• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Guys, I need help. I'm about to start training a Ferrothorn, but I can't choose a moveset. So many options! The one I planned is like this:

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
252 Defense / 252 Special Defense / 6 Attack

-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

Yes, a defense tank. The thing is, I saw that it can only learn Stealth Rock from Mineral-group Pokémon and Leech Seed from Grass-group Pokémon, so I thought it would be impossible to have both moves. Then, I realized that Torterra can learn both moves, and it could pass them down to its offspring by breeding with a female Ferroseed. Is this right? Will the offspring Ferroseed inherit both moves from Torterra? Or will it just inherit Leech Seed? I mean, Stealth Rock is not learned naturally, but by TM in Generation IV...

Also, if you want to suggest another moveset, feel free to do so. I don't want an attacking Ferrothorn since I already got four attacking Pokémon in my team, and I want something more defense-directed. Thanks!

I would suggest going with the smogon ev spread. It is better from my experience: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
This assumes that your ferrothorn has perfect ivs in atleast hp, def and sp.def. I would suggest relaxed as the nature and if possible, try to keep the number of speed ivs to a minimum.

It will inherit both leech seed and stealth rock from torterra.

Guys, I need help. I'm about to start training a Ferrothorn, but I can't choose a moveset. So many options! The one I planned is like this:

Ferrothorn @Leftovers

-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

Yes, a defense tank. The thing is, I saw that it can only learn Stealth Rock from Mineral-group Pokémon and Leech Seed from Grass-group Pokémon, so I thought it would be impossible to have both moves. Then, I realized that Torterra can learn both moves, and it could pass them down to its offspring by breeding with a female Ferroseed. Is this right? Will the offspring Ferroseed inherit both moves from Torterra? Or will it just inherit Leech Seed? I mean, Stealth Rock is not learned naturally, but by TM in Generation IV...

Also, if you want to suggest another moveset, feel free to do so. I don't want an attacking Ferrothorn since I already got four attacking Pokémon in my team, and I want something more defense-directed. Thanks!

I would suggest going with the smogon ev spread. It is better from my experience: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
This assumes that your ferrothorn has perfect ivs in atleast hp, def and sp.def. I would suggest relaxed as the nature and if possible, try to keep the number of speed ivs to a minimum.

Ok, thank you very much. And what do you think about my moveset? Is it good?

Ferrothorn @Leftovers

-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

Gyro ball, leech seed and stealth rock are pretty useful on any ferrothorn. So, thats good. If bulky water types give you problems, go with power whip. It also has more pp, if it matters.

Toxic is pretty uncommon but I will say that it is a decent option. Being able to poison stuff like volcarona and ninetales as they switch in helps.

However, you can also try out thunder-wave instead of toxic. It can often be more useful for an offensive team but it sort of clashes with gyro ball.

Also test Protect as well for the last slot. Leech seed + protect is one of the most effective combo-es I have ever used.

tl;dr try out the options I mentioned as well and use what fits your bill.

Ferrothorn @Leftovers

-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

Gyro ball, leech seed and stealth rock are pretty useful on any ferrothorn. So, thats good. If bulky water types give you problems, go with power whip. It also has more pp, if it matters.

Toxic is pretty uncommon but I will say that it is a decent option. Being able to poison stuff like volcarona and ninetales as they switch in helps.

However, you can also try out thunder-wave instead of toxic. It can often be more useful for an offensive team but it sort of clashes with gyro ball.

Also test Protect as well for the last slot. Leech seed + protect is one of the most effective combo-es I have ever used.

Yeah, I also thought of that when I considered Thunder Wave for my team. What I like about Toxic is that it will wear the foe down, along with Leech Seed. Plus, if they make a physical attack on Ferrothorn, they will get hurt because of Iron Barbs. I hadn't thought of Protect, but it's a very good idea! I wonder if the Smogon EV distribution will work with that moveset I crafted, though...

Once again, thank you very much for your help! It was very useful!

Ferrothorn @Leftovers

-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

Yeah, I also thought of that when I considered Thunder Wave for my team. What I like about Toxic is that it will wear the foe down, along with Leech Seed. Plus, if they make a physical attack on Ferrothorn, they will get hurt because of Iron Barbs. I hadn't thought of Protect, but it's a very good idea! I wonder if the Smogon EV distribution will work with that moveset I crafted, though...

Once again, thank you very much for your help! It was very useful!

don't want to dampen spirits but it isn't exactly a "crafted" moveset seeing that atleast 3 of those moves are seen on pretty much every ferrothorn. And since it is close to what a standard ferro does, the smogon evs will work.

sure. I like helping.:)

don't want to dampen spirits but it isn't exactly a "crafted" moveset seeing that atleast 3 of those moves are seen on pretty much every ferrothorn. And since it is close to what a standard ferro does, the smogon evs will work.

You're actually right, hahahaha, it's just that I don't see Ferrothorns with Toxic + Leftovers very often, so I guess I gave those common movesets a very, very small twist to make it unique. It's not that different from the others though, so you're right, it's not a crafted moveset, hahaha. I'm worried about the IVs, I guess I'll have to catch loooots of Ferroseed to pass the IVs down with the Power items... I hope I get a good Ferrothorn in the end after all the effort.

You're actually right, hahahaha, it's just that I don't see Ferrothorns with Toxic + Leftovers very often, so I guess I gave those common movesets a very, very small twist to make it unique. It's not that different from the others though, so you're right, it's not a crafted moveset, hahaha. I'm worried about the IVs, I guess I'll have to catch loooots of Ferroseed to pass the IVs down with the Power items... I hope I get a good Ferrothorn in the end after all the effort.

or simply catch lots of ditto with decent ivs so that you can reuse them even after you finish breeding ferrothorn.

or simply catch lots of ditto with decent ivs so that you can reuse them even after you finish breeding ferrothorn.

Well, first, I've got to breed the Torterra that knows Leech Seed and Stealth Rock with a female Ferroseed... Out of 89 Pokémon I've trained with EVs, only three have perfect IVs: My Kangaskhan in HP, my Sceptile in Special Attack, and my Haxorus in Attack... I hope I make a fourth with Ferrothorn!

Well, first, I've got to breed the Torterra that knows Leech Seed and Stealth Rock with a female Ferroseed... Out of 89 Pokémon I've trained with EVs, only three have perfect IVs: My Kangaskhan in HP, my Sceptile in Special Attack, and my Haxorus in Attack... I hope I make a fourth with Ferrothorn!

Save yourself some time by going to the trade center and directly asking for a male ferroseed with sr + leech seed there..

Save yourself some time by going to the trade center and directly asking for a male ferroseed with sr + leech seed there..

... I don't want to sound like a n00b, but can I ask for a Pokémon with specific moves? I didn't know that! I bought Black less than a month ago and I'm still getting used to the new features...

... I don't want to sound like a n00b, but can I ask for a Pokémon with specific moves? I didn't know that! I bought Black less than a month ago and I'm still getting used to the new features...

I think you misunderstood trade center as the gts, so no you can't ask for mons with certain moves there.

I'm talking about the bulbagarden trade center where you can ask for it. That is the way how i got my own ferroseed.

I think you misunderstood trade center as the gts, so no you can't ask for mons with certain moves there.

I'm talking about the bulbagarden trade center where you can ask for it. That is the way how i got my own ferroseed.

... X''') I feel so stupid right now... Ok, I'll do that! Thanks again!

Is Claydol RU or UU, currently? It's analysis page on Smogon says it's UU, but I'm trying to put together an RU team and a lot of pages recommend Claydol as a teammate.

Is Claydol RU or UU, currently? It's analysis page on Smogon says it's UU, but I'm trying to put together an RU team and a lot of pages recommend Claydol as a teammate.

It just became UU a week back at the beginning of April when the tiers were reshuffled. However the RU analysis haven't been changed yet, so they will have mentions of claydol.

Here is where it was announced.

Shuckle (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Careful Nature
- Power Split
- Rock Slide
- Gyro Ball
- Power Trick

What do you think? I have a flawless Shiny Shuckle, but can't decide how to train it. I don't believe the traditional Toxicstall is the best option, although it may well be... If most people think its best then ill give it a go.

Any Ideas? This set is designed to use Power Split to cripple the opponents attack. Then Power Trick. Because Power split increased my attack, its not so mind nummingly suicidal anymore, so I can Sweep with Gyroball or Rock Slide, and still take several hits, especialy rocking leftovers.

And Inputs?

So, I have the Rash-natured event Raikou from HGSS (the one used to encounter Zoroark). I've trained it for maximum Speed and Special Attack, but I still have a couple questions. Should I invest the remaining 6 EVs in Attack and keep Extremespeed, or should I invest in HP instead and go for Volt Switch or one of the screens? For the rest of his set, I planned on using Thunderbolt, Aura Sphere, and Shadow Ball.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread! I don't do this sort of thing often. >.<)

So, I have the Rash-natured event Raikou from HGSS (the one used to encounter Zoroark). I've trained it for maximum Speed and Special Attack, but I still have a couple questions. Should I invest the remaining 6 EVs in Attack and keep Extremespeed, or should I invest in HP instead and go for Volt Switch or one of the screens? For the rest of his set, I planned on using Thunderbolt, Aura Sphere, and Shadow Ball.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread! I don't do this sort of thing often. >.<)

It's actually in the right spot, so don't worry about that. I'd go for Special Defense, and not use Extremespeed. Volt Switch can be put there instead. You wouldn't put them in HP as you have a good HP number, but you could do defense as it's not that big of a difference.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom