• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

For some reason, I'm unable to take my Pokémon out of the battle box even though the Little League is over. Is there a way to unlock the battle box so I can take them out?

For some reason, I'm unable to take my Pokémon out of the battle box even though the Little League is over. Is there a way to unlock the battle box so I can take them out?

Once you finish the tournament, you go back onto the Battle Spot onto Online Competition to check the status of the competition (it should say the competition has ended), and that should automatically unlock your Battle Box.

Is Salamence still viable in OU! DD is outclassed by CharizardX, but what about mixed or Scarf? I'm thinking about pairing a mixed Kyurem-B with it to use a duo similar the Rayquaza+Salamence in DPPt.

I believe just the mega stone is banned, so it is probably possible.

Is Salamence still viable in OU! DD is outclassed by CharizardX, but what about mixed or Scarf? I'm thinking about pairing a mixed Kyurem-B with it to use a duo similar the Rayquaza+Salamence in DPPt.

I believe just the mega stone is banned, so it is probably possible.

He was asking whether it was viable, not usable in OU.

What Ice-type Pokemon are good in OU? It's my favorite type together with Water, but all types have good and bad Pokemon; who do you recommend in OU? Are Shell Smash Cloyster and MAbosmanow viable?

Last edited:
Mamoswine and Black Kyurem are the most common and viable OU Ice types, the former due to its STAB coverage and that base 130 Att. Kyurem-B, unlike his twin Kyurem-W, is in OU just because it lacks good physical moves. I'm on the fence about Gimmick Clam because it has lots of simple checks and counters, but if you can make it work it is a demon in Overused and the same goes for Mega Obamasnow, although you might be wasting a mega spot there.

Other viable pokemon would be M-Glalie, Froslass, Weavile, and possibly Kyurem.

I have two questions that i want to ask.

1) Is it possible to breed a male Pokemon with its HA with the female of the same Pokemon with no HA down to the offspring? I tried doing that with Swirlix once to get a female in a pramear ball since the HA male was in a regular Pokeball and the female has no HA. It didn't work, so I gave up and just continued the breeding project with the male.

2) What is the good ability for a Driftblum that has Baton pass and Minimize in it's move set? I can't decide on it's HA and Undurdden to be my Drifblum's ability.

I have two questions that i want to ask.

1) Is it possible to breed a male Pokemon with its HA with the female of the same Pokemon with no HA down to the offspring? I tried doing that with Swirlix once to get a female in a pramear ball since the HA male was in a regular Pokeball and the female has no HA. It didn't work, so I gave up and just continued the breeding project with the male.

2) What is the good ability for a Driftblum that has Baton pass and Minimize in it's move set? I can't decide on it's HA and Undurdden to be my Drifblum's ability.

1) No, the male can only pass down its HA when bred with a Ditto.

2) Unburden can be used with a Focus Sash to ensure a baton pass to something else before it gets knocked out; whereas with Aftermath Drifblim can at least get some damage off in case the BP + Minimize strategy fails. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

Cloyster in OU
SS
Icicle Spear
?
?
Also explain why!
Oh, and isn't Weavile BL?

-Rock Blast for additional coverage
-Either Ice Shard, Hydro Pump, or Explosion depending on how much you value priority and reliability over power.
Yes it is, but BL means it can still be used in OU (but not in UU).

What is the best and worst type in general (it's obvious, for example, Ice is the worst defense but very good offense)?

What is the best and worst type in general (it's obvious, for example, Ice is the worst defense but very good offense)?

I would say Rock because of their low accuracy STAB moves, only two special rock-type move which are highly exclusive, many have 4x weakness, outclassed by the steel type in the defensive aspect, and weakness to the most spammed move ever.

Rock, despite being a very bad type, is extremely important offensively. Because of Stealth Rock and the many ways to remove it, a Pokemon's defense vs. Rock plays a big role in its viability.
Every type is important in its own way, however I'm going to just go out there and say that the worst typing in the game is bug. On top of having a Rock weakness, it has no immunities to status or other types, is weak to Flying, aka one of the best offensive types, and its only notable resistance is Ground, which is offset by the fact that most bugs are often dual typed with a type that's either weak or immune to ground. Additionally, it has horrid offensive matchups, being resisted by 6 types and only effective against 3, all of which are not known for being good defensive types anyway. Move-wise, Bug does not have a special move stronger than 90 BP, and physically, Bugs are forced to choose between the inaccurate and poorly distributed Megahorn, the weak X-Scissor, and U-turn, which is unsuitable for boosting sweepers.

And the best? How good is Ice? I know Ice is a very offensive-oriented type, or am I mistaken?

Ice is very relevant just because it keeps the extremely prominent Dragon types (as well as flying and ground, to a lesser extent) in check since Ice Beam has wide distribution. This relevance is best demonstrated by the fact that HP Ice is such a popular coverage choice despite its 60 BP. However, actual pokemon who are ice type are not super relevant in OU - pokes like kyuremB and Weavile are antimeta in the sense that they can wreck unprepared teams, but they tend to benefit more from their Dragon and Dark types that are more useful in general.

It's probably better to separate offence and defence into two thoughts. As mentioned, both Rock and Ice types are sub-par defensively, but superb offensively.

However, i think there's a reason why Water is so common. In terms of story mode, you cannot get by without HM slaves, and it just so happens that two water HMs are excellent in battle (Surf and Waterfall). Water has only two weaknesses, even though they are fairly common, and very few pokemon have double resist to water. All but two Water type pokemon can learn ice attacks giving them superb offensive coverage (and since when did anyone use Magikarp competitively anyway?). The only threats to viability you might need to watch for are the abilities Storm Drain and Water Absorb, as well as the attack Freeze-Dry.

Ghost (apart from being my very favourite type) is also desirable. The only type with two immunities (sometimes more if paired with Dark, Ground, Steel etc), not to mention it hits just two other types for less-than-regular damage (post gen-V). There may not be very many high-powered moves to use, but Shadow ball has huge distribution and is reliable. The big drawback is that Ghost is its own worst enemy, so speed/priority tends to be key. (Good for the likes of Gengar and Froslass.)

From a defensive standpoint, Steel and Fire really are the best in terms of resistances, as well as Poison being fairly strong too.

From a mainly offensive view, Ice, Rock and Ground (even with flyers and Levitate) hit a wide range of types.

From a defensive standpoint, Steel and Fire really are the best in terms of resistances, as well as Poison being fairly strong too.
While you should be taking resistances into account it's also important to factor in base stats and a type's weaknesses when studying how it places defensively. Although Fire does have a bunch of resistances Fire-type Pokemon do not usually excel in their defensive stats. And unfortunately they are weak to offensive types that are pretty common: Rock and Ground (which you have mentioned) as well as Water which I would say is popular both offensively and defensively, due to wide distribution and fairly decent base stats across the board.

Following situation:
It's a double battle and I have a Cradily with Storm Drain and another pokemon on my side. My other pokemon uses Surf but both of the opponents pokemon protect. Does the attack go through and give Cradily the SpAtk boost or does nothing happen?

How good is the Ice-Type versus the Fairy-Type? I mean, they both are strong against Dragon-Types, who I hear practically almost rule the roost.

I mean, the Ice-Type I hear is totally horrible for resistances, but is a good offensive Type.

But the Fairy-Type has better resistances, and hits some crucial Types for Super-Effective damage.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom