• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

If you put this into Pokemon Showdown it will give you the recommended spread.

252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef is what it gave me :)
Oh, right, forgot Showdown did that. Thanks for the advice Zachie.

So, I'm training up a Jangmo-o. I've already sorted out the 252 Sp.Atk, but I'm just wondering what would be the most productive way to distribute the remaining stats. Would it be better to go 252 HP/6 Sp.Def, or 128 Def/128 Sp.Def?

I'll put the rest of the set-up here too in case anyone'd like to give me a little criticism on that (Please note that no matter what you suggest I will not be giving it Focus Blast).

Kommo-o
  • Female
  • Serious
  • Bulletproof
  • Kommonium-Z
  • Moves
    • Draco Meteor
    • Clanging Scales
    • Flamethrower
    • Flash Cannon
I know the Nature's not the best, but I'd been going with this so long I just settled.
I was making a similar set but without Draco meteor and having with either rock polish, or autotomize with 252 sp Attack and 252 Speed and 4 in either defense or special defense with a timid nature and soundproof :lol: either way works since you sacrifice bulk for speed but if it's for doubles it doesn't matter as much if you have counters to fairies and faster Dragon types

Excuse me, fellas. I have a question I like to ask of you. Can the Sinnoh Ash pikachu learn Electro Ball? Because I like to get the one from either Sinnoh or Kalos. I like Sinnoh because of Ash's growth, its pokemon, its region,and Cynthia. I Iike Kalos because of Serena, her crush on Ash is real, his Kalos friends, including Clemont, the nice and smart version of Misty, and Bonnie , who is like the mini-Brock,and Ash's growth as his maturity increases thanks to Serena's influence.

Excuse me, fellas. I have a question I like to ask of you. Can the Sinnoh Ash pikachu learn Electro Ball? Because I like to get the one from either Sinnoh or Kalos. I like Sinnoh because of Ash's growth, its pokemon, its region,and Cynthia. I Iike Kalos because of Serena, her crush on Ash is real, his Kalos friends, including Clemont, the nice and smart version of Misty, and Bonnie , who is like the mini-Brock,and Ash's growth as his maturity increases thanks to Serena's influence.
Yeah, it learns at lvl 13. So you'd just have to level it up from 10 to 13 and it'd get the move.

Random question, but I have a Contrary 5IV Serperior with a Timid nature in my Y version.

It knows Glare, Substitute, Leaf Storm and Wring Out.

I can't get it to an ORAS move tutor just yet, but do you all think I should keep Wring Out or teach it Hidden Power (which would be Dragon typed)?

Random question, but I have a Contrary 5IV Serperior with a Timid nature in my Y version.

I can't get it to an ORAS move tutor just yet, but do you all think I should keep Wring Out or teach it Hidden Power (which would be Dragon typed)?
Hidden Power is usually used for coverage, so a Dragon HP wouldn't necessarily help too much. Though, I guess it would help against Dragon types specifically, that can resist Leaf Storm. I'd still keep the Wring Out, however.

Hidden Power is usually used for coverage, so a Dragon HP wouldn't necessarily help too much. Though, I guess it would help against Dragon types specifically, that can resist Leaf Storm. I'd still keep the Wring Out, however.
Got it, thanks!

I haven't played my Y in a while, thus I think my goal was to use Wring Out as a way to bring the opponents health to half, to put them in Leaf Storm range (after firing an initial Leaf Storm of course). I've read that HP Fire, Ice & Ground are all the usual coverage moves for a Contrary Serperior currently, so I was just curious if I should have HP Dragon or keep Wring Out.

Wring out is more of a situational move that's not entirely consistent. If you can't get HP fire or ice on serperior or tutor moves, I'd say Leech Seed or even Giga Drain are better candidates for the final move slot, as some kind of recovery option.

Hi there! Back with another question. I wanted help in deciding a move set for my Eelektross in Moon. I recently got a Modest, competitive Tynamo over WonderTrade and I want to use it for battles on Battle Spot and random fights here and there. Has anyone used a special set with moderate success in Sun & Moon? Smogon doesn't have a very verbose Sun & Moon entry...

Unfortunately, there are no move tutors in Moon, thus Tynamo doesn't have access to Giga Drain (or even Drain Punch). But it can still learn a lot of TM moves though after it evolves fully. What do you all recommend I teach it? And yes, I know there may be better Electric types than Eelektross for roles, but I really want to use the lamprey-it is one of my favorite Electric type Pokemon.

I was thinking something with Acid Spray since Eelektross can make good use of that sharply lowered defense (as well as the rest of the team, provided the opponent doesn't switch)...?

Hi there! Back with another question. I wanted help in deciding a move set for my Eelektross in Moon. I recently got a Modest, competitive Tynamo over WonderTrade and I want to use it for battles on Battle Spot and random fights here and there. Has anyone used a special set with moderate success in Sun & Moon? Smogon doesn't have a very verbose Sun & Moon entry...

Unfortunately, there are no move tutors in Moon, thus Tynamo doesn't have access to Giga Drain (or even Drain Punch). But it can still learn a lot of TM moves though after it evolves fully. What do you all recommend I teach it? And yes, I know there may be better Electric types than Eelektross for roles, but I really want to use the lamprey-it is one of my favorite Electric type Pokemon.

I was thinking something with Acid Spray since Eelektross can make good use of that sharply lowered defense (as well as the rest of the team, provided the opponent doesn't switch)...?
Eelektross is one of those weird ones that doesn't really have a clear role/set based on its stats spread and movepool. The set I've used most is a mixed Trick Room variant for Wi-Fi competitions. Something like this
Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower/Thunderbolt
- Drain Punch/Superpower
- Knock Off/Super Fang
I've seen mild success with a Coil-set here and there as well. But in your case, without Tutor Moves and a strictly special set I'd try something along these lines
Eelektross @ Choice Specs/Life Orb/Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Flamethrower
- HP Ice/ HP Grass/ Grass Knot/ Thunder Wave

Eelektross is one of those weird ones that doesn't really have a clear role/set based on its stats spread and movepool. The set I've used most is a mixed Trick Room variant for Wi-Fi competitions. Something like this
Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower/Thunderbolt
- Drain Punch/Superpower
- Knock Off/Super Fang
I've seen mild success with a Coil-set here and there as well. But in your case, without Tutor Moves and a strictly special set I'd try something along these lines
Eelektross @ Choice Specs/Life Orb/Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Flamethrower
- HP Ice/ HP Grass/ Grass Knot/ Thunder Wave
Thanks @Slife !

I ended up going with the bottom, and have had great results. Luckily, my Eelektross has Hidden Power Ice. So that has picked up several KOs on Landorus Therians and Garchomps. The only other move I substituted for is Acid Spray, because I really like the potential behind it. Sure enough, it has either caused switches or allowed Eelektross (or a partner) to successfully knock out the weakened Pokemon in the next turn (since I use her for Battle Spot Doubles).

Once USUM come sout, I'll try raising n Eelektross with the above moveset.

So, a question, is it worth keeping Morning Sun on my Arcanine? I know it's got some bulk, but I'm really not sure if it's got enough to justify a healing move.
Also, Burn Up, worth it or no? It'll get rid of weaknesses, but it'll also take away STAB, and the planned build doesn't use Sp.Atk EVs, and has a -Sp.Atk nature, so will it really be worth using up a moveslot for?

So, a question, is it worth keeping Morning Sun on my Arcanine? I know it's got some bulk, but I'm really not sure if it's got enough to justify a healing move.
Also, Burn Up, worth it or no? It'll get rid of weaknesses, but it'll also take away STAB, and the planned build doesn't use Sp.Atk EVs, and has a -Sp.Atk nature, so will it really be worth using up a moveslot for?
It depends. Are you using a defensive Arcanine? If so, yes, so you can continue tanking for longer. If not, then it may not be necessary. About Burn Up, I don't think it is worth it, as cool as the idea for that move is. Unless you think you are going to be seeing a bunch of SE stuff against you. In fact, it could work together with Morning Sun, again, as a defensive Arcanine.

It depends. Are you using a defensive Arcanine? If so, yes, so you can continue tanking for longer. If not, then it may not be necessary. About Burn Up, I don't think it is worth it, as cool as the idea for that move is. Unless you think you are going to be seeing a bunch of SE stuff against you. In fact, it could work together with Morning Sun, again, as a defensive Arcanine.
Cool, thanks for the tip. The intention was for more of a sweeper Arcanine, I might try a defensive set with those two though, see which works better.

For Battle Spot Doubles in Sun/Moon, I want to try using a Follow Me Clefable. But I see that Clefairy has Friend Guard as its HA (and can hold an Eviolite).

Thus, in your opinion or experience, which is generally better for that environment? Clefairy or Clefable?

Eh new question-is the Sitrus Berry generally better than the 50% berries, or no? 50% of health being restored seems pretty awesome, but it has a low triggering point though...
Generally you'll wanna go for Sitrus, since it's hard to count on hitting the red, but you can generally count on hitting less than half. Of course, if you've got something with Gluttony, go right ahead with the 50% Berries.

What's the best nature, move set, and EV spread for Lunala?
Best set is definitely Calm Mind + 3 attacks + Z-crystal since Shadow Shield helps it set up nicely, but Choice Scarf/Specs sets work well too. Psychium Z with Hypnosis is another cool option.
Lunala @ Lunalium Z/Ghostium Z
Ability: Shadow Shield
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam/Psyshock
Let me know if there's anything you'd like clarified, and good luck with your battles! :)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom