• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I feel stupid for asking such a noob question but I'm really getting intto EV training and want to eventually battle online for the first time.

Is there any way outside of the Battle Subway where all Pokemon are automatically levelled to 50 or 100? I figure there's a particular Wifi Battle setting or something?

If you use the WiFi room, you can battle using your level 100, but the wireless room will scale to level 50. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Kinda, if I do Wifi battles, will my Lvl 73 Tyranitar (for example) automatically be levelled up to 100?

WHat does Tank, lead, sweeper, etc. Mean? Can anyone explain all of them including the ones I didn't put on?

WHat does Tank, lead, sweeper, etc. Mean? Can anyone explain all of them including the ones I didn't put on?

Well, Terminology is an extensive list, but I'll do what I can.

Metagame is a game within a game. It's the atmosphere of predicting, planning and everything else needed to win. Competitive Battling is a metagame.

A Lead is exactly what it sounds like, a Pokemon that starts off the match. In Generation Five (Black and White), Team Preview (Pokemon Order is arranged prior to match) has caused the decline of dedicated leads in general battling. However, Generation Four (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, and Heart Gold) has a very prominent lead metagames.

Walls are Pokemon that are designed to take hits along with supply the team with another form of support, through entry hazards (Spikes and Stealth Rock), statuses (Poison, and Paralysis), pHazing (Pseudohazing, moves that force pokemon to go away like Roar and Whirlwind) or other types of support. They can inclined toward deflecting physical attacks (Skarmory, or Hippowdon) or Special Attacks (Blissey or Tentacruel).

Wallbreakers are pokemon that focus on taking down both Physical and Special Walls through sheer power (Terrakion or Haxorus) or a mixed moveset of both Physical and Special moves (Infernape or Salamence.)

Sweepers are Pokemon that can use set-up moves to clean up after counters are removed. These moves include Dragon Dance (Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence), Quiver Dance (Volcarona), Swords Dance (Infernape, Terrakion), and Rock Polish (Terrakion).

Tanks are Pokemon that can generally take a hit, and still hit back harder and accomplish its purpose.

I'll finish up in a bit, but repost on other specific terms you would like to know.

Who would be the best recipient of Secret Power? (preferably Normal type please)

thats a tough one, because every pokemon can learn secret power... so... it really depends on your team. i'll need more info on that to give you a solid rate. actually, in an ideal world, arceus. just saying.

Goodset for Quilava?

Comments or Suggestions?

Quilava
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Dig
-Double Kick

I need something to hit Ground, will Flare blitz get over most ground types who aren't Rock/Ground?

This is probably the best place to ask.

What are some good moves to teach to a Stunky?

The one I have in Diamond is at lv. 24 and knows
Screech
Fury Swipes
SmokeScreen
Toxic

Moves I have it can learn
Payback
Fire Blast
Return

Suggest anything not just the moves listed.
Thanks.

Screech
Fury Swipes
SmokeScreen
Toxic

Payback
Fire Blast
Return

Thanks.

Well it can learn Night Slash as he levels which is Good It could of Learned slash at 22 which would of been better than Fury Swipes. Payback is nice and Fireblast would be good to. Return would be great if you knew how High His Happiness was.

So I battled a Conkeldur that used both Drain Punch and Mach punch. Bulbapedia shows that you cannot get both these moves bread on but on Smogon it shows one of his movesets that has both those moves. So Can Conkeldur Mach punch and Drain Punch???

Yes but my only evidence is that someone has a Timburr in Munchlax Craving's with those egg moves.

The trick I know of is to get a Hitmonchan (which learns Mach Punch naturally) in Gen. III or IV and teach it Drain Punch by TM in Gen. IV, then send it to Black or White and have it breed with a female Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr. The offspring will have both of those moves.

Screech
Fury Swipes
SmokeScreen
Toxic

Payback
Fire Blast
Return

Thanks.

Well it can learn Night Slash as he levels which is Good It could of Learned slash at 22 which would of been better than Fury Swipes. Payback is nice and Fireblast would be good to. Return would be great if you knew how High His Happiness was.
This is for Diamond and Pearl so it doesn't learn Slash until level 25. As soon as I get it to lv 25, I'll replace Fury Swipes. And I think I will replace Screech with Payback for now and wait a little bit later to teach it Fire Blast.

Thanks for the help!

I was going to ask this question in that big argument/debate thread of bannings and Smogon and the like, but it was locked...so I'll ask it here. If a Pokemon becomes banned for being over-centralizing, why didn't the same thing happen to Stealth Rock? SR single-handedly over-centralized EVERYTHING about competitive battling. So much that Rapid Spin is considered a worthy move-slot, and Pokemon that are weak to SR are suddenly bottom-tier trash that gets laughed at, and EVERYTHING has to be prepared to set up AND fend off SR and other entry-hazard hazards.

It's mostly my own confusion that's making me ask this question, since it doesn't make sense that a Pokemon can be banned for over-centralization, but Stealth Rock gets a free pass. I'm not attacking anyone or anything; I'm just genuinely curious. D8;

Usually when something is banned, it's banned for over-centralising, yes, but also if it's deemed broken and makes the game unfair. I can see where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent, but it doesn't make a Pokemon trash necessarily. You can play strategically and use things like Magic Coat, Magic Bounce, Taunt, Rapid Spin among others to protect these Pokemon.

My only problem with it is that it takes one turn to set up, yet it can tear apart teams. But then again, the same can be said for something like Trick Room or even Drizzle/Snow Warning/Drought/Sandstream - to a certain extent, anyway. If it stacked like Spikes or did less to Pokemon 2x weak or 4x weak, they would have a better chance.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom