• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Say, you know how Magearna recently became available, right? Well, I when I was looking through its moveset on Bulbapedia, I noticed it gets Shift Gear, and thus I want to make a mixed set that takes advantage of this... only I don't really know what EVs to give it since I hardly ever use mided sets, which is why I'm asking for assistance from you lot. Oh, and here's a moveset I guess:

Magearna
Item: Undecided (maybe Steelium Z depending on what Z-Shift Gear does, I'm not too sure on that)
Ability: Soul Heart
Nature: Lonely because I couldn't be bothered SRing for something better
Moves:
-Fleur Cannon
-Iron Head
-Brick Break/Explosion
-Shift Gear

Also, speaking of Magearna, does Soul Heart activate when an opponent faints? Or when an ally faints and Magearna is sent out afterwards? Because that's another thing I would like to know.

Say, you know how Magearna recently became available, right? Well, I when I was looking through its moveset on Bulbapedia, I noticed it gets Shift Gear, and thus I want to make a mixed set that takes advantage of this... only I don't really know what EVs to give it since I hardly ever use mided sets, which is why I'm asking for assistance from you lot. Oh, and here's a moveset I guess:

Magearna
Item: Undecided (maybe Steelium Z depending on what Z-Shift Gear does, I'm not too sure on that)
Ability: Soul Heart
Nature: Lonely because I couldn't be bothered SRing for something better
Moves:
-Fleur Cannon
-Iron Head
-Brick Break/Explosion
-Shift Gear

Also, speaking of Magearna, does Soul Heart activate when an opponent faints? Or when an ally faints and Magearna is sent out afterwards? Because that's another thing I would like to know.

I've seen a very successful Shift Gear set, but it's pure Special.

Magearna @ Steelium Z
Soul Heart
Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Shift Gear
~Flash Cannon
~Thunderbolt
~Aura Sphere

U shift gear up, break thru a bulky mon with Corkscrew Crash to get your first SH boost, then sweep

Is Miltank good for competitive? and if so what's a good build for one?
In Battlespot, that's going to be a no.
in VGC17, I highly doubt it.
In its latest Smogon tiering (ORAS NU), it's still probably a no.

But if you're really keen on running it, An Impish nature + Max HP and Defense (or Smogon's spread of 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe to outspeed base 70 speed pokemon) with Body Slam/Milk Drink/Heal Bell/Status move would get the most mileage out of the cow.

If I want to make Silvally a Physical sweeper (this is a generally well-conceived build for it, right?), should I go for an Adamant nature? Or Jolly nature? Or are there any alternative suggestions? (I know almost nothing about the Gen VII metagame right now so I'm open to any suggestions)

I'd like to use a Dance Team for double battles, with Lilligant and Orocorio.

The question is, which Oricorio would be best? I'm thinking either the Ghost one or the Electric one because the Ghost one has three immunities and the Electric one cancels out the Electric weakness. Or maybe use Baile to lure out Water-types?

I'd like to use a Dance Team for double battles, with Lilligant and Orocorio.

The question is, which Oricorio would be best? I'm thinking either the Ghost one or the Electric one because the Ghost one has three immunities and the Electric one cancels out the Electric weakness. Or maybe use Baile to lure out Water-types?
Well Tierno Klavier, you would probably want to go for Fire as Lilligant gets walled by Steel. Electric could also be an option for enemy Flying types.

If I want to make Silvally a Physical sweeper (this is a generally well-conceived build for it, right?), should I go for an Adamant nature? Or Jolly nature? Or are there any alternative suggestions? (I know almost nothing about the Gen VII metagame right now so I'm open to any suggestions)
When in doubt, go for speed. Jolly will let you speed tie with +Nature Tapu Lele (non-scarfed, of course), so there's one important benchmark.

Last edited:
Well Tierno Klavier, you would probably want to go for Fire as Lilligant gets walled by Steel. Electric could also be an option for enemy Flying types.
Works really well. Since I'm taking Kommo-o along, the opponents keep bringing Ice-types, so having Baile saved my team a lot. I also noticed the number of Ground-type pokemon increasing when I take the Cheerleader, but Lilligant takes care of them. From experience, I think any type of Oricorio can work.

My dancing set
Oricorio/Modest/Focus Sash (subject to change)/Dancer
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/remains HP
Protect
Air Slash
Revelation Dance
Teeter Dance/Hidde Power

Lilligant/Modest/Coba berry (subject to change)/Own Tempo
252 Spe. Atk/252 Spd/remains HP
Protect/Hidden Power
Quiver Dance
Petal Dance
Giga Drain

The best part of this duo is that Oricorio can attack/buff when it is protecting itself. Basically getting a passive two-turn attack if set-up nicely. Maybe Timid could be better, but Quiver Dance works.

I'm trying to decide on better items. Though, it's going to take a while to collect all those BPs

Silvally is so versatile that there's tons of movesets it can use! As a general suggestion, I'd stick with an offensive set with a speed-boosting nature. Personally I think a special or mixed set would be more useful, but here's a potential physical set:
Silvally @ Life Orb/Choice Band/Expert Belt/Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge/Multi Attack/Explosion
- Parting Shot
- Crunch/Iron Head/Fire Fang

Works really well. Since I'm taking Kommo-o along, the opponents keep bringing Ice-types, so having Baile saved my team a lot. I also noticed the number of Ground-type pokemon increasing when I take the Cheerleader, but Lilligant takes care of them. From experience, I think any type of Oricorio can work.

My dancing set
Oricorio/Modest/Focus Sash (subject to change)/Dancer
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/remains HP
Protect
Air Slash
Revelation Dance
Teeter Dance/Hidde Power

Lilligant/Modest/Coba berry (subject to change)/Own Tempo
252 Spe. Atk/252 Spd/remains HP
Protect/Hidden Power
Quiver Dance
Petal Dance
Giga Drain

The best part of this duo is that Oricorio can attack/buff when it is protecting itself. Basically getting a passive two-turn attack if set-up nicely. Maybe Timid could be better, but Quiver Dance works.

I'm trying to decide on better items. Though, it's going to take a while to collect all those BPs
This pair looks really fun to use! Some suggestions I'd make:
- Put Roost in the last moveslot for Oricorio
- Replace Petal Dance with Leaf Storm on Lilligant
- Add Sleep Powder on Lilligant, either in the first moveslot or the last
- Give Lilligant the Focus Sash and give Oricorio Life Orb or Sitrus Berry
- Possibly add Torkoal to the team and change Lilligant's ability to Chlorophyll

Additionally, you could try Ribombee instead of Lilligant:
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
- Pollen Puff
- Baton Pass
Ribombee is faster than Lilligant (outside of the sun) and can use Pollen Puff to heal Oricorio as well as Baton Pass away its stat boosts to something in the back that can come in and sweep.

Hey guys, I am currently training a Samurott in ORAS. He is already levelled up to level 50, and is Modest, with 6 perfect Ivs.

However, I have doubts about the EV investment. I know 252 EVs will go in Special Attack, but I don´t know what to do with the rest of the EV spread. I doubt between 252 EVs in HP and 4 EVs in Speed (to set him apart from other uninvested guys from the same speed tier), or viceversa.

Also, I am not sure about the Item he should hold either.

About the moves, I am planning Surf or HydroPump/Ice Beam/ Grass Knot and I can´t decide if the last one should be Encore or Protect...

Some good ideas would be appreciated.

And by the way, I plan on using him both in the Battle Maison and the Battle Spot.

Hey guys, I am currently training a Samurott in ORAS. He is already levelled up to level 50, and is Modest, with 6 perfect Ivs.

However, I have doubts about the EV investment. I know 252 EVs will go in Special Attack, but I don´t know what to do with the rest of the EV spread. I doubt between 252 EVs in HP and 4 EVs in Speed (to set him apart from other uninvested guys from the same speed tier), or viceversa.

Also, I am not sure about the Item he should hold either.

About the moves, I am planning Surf or HydroPump/Ice Beam/ Grass Knot and I can´t decide if the last one should be Encore or Protect...

Some good ideas would be appreciated.

And by the way, I plan on using him both in the Battle Maison and the Battle Spot.
Samurott has a pretty shallow offensive movepool, especially on the special side. It isn't very fortunate with the HA it got either. But since it's going to be special anyway and thus can't run Swords Dance + Aqua Jet, you should just go with a simple 4 Def/252 SpA/ 252 Spe spread. Item I'd recommend is Life Orb or Choice Specs. Hydro Pump/ Ice Beam/ Grass Knot should be a staple. As for the last slot, don't use Protect or Encore unless you are using it for Doubles/Triples. If you go with Specs, maybe try Hidden Power Fire for Ferrothorn or Surf/Scald for a 100% accurate water move in the last slot. For the Life Orb set, you can run Taunt or Toxic to help deal with special walls or Substitute for just general utility.

Samurott has a pretty shallow offensive movepool, especially on the special side. It isn't very fortunate with the HA it got either. But since it's going to be special anyway and thus can't run Swords Dance + Aqua Jet, you should just go with a simple 4 Def/252 SpA/ 252 Spe spread. Item I'd recommend is Life Orb or Choice Specs. Hydro Pump/ Ice Beam/ Grass Knot should be a staple. As for the last slot, don't use Protect or Encore unless you are using it for Doubles/Triples. If you go with Specs, maybe try Hidden Power Fire for Ferrothorn or Surf/Scald for a 100% accurate water move in the last slot. For the Life Orb set, you can run Taunt or Toxic to help deal with special walls or Substitute for just general utility.
Thanks!

So would you say that investing the 252 EVs in HP rather than Speed is not viable? My issue with investing 252 in Speed is tjat with just 70 base speed, would he be able to outspeed many Pokemon? Also, considering his HP is very good, wouldn´t it be wiser to invest 252 there instead in the Speed stat? Or is this not viable?

I swear there used to be a topic for this but I assume a level 1 Dialga in a Master ball is fake? I know you can get them at level 1 in HGSS... but not in a MB right? I put up my legit gen 4 Palkia to the GTS (on Sun) for a Dialga as I didn't have one and the one I got in return is level 1 in the MB... I don't want it if it's fake and Im 99% sure it is but if it is, how did it get through the GTS

Thanks!

So would you say that investing the 252 EVs in HP rather than Speed is not viable? My issue with investing 252 in Speed is tjat with just 70 base speed, would he be able to outspeed many Pokemon? Also, considering his HP is very good, wouldn´t it be wiser to invest 252 there instead in the Speed stat? Or is this not viable?
If you are going with an all-out attacking set, max speed is necessary. 70 isn't great speed, especially for the higher tiers, but you still see base 70's running max speed like Breloom, Bisharp, and Metagross because they need to be able to hit hard as fast as possible. If you are playing VGC or doubles, you could add some defensive investment to live certain attacks. The only other justification I see for investing in HP is if you use an Assault Vest on your Samurott.
I swear there used to be a topic for this but I assume a level 1 Dialga in a Master ball is fake? I know you can get them at level 1 in HGSS... but not in a MB right? I put up my legit gen 4 Palkia to the GTS (on Sun) for a Dialga as I didn't have one and the one I got in return is level 1 in the MB... I don't want it if it's fake and Im 99% sure it is but if it is, how did it get through the GTS
It's most likely illegitimate. The in-build hack checker is not as thorough as it should be.

I thought as much which sucks, the Palkia had Pokerus too, so it really does suck some guy gave me a hacked Mon.

If you are going with an all-out attacking set, max speed is necessary. 70 isn't great speed, especially for the higher tiers, but you still see base 70's running max speed like Breloom, Bisharp, and Metagross because they need to be able to hit hard as fast as possible. If you are playing VGC or doubles, you could add some defensive investment to live certain attacks. The only other justification I see for investing in HP is if you use an Assault Vest on your Samurott.
Thanks again man! I am gonna follow your advice.

And about where I am gonna use Samurott, I am mainly using him in the Battle Maison. And occasionally on the Battle Spot and PSS.

So, I'm training up a Jangmo-o. I've already sorted out the 252 Sp.Atk, but I'm just wondering what would be the most productive way to distribute the remaining stats. Would it be better to go 252 HP/6 Sp.Def, or 128 Def/128 Sp.Def?

I'll put the rest of the set-up here too in case anyone'd like to give me a little criticism on that (Please note that no matter what you suggest I will not be giving it Focus Blast).

Kommo-o
  • Female
  • Serious
  • Bulletproof
  • Kommonium-Z
  • Moves
    • Draco Meteor
    • Clanging Scales
    • Flamethrower
    • Flash Cannon
I know the Nature's not the best, but I'd been going with this so long I just settled.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom