Jolteon, who proceeded to sweep.

Well, that is assuming your opponent knew about Jolteon in the first place. If you play cautiously, that would work. Of course, it all depends on the rest of your team.

If I have a team I'd like rated, that isn't for competitive battling beyond a between-friends point of view, but doesn't count as in-game and has EVs and the kind of movepool the rules mention as being under competitive, where do I put it?

Also, did that make sense?

Which stat will be higher: IV 31 with a neutral nature, or IV 0 with a good nature?
IV 31 with a hindering nature, or IV 0 with a neutral nature?

Which stat will be higher: IV 31 with a neutral nature, or IV 0 with a good nature?
IV 31 with a hindering nature, or IV 0 with a neutral nature?

it depends entirely on which pokemon & which stat you're comparing - an extreme example would be attack form deoxys where in the offensive stats the nature would make a greater difference yet in the defensive stats the IV's would count for more

i haven't done the maths but i'm guessing a 310 stat at level 100 is probably the threshold as 10% nature increase/decrease would be 31 stat points either way

well it really depends on the particular base stats, alot of the time its the 31 IV, however the higher the base stat the more nature affects the final outcome. For instance a Gyarados with an adamant nature and 0IV has a higher attack than a Jolly variant with 31 IV.

say your weavile uses agility and you switch it out of battle for a gengar and gengar gets knocked out and you send weavile back out again, would it still have the benefits of agility?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom